This has all the feel of the Chicago Plan

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Love Beasley but Robinson and Burton are far superior to the guys we signed.  That said, draft a guy high in the draft with size and we could be on to something.

Bold: Robinson and Burton were better, but they were more question marks- Robinson was a bit of a one hit wonder coming off injury, and Burton was a backup who looked ready for a big role. There was a lot of hype, but the argument could be made that Brown and Beasley are more known for what you're getting (Kroft and Robinson are similar in that way) 

Underlined: I agree completely with this. It just so happens that size is plentiful in this draft. 

33 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Love Beasley but Robinson and Burton are far superior to the guys we signed.  That said, draft a guy high in the draft with size and we could be on to something.

so does this mean there are no more excuses for Allen?

They were also better players. 

Even if I admit they are more talented players what did it get us? Did Sammy make EJ or Tyrod better? No. The teams were still bad. A good QB wins with less than top level talent. The method we are following now is much more sound for long term success.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jletha said:

Even if I admit they are more talented players what did it get us? Did Sammy make EJ or Tyrod better? No. The teams were still bad. A good QB wins with less than top level talent. The method we are following now is much more sound for long term success.

But we acquired Sammy to make EJ better, just like we're doing now with these guys and Allen.

Ya'll are blind if you don't see its the exact same thing

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jletha said:

If Allen is a good qb. And Tyrod looked the best with Sammy. 

47 minutes ago, switz1610 said:

I'm just as much of a homer as anyone but you have to be out of your mind to think that Cole Beasley and John Brown are on the same level as Allen Robinson and Taylor Gabriel. 

But, yes, both off-seasons involved signing 2 WRs. 

Really? Brown had a 1000 yard receiving season and another 2 years(one last year) with more yards than Gabriel has ever had in his career. His best year was last year in Chicago with 688 yards.

Brown also has scored 22 TDs in his career to Gabriel's 10. Brown also averages 2.5 more yards a catch than Gabriel over his career.

Maybe you should actually know something about the players before making statements that make you look like you are clueless?

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Agreed. Been saying since LAST season started that this was the model they would follow.

Year 1, build a defense.
Year 2, identify a QB

Year 3, build around QB

Agreed. Much better than the previous plan

Hire a Head Coach

Change the defensive scheme that our top ranked D was built for.

Hire the Head Coach's brother that's been fired everywhere else .....

I have to say it's so great to be a Bills fan in the Beane/McD era after all the years of horrible decisions and coaching.

18 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

But we acquired Sammy to make EJ better, just like we're doing now with these guys and Allen.

Yep it's all of us, couldn't possibly be just you ?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Its the same idea, I just like the way we are going about it this time around. Instead of trading 2 firsts for a rookie  and WAY over paying for a TE we are signing proven vets to reasonable deals. IMO thats a more prudent approach, especially with an unproven QB. No sense in going completely all in, mortaging your future if the QB doesnt have it. If Allen is the guy he will show it with Brown, Beasely & Foster.

21 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If Allen is a good qb. And Tyrod looked the best with Sammy. 

And was it worth trading 2 firsts for a WR so we could find out that Tyrod wasnt the guy? No, not in my opinion. Id much rather invest in the offense with sensible deals that dont handcuff our future. but thats just me

Edited by jletha

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Agreed. Been saying since LAST season started that this was the model they would follow.

Year 1, build a defense.
Year 2, identify a QB

Year 3, build around QB

Getting the QB first and building an offense should have been priority 1 in 2017.

Instead, McCoach built a secondary and passed on 2 good QB prospects.

The signings today are a step in the right direction, although I'd make the case offense should have been a priority 2 years ago.  Teams can't maintain top defenses for more than 3-4 years at a time.  But you can maintain a solid offense by getting the QB, skill types, and blockers to score more than 16 ppg.  

Edited by BillsVet
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, fridge said:

I don't really understand the hype on these WR moves, especially the undue credit being handed to Beane.

