OT Ty Nsekhe (Redskins) to the Bills

MAJBobby

31 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think he has a chance to start at RT. I'm sorry but I am not moving my hand picked, 24 year old left tackle to another position for a 33 year old journeyman, one year wonder. It makes zero sense. I'm not hating on Nsehke, I'm simply stating that Dion Dawkins need to stay at left tackle until he proves that he can't do it. He's struggled a bit, but moving him off the position at this point makes no sense, especially for an older player who might just be here for a year or two. Development is important and I am confident Dion will be better. 

Dawkins needs a solid LG next to him. With Incognito next to him he looked fine, last year he looked lost.

Mongo/ Long/ Teller should help and a very good veteran C should call out better protections to the line. Nsehke is a solid insurance policy at either OT position and the draft is still available. I keep seeing Jonah Williams falling to 9. JW is a complete McBeane type of guy. With D Williams not being highly pursued, I am fine drafting a RT at #9 for a young franchise QB. If Nsehke has to start for a year and wait till 2020 for RT, fine. If he is a valuable swing tackle even better.

Depth and options. Good signing for only 7.7 guaranteed.

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

Dawkins needs a solid LG next to him. With Incognito next to him he looked fine, last year he looked lost.

Mongo/ Long/ Teller should help and a very good veteran C should call out better protections to the line. Nsehke is a solid insurance policy at either OT position and the draft is still available. I keep seeing Jonah Williams falling to 9. JW is a complete McBeane type of guy. With D Williams not being highly pursued, I am fine drafting a RT at #9 for a young franchise QB. If Nsehke has to start for a year and wait till 2020 for RT, fine. If he is a valuable swing tackle even better.

Depth and options. Good signing for only 7.7 guaranteed.

I'm not a big OT-at-9 guy, but if that's the direction they go, I really hope it's Taylor or Dilliard. 

I like Jonah, but to me he's a center that can probably be a fine guard and an emergency option at OT.

I feel the same way about Risner FWIW

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I'm not a big OT-at-9 guy, but if that's the direction they go, I really hope it's Taylor or Dilliard. 

I like Jonah, but to me he's a center that can probably be a fine guard and an emergency option at OT.

I feel the same way about Risner FWIW

Serious question, what are the weaknesses in Jonah Williams game?

He is rated 1-3 in top OT grades.

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think he has a chance to start at RT. I'm sorry but I am not moving my hand picked, 24 year old left tackle to another position for a 33 year old journeyman, one year wonder. It makes zero sense. I'm not hating on Nsehke, I'm simply stating that Dion Dawkins need to stay at left tackle until he proves that he can't do it. He's struggled a bit, but moving him off the position at this point makes no sense, especially for an older player who might just be here for a year or two. Development is important and I am confident Dion will be better. 

A reason would be if you think Dawkins can become a superstar guard and Nsekhe a better pass protector at LT.

Job #1 is to make the young QB better.    It's probably jobs #1-10 to be honest.

And if you are going to move Dawkins...........now is the time.........after an admittedly disappointing season that followed an offseason where he knows he didn't put in the work.

If I had to make a prediction Dawkins and the Bills will be headed for a divorce come contract time anyway if he stays at LT.............he's never going to be anything more than an average LT IMO and they aren't going to want to pay him $20M per year to do that and he will get close to that on the open market...........he is a sweet-spot candidate to make it to FA based on his profile so far, IMO.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

A reason would be if you think Dawkins can become a superstar guard and Nsekhe a better pass protector at LT.

Job #1 is to make the young QB better.    It's probably jobs #1-10 to be honest.

And if you are going to move Dawkins...........now is the time.........after an admittedly disappointing season that followed an offseason where he knows he didn't put in the work.

If I had to make a prediction Dawkins and the Bills will be headed for a divorce come contract time anyway if he stays at LT.............he's never going to be anything more than an average LT IMO and they aren't going to want to pay him $20M per year to do that and he will get close to that on the open market...........he is a sweet-spot candidate to make it to FA based on his profile so far, IMO.

I hear you and great points. For me though, I wouldn't move him until I was absolutely sure he could not be an excellent tackle, and I'm not there yet. Up and down play with an online coach in Castillo who meshes great with some and not with others. I still think Dion has the athleticism and upside to be a top 10-15 left tackle and moving him in to guard would be my ultimate fallback. He admittedly got a little lazy. While that annoys me, I respect him for being honest instead of making excuses or blaming someone else. I think we should draft a guy like a Max Sharping to develop and to push him. Also I feel like having Nsehke around will be a boost to the o-line room, because that is a guy who has had to work his butt of just to latch on with an NFL team and his hard work has finally paid off in some gauatanteed money. He took nothing for granted. Morse is also a leader and big time worker. Let's see what Dion does this year and go from there. 

