FBI accuses wealthy parents, including celebrities Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin, in college-entrance bribery scheme

dpberr

9 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I tended to hope years ago the whole student loan market would blow up like the housing one did 10 years ago.  Hence less emphasis as a college education as the end all/be all

Give AI and automation a little more time.

Let it get it's sights set a little better on the legal profession and dive into the huge money of that cesspool industry.

On 3/15/2019 at 1:39 PM, DC Tom said:

No, it's a completely different thing.  

Giving money to schools so you can get in is permissible.  This is paying money to a "service" that defrauds schools with false academic and athletic records.  

So if the money goes to the school, its ok

If the money goes to someone else its a punishable crime.....

Wife and I went to see this last night...timely..and sure they are killing themselves only a week left in its run. For anyone in DC, highly recommend. BTW, they release whatever tickets they have left 30 minutes before curtain for $30..greta value. You can go on site to pick seats to see if there will be any available.

https://www.studiotheatre.org/plays/play-detail/2018-2019-Admissions

On 3/15/2019 at 8:39 AM, DC Tom said:

It's amusing that so many think this case is people bribing colleges to get their children in, and that proves there's no "meritocracy."

When it's people paying to have their children's records faked and defraud the schools, because their halfwit kids couldn't succeed in the "meritocracy."

The phone calls were pricelsss as the parents bargained down the SAT scores because even they had to admit nobody would believe their kid was anything but a half-wit 

One kid complained that they didn’t have their score boosted to perfect....

8 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I am not sure you are following what DC is saying?

Effing up the integrity of the admissions system is punishable.

Admission is comprised of:

1/3 legacies 

1/3 brainiacs 

1/3 others that the school wants to admit at its own discretion....athletes, artists, quotas, and now the Hollywood bribery racket that cannot dream of being a part of the first two categories 

11 minutes ago, row_33 said:

1/3 legacies 

1/3 brainiacs 

1/3 others that the school wants to admit at its own discretion....athletes, artists, quotas, and now the Hollywood bribery racket that cannot dream of being a part of the first two categories 

No. The 1/3 Hollywood bribery racket does not get lumped into the third discretionary bracket.  It changes the game for the brainacs bracket. That's why it is a criminal offense. It gets lumped into with the brainacs.  That's why it's a problem 

Are people really missing this?  I am really not surprised.  Our society is so far gone.

giphy.gif

This whole scandal makes me think of Tommy Boy.  It doesn’t matter what these kids do in college.  The same parents that bribed to get them in will make sure they get a job when they “graduate”. The whole point is bragging rights for the parents and the kids. 

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

1/3 legacies 

1/3 brainiacs 

No. 

On 3/15/2019 at 1:39 PM, DC Tom said:

No, it's a completely different thing.  

Giving money to schools so you can get in is permissible.  This is paying money to a "service" that defrauds schools with false academic and athletic records.  

This is it. That a tiny minority of admissions spots go to children of alum who made the entire school a better place through their donations is not the problem. 

This service, and the many others not busted, the many bribes not outed, and the many SATs cheated on...is an actual problem. 

My daughter will go through the admissions process this fall. I’m guessing it will be the cleanest cycle in 20 years!

Edited by BeginnersMind

On 3/15/2019 at 12:48 PM, apuszczalowski said:

I wonder if this would have even been a story if it didnt involve 2 Hollywood families. But because theres people involved that are 'celebrities', it's taking over the media and made out to be a huge deal.

Sometimes you reap what you sew.

Personally, I couldn’t give a ***** about any celebrity in any aspect of life.

However, when celebrities are out there as political activists, like what they say actually matters, I guess this is why it is news.

13 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

So if the money goes to the school, its ok

If the money goes to someone else its a punishable crime.....

If the money is used to bribe people into accepting falsified scholastic records, it's fraud, and illegal.  

Why is that so hard to understand?  Hell, by your standard I bribed my way into graduate school, since I promised them money in return for admission.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

If the money is used to bribe people into accepting falsified scholastic records, it's fraud, and illegal.  

Why is that so hard to understand?  Hell, by your standard I bribed my way into graduate school, since I promised them money in return for admission.

So it's just a coincidence when a kid has no problem getting in when his last name is on the library, or sports building, or a 'donation' is made to one of the departments at the school. 

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

So it's just a coincidence when a kid has no problem getting in when his last name is on the library, or sports building, or a 'donation' is made to one of the departments at the school. 

No.  But THAT'S NOT FRAUD.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.