We could have simply kept Goodwin and Woods for similar terms/money as the money we just gave these two guys who don't have the careers those had. This team will continue to fake fans out by the whole two steps back, one step ahead.

You're not wrong but I really feel that Marquise needed a change of scenery.  Not sure he would be as successful here as he currently is in San Fran.

15 minutes ago, jletha said:

Its the same idea, I just like the way we are going about it this time around. Instead of trading 2 firsts for a rookie  and WAY over paying for a TE we are signing proven vets to reasonable deals. IMO thats a more prudent approach, especially with an unproven QB. No sense in going completely all in, mortaging your future if the QB doesnt have it. If Allen is the guy he will show it with Brown, Beasely & Foster.

And was it worth trading 2 firsts for a WR so we could find out that Tyrod wasnt the guy? No, not in my opinion. Id much rather invest in the offense with sensible deals that dont handcuff our future. but thats just me

Interesting take.  I don't look at Kroft as a proven vet, he has 661 career yards in 4 seasons.

Compared to a guy like Clay, who had 1300 yards the two seasons before he joined the Bills, I don't think we got the more proven guy this time around.

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

Interesting take.  I don't look at Kroft as a proven vet, he has 661 career yards in 4 seasons.

Compared to a guy like Clay, who had 1300 yards the two seasons before he joined the Bills, I don't think we got the more proven guy this time around.

To me Kroft is one of those "high upside" guys instead of proven vet

For instance.....compared to Croom Kroft has the physical ability to give you so much more.......he is a soft hands catcher.....but he can actually block.

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Agreed, I dont love the Kroft deal and I really liked the Clay signing at the time but everyone knew we WAY overpaid. I dont think we significantly overpaid for Kroft looking at the contract structure. But John Brown and Beasely are proven entities that can find space and catch the ball. Certainly more proven than any rookie WR, which Sammy was.

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Give Me Daryl Williams, TJ Hockenson in the first, and JAWs or Sills later in the draft and it's not bad at all. 

Based on signing Ty Nsekhe, now see it as this:

QB - Josh Allen
RB - LeSean McCoy
WR - Zay Jones/Robert Foster
WR - John Brown
Slot WR - Cole Beasley
TE - Tyler Kroft
LT -  Ty Nsekhe
LG - Wyatt Teller
C - Mitch Morse
RG - Spencer Long
RT - Dion Dawkins

Makes sense to put a more natural LT (with much longer wingspan) on Josh's blindside.  Can see OBD taking a Dillard or mcCary in Rd 2 or 3 and playing Nsekhe next year.  Putting Dawkins on Right side helps in Run game where his mobility will help on pulls, counters and traps.

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

For instance.....compared to Croom Kroft has the physical ability to give you so much more.......he is a soft hands catcher.....but he can actually block.

He's a backup/depth guy that we're hoping can be a starter.  Suffice it to say, he hasn't really impressed.

Croom is a tomato can, so he ***** better be better than Croom.

Edited by BringBackOrton

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Soft hands catcher? In 2017 his only productive season he dropped 10 percent of his passes. 

1 minute ago, jletha said:

Agreed, I dont love the Kroft deal and I really liked the Clay signing at the time but everyone knew we WAY overpaid. I dont think we significantly overpaid for Kroft looking at the contract structure. But John Brown and Beasely are proven entities that can find space and catch the ball. Certainly more proven than any rookie WR, which Sammy was.

I don't understand the fear of "overpaying."  Isn't that why we sucked last year?  To not worry about the cap so much?

The Clay contract on its face was fine.  We walked away when he sucked.  He was the best TE on the market and was solid for most of his deal.  

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

He's a backup/depth guy that we're hoping can be a starter.  Suffice it to say, he hasn't really impressed.

Croom is a tomato can, so he ***** better be better than Croom.

The last TE we brought in that was a backup to a starter.....he did pretty well for us.

I think Hock in the draft is a real possibiltiy