WR John Brown (Ravens) to the Bills

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think he is a very inconsistent receiver . Talented for sure but he is on his 3rd team in 5 years.  

Again, I’d rather have more weapons than less so I’m fine with it. Even if it’s an overpay :) 

But he averages more yards per season than Edelman! 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I'd add that deep threats are by nature inconsistent. One week they have 4 catches for 147 yards and 2 TDs, and the next they have 1 catch for 11 yards. It balances out into a 1000 yard season and ypc of 17 or so. But on their big days, they can win games for you -- which is something that a player like Zay Jones simply cannot do ever.

exactly!  If used properly (down and distance situations where we might run or we might pass to do positive things that play) and to complement the other players used (likely a quality route runner or another outside speed threat on the other wing), Brown's biggest contribution may be to the run game.

Sure Brown may have enough of the droppsies the Bills O should not depend on him to catch every pass for a TD.  However, if when he takes the field if he demands an over and under dt because of his speed threat and the opposing D is forced into a nickel D (or even a dime if Brown is flanked with another WR demanding a dt then McCoy/Gore get to run against safeties in a nickel or dime rather than run through LBs.

Even if he is an inconsistent producer opposing Ds are forced to play 2 deep or a zone and Allen faces fewer blindside corner blitzes as opposing CBs play off the line or immediately back-up to account for Brown speed.

Ironically he may never carry the rock but his primary contribution maybe to run production we make good playcalls and deploy the right packages.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

Josh will need some time to throw the ball don't cha know, So yeah I certainly hope AT LEAST two OL are drafted. Also, hope they don't wait until the 5th round to start thinking about the most important position group on a team.

Speed receivers which force opposing CBs to cover deep rather than surprise blitz or that force opposing Ds to use dt safeties rather than pass rushing LB may help Allen avoid sacks more than a rookie lineman

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

It was 14-0 at half and Flacco still threw it almost 40 times.

The next week he had 7 catches for 130+ yards. There are games that you adjust the basic gameplan given who the opponent is, and there is also the early blowout factor. Why try any risky plays when you hold the opposing offense to 106 total yards and sack Marcus Mariota 11 times?

44 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

He averages 17+ yards a catch and is a serious speedster running a 4.34...pretty sure he can get open. Him and Foster are gonna cause issues for defenses having to defend deep and then Zay and Beasley will have room to work underneath...

Don't look at these signings individually look at what it does to the defenses...they have to back off because now we 2 threats outside to score on any given play. That leaves more room to be exploited underneath. When teams then try and come up and take away the underneath stuff then we hurt them deep.

This is basically putting the D in a no win situation.

Again, yes he's fast but it sure looked to me like he doesn't get open very often, and when he does he has a tendency to drop the ball. If all you can do is run verticals opposing defenses will sit on that. Maybe I'm being too hard on him. His catch percentage is just awful though which jives with what I'm seeing when I watch him play. Even fast receivers need to be able to run a full route tree to keep you honest. 

Edited by VW82

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Then why are they letting him go and why is he taking 9 mil when players like Funchess are getting more?

His production trailed off with Flacco. The fans, local radio, all talked about him fizzling. Nothing to do with Jackson. 

And I’m on my phone. Is that a key pad?

He had 7 REC for 134 and 1 TD in the 2nd to last game he played with Flacco.  What are you on about?  You are clueless and should stop posting.

Just now, HeHateMe said:

He had 7 REC for 134 and 1 TD in the 2nd to last game he played with Flacco.  What are you on about?  You are clueless and should stop posting.

Lol you can lead the horse to water... 

Common issue on here when people like certain players, and bash anyone else brought in. Draft time is worse than free agency ??

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Again, yes he's fast but it sure looked to me like he doesn't get open very often, and when he does he has a tendency to drop the ball. If all you can do is run verticals opposing defenses will sit on that. Maybe I'm being too hard on him. His catch percentage is just awful though which jives with what I'm seeing when I watch him play. Even fast receivers need to be able to run a full route tree to keep you honest. 

I do think that he struggled with the switch to jackson.  Offense changed considerably.

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I do think that he struggled with the switch to jackson.  Offense changed considerably.

Yeah but his catch percentage has been bad every year he's been in the league except for his sophomore season. He had several high target, low catch games earlier inthe year too. I suspect Bills think some of this has to do with the bad to terrible QB play he's had to deal with over the years, but some of it is certainly on Brown. Hopefully he's better in Buffalo. 

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Antonio Brown or Beasley/Brown?

Antonio Brown signed for around $19M I think.  These guys signed for $16.5M.

Plus Antonio Brown is a potential headache with great production who is 31 years old.

Plus, This is an average salary of less than 50% of his so you are able to lock up two solid contributors for the price of less than AB.

Plus no draft choices had to be given out.

Given their youth, that they are 2 solid players who will most likely be part of the starting 3 at the very least starting 4 and not having to deal with the headache that comes along with AB and not giving up any draft choices that comes in slightly cheaper than AB......

Definitely Beasley/Brown

Just now, VW82 said:

Yeah but his catch percentage has been bad every year he's been in the league except for his sophomore season. He had several high target, low catch games earlier inthe year too. I suspect Bills think some of this has to do with the bad to terrible QB play he's had to deal with over the years, but some of it is certainly on Brown. Hopefully he's better in Buffalo. 

Catch percentages for deep threats are always lower than everyone else's. Most QBs aren't particularly accurate on 40+ yard throws. 

10 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

He had 7 catches on 7 targets in that game too.