Updated: Salary Cap $32.9 million under 2019 & $75.8 mil under 2020

49 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

2019 Left

image.png.6304e588dde9c3217c9b8ec0660b5825.png

image.png.7ad793974acb2c6f21964b1c3220cc6a.png

So whats the difference between adjusted and maximum salary cap?   I'd have expected 2020 to be a larger number than 2019, so am guessing by the time next spring rolls around the adjusted 2020 cap will maybe add $20 mil or so on top??

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So whats the difference between adjusted and maximum salary cap?   I'd have expected 2020 to be a larger number than 2019, so am guessing by the time next spring rolls around the adjusted 2020 cap will maybe add $20 mil or so on top??

This years adjusted cap is the 2018 cap (188,200,000) plus last years rollover.

Right now they are only projecting this years cap for next years numbers.

The Bills actual cap for next year will increase by the raising of the cap for all teams for 2020 plus whatever

rollover the Bills will have.

You are right, it should be about 20 million more (10 in increase and 10 or so rollover.)

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Having a lot of space doesn’t mean best managed. 

Yeah the narrative that they were horribly cap managed under Whaley is mostly fiction.

The doozie contract was the one given Dareus that didn't include clauses for personal conduct...........and that was totally on Terry Pegula for giving a sweetheart deal to Dareus' agent and former Pegula employee Todd France........not on Whaley.    

There was a giddiness within the organization that winter and some bad deals were made but you could certainly argue that the current regime has been careless with vast assets as well with the lopsided contract to Lotulelei.......throwing away money on the unnecessary Wood extension.......the very price one week rental on Corey Coleman..........basically an 0-9 UFA season last winter........not exactly flawless execution.

But Whaley signing Lorax and Zach Brown and watching them produce 16.5 sacks and 200 tackles for a paltry $5M combined...........acquired Taylor for peanuts in UFA..........got Incognito extra cheapo...........yeah that guy was just always so awful with money.:flirt:

Not saying the prior regime didn't make their share of cap mistakes but McDermott and Beane simply wanted to quickly flip the roster and that gets expensive wrt dead money when you have a veteran team like they inherited.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah the narrative that they were horribly cap managed under Whaley is mostly fiction.

The doozie contract was the one given Dareus that didn't include clauses for personal conduct...........and that was totally on Terry Pegula for giving a sweetheart deal to Dareus' agent and former Pegula employee Todd France........not on Whaley.    

There was a giddiness within the organization that winter and some bad deals were made but you could certainly argue that the current regime has been careless with vast assets as well with the lopsided contract to Lotulelei.......throwing away money on the unnecessary Wood extension.......the very price one week rental on Corey Coleman..........basically an 0-9 UFA season last winter........not exactly flawless execution.

But Whaley signing Lorax and Zach Brown and watching them produce 16.5 sacks and 200 tackles for a paltry $5M combined...........acquired Taylor for peanuts in UFA..........got Incognito extra cheapo...........yeah that guy was just always so awful with money.:flirt:

Not saying the prior regime didn't make their share of cap mistakes but McDermott and Beane simply wanted to quickly flip the roster and that gets expensive wrt dead money when you have a veteran team like they inherited.

IMO Whaley wasn't a bad GM, just not a good GM.

He looked at signing individual players and did pretty good.

What he didn't do is put a team together.

Beane with his vision I think is much better.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

With the exception of Morse and maybe Beasley.......I think they plan to draft what they hope are replacements for most of the UFA's they signed.

These dudes are mostly placeholders.

If they get lucky and a few of these UFA's make it past year 2 that will be either mean they drafted poorly or those UFA's significantly exceeded reasonable expectations.

Hmmm, that parts of it but I also think they are full on mining the league trying to find the next Jerry Hughes. The next guy ready to breakout.

On 3/19/2019 at 12:46 PM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

you can't really calculate 2020 until 2019's dust has settled.  

Add in any carryovers or cap increases. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

This years adjusted cap is the 2018 cap (188,200,000) plus last years rollover.

Right now they are only projecting this years cap for next years numbers.

The Bills actual cap for next year will increase by the raising of the cap for all teams for 2020 plus whatever

rollover the Bills will have.

