Can we please put the "Bills can't recruit FAs" narrative to bed now?

Logic

Obviously, claiming no FAs will come to Buffalo is an over exaggeration, but I do think there is difficulty in attracting talent to this city and team. Whether the difficulty is warranted or not is kind of besides the point, because I think it exists. Not all talent feels this way, as evidenced by our yearly signings, but I think it’s obviously a factor year in and year out.

But hey, why not start a thread to disprove an obvious over exaggeration and not address the salient points of the argument. Because...like button? 

Edited by Buddy Hix

26 minutes ago, Logic said:

The most recent reporting suggests that it was Beane that walked away due to contract demands, but ok.

That's not right at all, but that story will live on forever at OBD, no doubt.

15 minutes ago, fridge said:

That's ? The ? Whole ? Point ?

I don't really care that Buffalo isn't a premier destination because you almost always overpay for "marquee" players, but you either don't understand the argument or deliberately undermined your point in the first sentence.  Did anyone really suggest that the team literally couldn't sign free agents?

If you really can't understand this, look into how everyone, including Antonio Brown, reacted to the possibility that he would become a Bill.

The issue was never that we couldn't sign any free agent!  

It was that we can't sign top free agents who are in high demand in many places and who have the luxury of picking where they go.  

We will always have trouble competing for that demographic, and we just ran into that problem with Brown, with the player not coming to Buffalo.

Not really sure what the point of this thread is supposed to be; it's misguided.

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The issue was never that we couldn't sign any free agent!  

It was that we can't sign top free agents who are in high demand in many places and who have the luxury of picking where they go.  

We will always have trouble competing for that demographic, and we just ran into that problem with Brown, with the player not coming to Buffalo.

Not really sure what the point of this thread is supposed to be; it's misguided.

...seems like we agree, no?

16 minutes ago, Logic said:

Talk about assumptions fueled by Napoleon complex.

Sheesh.

I'm sorry, what? You're the one who begs so badly to be relevant that you can't help but start a thread to shout out, "look at us! we did something! we're relevant!"

Whatever. The signings are perfectly fine. Certainly nothing to be too upset or excited about. I will never understand the people of Buffalo's obsession with being a destination. Maybe you said it best, a Napoleon Complex.

6 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Obviously, claiming no FAs will come to Buffalo is an over exaggeration, but I do think there is difficulty in attracting talent to this city and team. Whether the difficulty is warranted or not is kind of besides the point, because I think it exists. Not all talent feels this way, as evidenced by our yearly signings, but I think it’s obviously a factor year in and year out.

But hey, why not start a thread to disprove an obvious over exaggeration and not address the salient points of the argument. Because...like button? 

There are some who may not want to come here because they feel the social life is lacking, or whatever.  There are also some who will see things about the city as a positive, such as when Mario liked it because of hunting opportunities, or if you have a family. 

This issue gets overblown because folks that are from the area love WNY and take it personally when someone disses the area.  The fact that a number of players stick around after their careers says something.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Haze_21 said:

[Klemko] NFL players’ Top 5 free agency destinations, according to their agents: 1. Dallas 2. Seattle 3. Miami 4. L.A. Rams 5. Atlanta Bottom 5: 1. Buffalo 2. Oakland* 3. Cincinnati 4. Detroit 5. Cleveland *Vegas move will change things, respondents said.

We're Number One !!!!!!

29 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Today and yesterday have been exciting, but I don't see any of these guys -- perhaps with the exception of Morse (who still has injury questions) as any different from past years. I think the easy way to look at it is -- what would the LA Rams, Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Bears, etc. have offered guys like Brown or Beasley -- I think the clear answer is less. So while this season has perhaps been moving the needle in the right direction, I don't think that narrative is completely false, either.

This is the wrong way to look at it.  You need to look at it thru the lens of a team needing/signing WR's.  Or players at the other positions.  Mitch is now the highest paid center in the league.  Word is Paradis will surpass that when he signs.
Free Agency is all about the Law of Supply & Demand in 3D.  The Supply & Demand of Players; the Supply & Demand of resources at positions of need and the Supply of and Demand for money on a sliding scale based on players and # of players at the various positions.

FA is about positions of need - because they'll play now.

The Draft is about the BPA - because they may not play regularly for 1-2 years

I love the signings they've made so far. But signing John Brown, Cole Beasley, and Mitch Morse is not a huge perception changer.

Obviously, they can sign guys. But when it's said Buffalo can't sign players, it's referring to the Antonio Brown's and Le'Veon Bell's of the world. The cream of the crop will never come here if given a choice.

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:
47 minutes ago, Logic said:

The most recent reporting suggests that it was Beane that walked away due to contract demands, but ok.

That's your opinion and your entitled to it - but it is not fact.

The negotiations with Pittsburgh advanced far enough that the Bills asked to speak to AB's rep Rosenhaus (sp).  When hearing how much AB was looking for, Beane pulled out.  Around the same time, media-types were reporting that the Bills and Steelers were close to a deal to which AB said "Fake News" (because he knew the Bills backed out).

All the noise then prompted Bean to make his "eloquent" statement to quash the "Buffalo is undesirable" threads.

40 minutes ago, fridge said:

That's ? The ? Whole ? Point ?

I don't really care that Buffalo isn't a premier destination because you almost always overpay for "marquee" players, but you either don't understand the argument or deliberately undermined your point in the first sentence.  Did anyone really suggest that the team literally couldn't sign free agents?

If you really can't understand this, look into how everyone, including Antonio Brown, reacted to the possibility that he would become a Bill.

At least a few people get it...

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Don't you have tolls to collect somewhere?

Projection.

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Except that didnt happen that way.  

Okay dude.

Either way, that's the perception around the league.  Mario Williams did more to change the narrative than the C from KC.  Period.