Can we please put the "Bills can't recruit FAs" narrative to bed now?

Logic

I think they are doing the same thing to offense as they did to defense when they first came onboard. Plugging in guys that have value and then will add guys through draft and coach them up. Didn't we have a top defense last year? If all goes the same on O they should be alright. Throwing large contracts at a couple single players is a good way to limit multiple areas of the team and end result, you will be bad. We do not need any super star players that won't buy into the process....

4 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Bills can recruit FAs when we're not competing against other teams for those FAs. Simple. You never see '5 teams in talks with [player]" and the Bills come out winning that FA. 

There's always an excuse.

1 hour ago, BringBackOrton said:

We aren't talking about "necessary to build a good team."  A good long snapper is "necessary." That doesn't make it a marquee signing. 

Try to pay attention.

The Bills have also always been able to sign FAs, they have never gone into a season fielding only half a roster cause no one wanted to sign. Its whether they can get the top level guys to agree. Lower level FAs, big names at the tail end of their careers, they will sign wherever the can in most cases. Yes, one year the Bill's signed Mario William's after days of wooing and offering huge money. But it's not common, and none of the guys they are set to sign would be considered the elite guys. Morse might be the highest level guy, but he wasnt even the biggest name at his position, and there weren't a ton of teams with a guaranteed starting spot at C in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

The Bills have also always been able to sign FAs, they have never gone into a season fielding only half a roster cause no one wanted to sign. Its whether they can get the top level guys to agree. Lower level FAs, big names at the tail end of their careers, they will sign wherever the can in most cases. Yes, one year the Bill's signed Mario William's after days of wooing and offering huge money. But it's not common, and none of the guys they are set to sign would be considered the elite guys. Morse might be the highest level guy, but he wasnt even the biggest name at his position, and there weren't a ton of teams with a guaranteed starting spot at C in the league.

Exactly.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Isn't it fun to be willfully obtuse?!

1 hour ago, fridge said:

I'm sorry, what? You're the one who begs so badly to be relevant that you can't help but start a thread to shout out, "look at us! we did something! we're relevant!"

Whatever. The signings are perfectly fine. Certainly nothing to be too upset or excited about. I will never understand the people of Buffalo's obsession with being a destination. Maybe you said it best, a Napoleon Complex.

A guy with the name "Logic" makes a general statement that free agents won't come to Buffalo and points to this UFA signing period as evidence. We forget that John Brown turned Buffalo down last year and it's logical to deduce that he went to Baltimore because they were closer to competing for a title.  This, as opposed to Buffalo featuring Nate Peterman and likely a rookie at QB.

Buffalo took Josh Allen last year and I'd say most fans think he'll take a step in the right direction in 2019.  Still, as a player, you want to win AND get paid.  It's why someone like Teddy Bridgewater turned Miami  down to remain New Orleans' backup.  It's why higher end UFAs like Morse, Brown, and Beasley are now willing to come to Buffalo.     

When you win or players think you've got a legit chance to win, your team becomes more attractive.  That and you offer a lot of money.  Buffalo still has a lot to prove on the field, but they've made some moves in the right direction because players think they're finally getting it right. 

I don't think there's a fan-base in the entire NFL with more of an inferiority complex.  Yet, if you win, they'll come (apologies to Ray Kinsella) and hopefully Buffalo turns around after 20 years of bad to mediocre football so they can continue to attract better talent.

Edited by BillsVet

52 minutes ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

Regarding each signing in and of itself - the question to ask is "did we upgrade ourselves at that player's position".  The answer is yes across the board.

Although that not setting the bar high considering some of the guys they will be replacing......

Theres nothing wrong with the players they signed, they all appear to be upgrades (Johnson and Gore are questionable upgrades) for decent value that will help. They arent guys that ate going to blow people away, but they are good signings that will help.

This is absurd. There are only so many roster spots in the NFL and guys want to get paid. No one ever claimed the Bills cannot sign any players. The talk is that they cannot attract the marquee names. The closest to that this year is Morse. The rest are all the types of signings the team has done for years. 

12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You dont think Morse was not being looked at by other NFL teams?

Really?

The talk has been all about Paradis and Morse was viewed as the consolation prize. Bills offered the consolation prize big money and he took it. Dont remember seeing or hearing anything about the market for him though.

There are also only a few teams with a desparate need for a starting C right now

Edited by apuszczalowski

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

A consolation prize?

WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

Take a lap

Ok, show me one report listing him as the top C available, and show me some rumor or report of teams that were interested in him as their top choice.

The top choice in the FA C market was Paradis, Morse was viewed as the next best available option, or sonsolation prize for a team that couldnt get Paradis

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

Ok, show me one report listing him as the top C available, and show me some rumor or report of teams that were interested in him as their top choice.

The top choice in the FA C market was Paradis, Morse was viewed as the next best available option, or sonsolation prize for a team that couldnt get Paradis

^this guy :lol:

• Like (+1) 2