You are right, it should be about 20 million more (10 in increase and 10 or so rollover.)

So if the Bills never signed another player this year their rollover would be $33 mil, plus the yearly adjustment??

12 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

IMO Whaley wasn't a bad GM, just not a good GM.

He looked at signing individual players and did pretty good.

What he didn't do is put a team together.

Beane with his vision I think is much better.

It was time for Whaley to go...........but it's been said many times before that he never had the choice of HC and he also had a grass green owner who created a very tough situation for him.

The road to failure is paved with excuses though and to some extent Whaley is responsible for not carving out a sweeter spot for himself.

I think as a pure personnel man he's probably much better than Beane...........it might even be an unfair comparison.........Whaley is a scout by trade and Beane is an office man by trade.

But Beane is also a MUCH better situation to work in.........a situation he and McD surely worked hard to set up..........and he's much, much better at handling the other GM responsibilities outside of just scouting.  

The days of GM's who can hide on the scouting trail are over.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah, that veteran team that hadn't done diddly poo.  It's amazing the conjecture and opinion you throw out as fact -- now we hear that Whaley was good with the cap and the Dareus contract was a Pegula favor to Todd France!  This is priceless.  :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It was time for Whaley to go...........but it's been said many times before that he never had the choice of HC and he also had a grass green owner who created a very tough situation for him.

The road to failure is paved with excuses though and to some extent Whaley is responsible for not carving out a sweeter spot for himself.

I think as a pure personnel man he's probably much better than Beane...........it might even be an unfair comparison.........Whaley is a scout by trade and Beane is an office man by trade.

But Beane is also a MUCH better situation to work in.........a situation he and McD surely worked hard to set up..........and he's much, much better at handling the other GM responsibilities outside of just scouting.  

The days of GM's who can hide on the scouting trail are over.

Whaley was a better scout

Beane is a guy who understand the concept of hiring good scouts to do that job and he oversee's everything and is involved in everything.

I like the Beane model better

• Like (+1) 4

21 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So if the Bills never signed another player this year their rollover would be $33 mil, plus the yearly adjustment??

Yes.

FWIW, Beane says he likes to keep enough money going into camp to have flexibility.

That number seems to be in the teens.

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Beane is a guy who understand the concept of hiring good scouts to do that job and he oversee's everything and is involved in everything.

Exactly - like professional leaders and managers.  Hire the best team possible and let them do their jobs to the strategy established by Beane.

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

4 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Exactly - like professional leaders and managers.  Hire the best team possible and let them do their jobs to the strategy established by Beane.

I don't care what your job is CEO of a Fortune 500 company, NFL GM, or a ditch digger, there will always be parts of everyone's job that they enjoy more than other parts and tend to do a better job at that part, it's the fun part.  For Whaley, I too think it was the scouting part, which may have caused the business part to suffer as a result and not get as much attention as needed.

Always thought that was true of John Butler too.  he enjoyed the scouting part and tended to often over pay for players as he didn't have the time or desire to spend on the negotiation part.

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I don't care what your job is CEO of a Fortune 500 company, NFL GM, or a ditch digger, there will always be parts of everyone's job that they enjoy more than other parts and tend to do a better job at that part, it's the fun part.  For Whaley, I too think it was the scouting part, which may have caused the business part to suffer as a result and not get as much attention as needed.

Always thought that was true of John Butler too.  he enjoyed the scouting part and tended to often over pay for players as he didn't have the time or desire to spend on the negotiation part.

All of this is true

Still it is very refreshing to know that our Cap situation is now in hand not just this year but for future years because we have a GM that DOES negotiate these contracts and not overspend......

We are way under the cap after signing 10 free agents......

and

We will go into next year STILL in a very good cap situation to continue to add is we wish

5 hours ago, foreboding said:

This is great. Jets make a splash but never learn, they will be right back here in 2-3 years whereas Beane has retained so much flexibility.

Normally I would say just looking at this graph without context, we aren't in great shape when you see the teams we are lumped in with. However, take into account the Lions - theirs was one basically one player - the raiders had 3 players (including AB), we had 9 players. The Jets spent that on Bell and an ILB = not good. They are still in great cap shape, but are overpaying to get players to go there imo

Edited by Reed83HOF