Anonymous Agents Rank Buffalo The Worst FA Destination

2 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Having had the the unfortunate pleasure of holding a traveling sales position in the past, I just can't understand from a city perspective why anybody would dismiss Buffalo over real s***holes and wastelands like Jacksonville, Indy, Green Bay, Detroit, etc. Are the facilities that bad or something? Because the city truly isn't all things considered.

Well, the first two went to the playoffs las year. Green Bay has been a dominant franchise since 1992. 

6 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Weather?  No.  Losing for damn near two decades?  Yes, yes, and yes.

This.

Can't put lipstick on a pig. Winning cures a host of rep issues.

Start winning, and players stop thinking it is where careers go to die.

9 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

I get it, I do.  But really, how is Cincy not the worst?  Terrible team, notoriously cheap owner, a pretty crappy city.

Detroit is awful.  I would say worse that Buffalo.  Pittsburgh and Cleveland are not much better as far as a destination.  What kills Buffalo is the 5th highest state tax.  

2 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Winning will help but only Pats like ring-cases are going to be actual decision changers vs. bigger contracts or nicer weather or both.

Wins vary wildly year to year. I assume the weather on Miami beaches is always nice.

Taxes too.  Florida has no state tax and nice weather. CA and NY taxes are horrible. When you make that much taxes can add hundreds of thousands in lost revenue, so the "crap" cities in high tax states like Oakland and Buffalo are going to rank higher.  You mean I have to pay more to live here and not get laid. Hello Miami.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Well, the first two went to the playoffs las year. Green Bay has been a dominant franchise since 1992. 

Jacksonville might be the biggest dumpster fire in the AFC, even with Foles. That may actually just turn out to be gasoline if he fails in any capacity.

Cleveland got Baker but still hasn't won anything.

Arizona is a college team. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I get that winning cures everything but there are wastelands with losing cultures still ranked higher than Buffalo. Seems Buffalo has just become a parody and that these opinions aren't rooted in reality, but I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir at this point.

Do not downplay the importance of taxes. I have heard many times that free agents prefer states like Florida where there is no state income tax.That is also why some of the agents are negotiating bigger salaries in the second year with the Raiders. No state income tax next year in Vegas.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Like (+1) 2

Anonymous sources are such gutless cowards.  If you can say something to get out in the public, be a big enough person to put your name on it.

And this is so worthless.  It comes down to the fact we don’t win.  Nothing, nothing less.  If this was true, why didn’t every free agent sign with Miami or San Diego when they had a team?  So dumb. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

What kills Buffalo is the 5th highest state tax.  

The cost of snow removal alone in NYS demands a higher taxes. Yes NYS still has its tax issues... However Out here in Western Wa if we get snow my street never gets plowed...... 6 inches of snow here cripples the area where we have to take LWOPs from work because they do not have the infrastructure to deal with it when it does happen. We also pay 10x's as much for vehicle registrations etc..

every state finds away to get their money....  

I think being in a division with NE is something that hurts as well.

To a point I can understand the weather being an issue, I moved out of Buffalo and the weather was one of the reasons. I just don't like snow, but I do miss Buffalo. There is just something about that area. The people are are fantastic and the food is incredible. 

I feel once FA see what its like there opinions would change. 

9 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Ha I just read this article. You cannot disagree with their statement - Ralph had us stuck in a history of losing, Donahoe was his last real shot and he packed it in after that. I do agree that we are turning things around. Best thing we did was take out Ralph's trash and are upgrading our facilities - all of that stuff matters. We do run into an issue with this though:

Agents said each city is judged to have a boring nightlife, according to the players. “Weather and [sex] are huge factors,” one agent said.

Wasn’t it Jordan Mathews seemed to indicate lack of nice weather and nightlife meant more sex?  

Start winning and build a dome- that will change things. Also, get Kim Pegula away from Pegula Sports. The Bills and Sabres are in dire need of a president of football/hockey operations. She has no business in the role she is in.

Edited by billsfan_34

5 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Detroit is awful.  I would say worse that Buffalo.  Pittsburgh and Cleveland are not much better as far as a destination.  What kills Buffalo is the 5th highest state tax.  

And a losing football team since y2k

11 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

"anonymous sources" = "we can just make ***** up and nobody will know."

It's not "anonymous sources".  The sources are obviously known--they were specifically were asked to poll by SI.  For obvious reasons, SI promised them anonymity.

You're saying that Si fabricated the results?  The entire story?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, buffaloboyinATL said:

Do not downplay the importance of taxes. I have heard many times that free agents prefer states like Florida where there is no state income tax.Do not downplay the importance of taxes. That is also why some of the agents are negotiating bigger salaries in the second year with the Raiders. No state income tax next year in Vegas.

True and it’s like that in Texas.  But none of these teams kill it with free agents.  It’s about money and winning, then everything else.  Most football players realize they have short careers so they will take the most money instead of going to the beach or club.  And if a guy chooses that over money and winning, good, you don’t want them.

• Like (+1) 2

It is understandable.  And somewhat reversible.

One, and foremost, you have an outpost and irrelevant team.  Oft-times players can come off looking bad and/or falling off a cliff stat-wise which hurts future potential.  1 playoff game in like 20 years, no home playoff games, lack of prime time exposure, etc

I do think the "ralph is cheap' stigma is still attached to the franchise to some degree.  They would jerk players around a little more and try to squeeze value out of everything.  

The city/area have a bad name/reputation, and it is justified versus some/most NFL stops.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nelius said:

Jacksonville might be the biggest dumpster fire in the AFC, even with Foles. That may actually just turn out to be gasoline if he fails in any capacity.

Cleveland got Baker but still hasn't won anything.

Arizona is a college team. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I get that winning cures everything but there are wastelands with losing cultures still ranked higher than Buffalo. Seems Buffalo has just become a parody and that these opinions aren't rooted in reality, but I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir at this point.

Pretty much. I just think that the drought built up the idea in the media. When you couple that with the weather: moving a game to Detroit, etc. it get played up even more. No one likes losing, bad weather, and high taxes. This team needs to turn the corner in an obvious way to make this a prime destination.