7 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Serious question, what are the weaknesses in Jonah Williams game?

He is rated 1-3 in top OT grades.

It's not so much weaknesses in his game at OT as it is where I think he's best suited to play.

He looks much more comfortable moving down the LOS than away from it, his reaction time is terrific, and he can work his way through traffic and hit targets. To me, those traits, combined with his excellent play recognition, scream center.

People will tell you that he's not OT material because he lacks length and contact balance on the EDGE, but I think that's overstated. It's just that OT isnt his best position. He can likely be a fine RT, but I'm not looking for "fine" or a RT in the first round.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/12/2019 at 4:46 PM, Reed83HOF said:

I can't argue with it. I saw a few tweets, we can pretty much walk away from all of our FA signings next year with no cap hit. 

It was masterful work by Beene. I haven't been his biggest cheerleader but I'm impressed.

9 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I hear you and great points. For me though, I wouldn't move him until I was absolutely sure he could not be an excellent tackle, and I'm not there yet. Up and down play with an online coach in Castillo who meshes great with some and not with others. I still think Dion has the athleticism and upside to be a top 10-15 left tackle and moving him in to guard would be my ultimate fallback. He admittedly got a little lazy. While that annoys me, I respect him for being honest instead of making excuses or blaming someone else. I think we should draft a guy like a Max Sharping to develop and to push him. Also I feel like having Nsehke around will be a boost to the o-line room, because that is a guy who has had to work his butt of just to latch on with an NFL team and his hard work has finally paid off in some gauatanteed money. He took nothing for granted. Morse is also a leader and big time worker. Let's see what Dion does this year and go from there. 

Yeah it really depends on your trust of Dawkins ability.

As for being a top 10-15........I think his ceiling is middle of the league, which isn't that far off......well outside of the elite.........and those are the guys that end up as the top available LT in a UFA market.

The problem with just re-installing him at LT and seeing what he does this year is that with even modest improvement from Dion that sets you up for a situation where he won't move going into his walk year.

Now is the time if they are going to do it.

I do hope, as you do, that they do draft a LT prospect in the first 4 rounds though because I can see them keeping Dawkins at LT and needing to have a replacement in-house after the 2020 season.

Maybe even after the 2019 season if the situation I project above unfolds.    Depending on the depth of the tackle market in the 2020 draft the Bills might be able to trade Dawkins for quality if they have a replacement in-house and foresee not being able to agree with he and his agent on their value.

• Like (+1) 3

I heard someone on Cowherd today (did not hear who it was) that said this was one of the best pick-ups so far in free agency.  He said Nsekhe will be a difference maker on our line from day one. I was excited to hear this.

(edit: it was Warren Sharp)

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Like (+1) 5

13 minutes ago, njbuff said:

How do you pronounce his name?

Otherwise, I think this signing was to put him at LT and move Dawkins over to RT, given nothing else is done at the T position. 

N sek ee

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

This dude is the real deal . Performed at a high level at Right and LT. Can give Dawkins a run for his money.

This is it exactly.  We got versatile guys for a reason.  New asst. line coach to evaluate.  The only thing is the first time you're going to see them standing next to each other, one's going to look like a LG, and the other is going to look like a LT.  Let's hope they play next to each other well.  If they do, the whole left side is strong as you could hope.  Right side will once again become the problem.

19 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If they moved him to guard, what a waste and misjudgment it was in thinking he'd be better than Cordy.

• Like (+1) 1

We have a new O-line coach who is ready to go to work and make a name for himself.  A proven vet leader in Morse who can keep the guys in check and two new hungry linemen in Nsekhe and Feliciano who are finally getting their chance after being in the shadows for years.  Then there is Long who had a lot of success in Washington and then got hurt and knows he is probably on his last chance.  Dawkins is now on notice and realizes he needs to produce or he will be gone just like the rest of the O-linemen from last season.  I expect a lot of energy and determination out of this new group. I think it is a huge upgrade over last year's line and Beane has done a great job of getting them here.

Bobby Jackson has no loyalty or prejudices towards anyone on the roster.  There should be an open competition for every guard and tackle spot and I expect Nsekhe to be our starting left tackle in the season opener.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1