Anonymous Agents Rank Buffalo The Worst FA Destination

Notice the teams at the bottom of the list are those who haven't had WINNING franchises in a long time.

The article also says that Cleveland was by far the worst destination, and has been creeping up since hiring John Dorsey as GM. 

5 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/12/best-worst-destinations-free-agents-dallas-atlanta-buffalo-cleveland-detroit-oakland

And the Bottom 5:

1. Buffalo, 12 votes
2. Oakland, 11
3. Cincinnati, 8
4. Detroit, 7
5. Cleveland, 6

As for Buffalo, the least enticing free-agent destination in the NFL according to our poll, only three agents didn’t have the Bills in their Bottom 5. Weather and a recent history of losing were two big factors, but the city had at least one supporter among the agents polled. “I think they’re turning things around in Buffalo,” he said. “That regime is doing things the right way.”

Discuss.........

This post didn’t age well 

5 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Ha I just read this article. You cannot disagree with their statement - Ralph had us stuck in a history of losing, Donahoe was his last real shot and he packed it in after that. I do agree that we are turning things around. Best thing we did was take out Ralph's trash and are upgrading our facilities - all of that stuff matters. We do run into an issue with this though:

Agents said each city is judged to have a boring nightlife, according to the players. “Weather and [sex] are huge factors,” one agent said.

Yeah man the only people defending Buffalo's women and nightlife are the ones who've never left WNY or are in denial. Nothing will change my mind on that subject. Nightlife is more than a 4am last call at a hole in the wall

The best quote in the article is that the players don’t have a clue and just look at the stupid reasons to sign a contract somewhere.

I believe the ratings are true, but in the end it doesn’t matter much. It’s still pretty random, which team(s) offer a free agent a contract. They will choose their best option, and their agent will steer them toward the most money. Sure there are a few “big-time” free agents every year that have a handful of teams to choose from, but usually those guys come with a sky-high price tag that’s not worth it anyhow.

It’s better if a player chooses to play for the Bills because he’s a good fit for the system and coaching staff and likes his offer than because he “likes the city.” Who cares....

On 3/12/2019 at 4:22 PM, Gigs said:

Yeah man the only people defending Buffalo's women and nightlife are the ones who've never left WNY or are in denial. Nothing will change my mind on that subject. Nightlife is more than a 4am last call at a hole in the wall

The hole in the wall 4am last call is part of what makes WNY great. If you are hanging out at a hole in the wall, you're probably having a impromptu high school reunion.  I've been to LA, Miami, New Orleans, Dallas, ect. I don't like $200.00 cover charges and huge crowds of random faces. All personal preference. 

On 3/12/2019 at 1:19 PM, ricko1112 said:

Bad ownership and trash teams for 20+ years... Detroit plays inside and Oakland has mild weather, so how much did weather really play into this?

I don't think it's just about the weather at game time.  It's living day to day in the cold that some free agents are like, "no thanks".

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/12/2019 at 10:26 AM, Coach Tuesday said:

If the agents do not like Buffalo it is a good thing.

Agents like teams which give pushover contracts, are easily manipulated like Bills were with Peters and do not penalize clients for violations of contract.

And weather is NOT a major factor otherwise Minnesota and Green Bay which have much worst weather would be ranked worse.

Now taxes are but the NJ teams should ranked high but agents like their clients in top media market because easier to get endorsement deals (remember Marino started getting endorsement deals during season when he was injured and he spent a lot of time doing commercials rather than rehab).

9 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I don't think it's just about the weather at game time.  It's living day to day in the cold that some free agents are like, "no thanks".

but that's kind of it.  i would assume the majority of the players leave after the season.  the weather in wny really doesn't get too bad until that january through march time, and during that time, it is absolutely awful.  the fall is great, and december is meh.  if the bills were regularly into the playoffs, i could see the weather being more of the issue...but ya know.

Now the author's selection is slanted - "15 NFL agents whom I know and respect" meaning agents able to bring solid leaks to him and no one is getting leaks from Bills these days. 

I do like the quote:

“Especially with Matt ‘I think I’m Belichick but I haven’t done s---’ Patricia,” 

2 minutes ago, teef said:

but that's kind of it.  i would assume the majority of the players leave after the season.  the weather in wny really doesn't get too bad until that january through march time, and during that time, it is absolutely awful.  the fall is great, and december is meh.  if the bills were regularly into the playoffs, i could see the weather being more of the issue...but ya know.

Playoffs are definitely a factor since players get paid extra per playoff game.

2 minutes ago, teef said:

It’s exactly as what one of the agents said - the players give this feedback based on ***** that doesn’t matter.... weather & nightlife are not the right reasons to play for a team. Nearly ever player in the league goes somewhere else during the offseason, and during the season their life should be football not partying.

One of the biggest factors for free agents missed by author is the field both game and practice and while the Pegulas have worked on getting the practice fields in better shape the stadium field needs a major revamp with lots of thinking involved and not lowest bidder.  For older players this is very important.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

If the agents do not like Buffalo it is a good thing.

Agents like teams which give pushover contracts, are easily manipulated like Bills were with Peters and do not penalize clients for violations of contract.

And weather is NOT a major factor otherwise Minnesota and Green Bay which have much worst weather would be ranked worse.

Now taxes are but the NJ teams should ranked high but agents like their clients in top media market because easier to get endorsement deals (remember Marino started getting endorsement deals during season when he was injured and he spent a lot of time doing commercials rather than rehab).

They asked the agents for player feedback.

15 minutes ago, teef said:

A lot of it is likely perception. Some NFL players might think we're under 12 feet of snow 9 months of the year. And, the only way to sway them to see the truth is to have a winning organization to compensate for the crap weather.

Cold weather perception + perennial losing = higher dismissal rate by FA's.

Edited by MacGyver

2 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

They asked the agents for player feedback.

No they didn't - reading comprehension.  Agents were doing this based on their perception not player feedback.  These are anonymous agents who may have only 1 client.

For answers, I turned to 15 NFL agents whom I know and respect and asked the following: “If you polled your clients about the most and least desirable teams to play for, which teams do you think would end up in the Top 5 and which would be in the Bottom 5?”

15 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Now the author's selection is slanted - "15 NFL agents whom I know and respect" meaning agents able to bring solid leaks to him and no one is getting leaks from Bills these days. 

I do like the quote:

“Especially with Matt ‘I think I’m Belichick but I haven’t done s---’ Patricia,” 

Playoffs are definitely a factor since players get paid extra per playoff game.

i was referring to the weather only really being bad during those month.  going to the playoffs would make a big difference.

12 minutes ago, CheshireCT said:

It’s exactly as what one of the agents said - the players give this feedback based on ***** that doesn’t matter.... weather & nightlife are not the right reasons to play for a team. Nearly ever player in the league goes somewhere else during the offseason, and during the season their life should be football not partying.

this has been my take on it to.  i'm at the point in my life where i go to work, go to the gym, go out to dinner and have a few drinks, etc.  i could really do that anywhere.  i've also never been a club guy, so i can understand if players think  that scene in buffalo is a little lacking.  football at that level is a job.  i'd play anywhere that gave me the money and situation i wanted.  at this point, buffalo's biggest problem is losing.

i understand that buffalo doesn't have the same restaurants, clubs, nightlife, etc, as the big cities.  it strikes me as more of an off season problem, but everyone has their thing.

concerning women...come on.  there are beautiful women everywhere.  i again realize it's not nyc or la, but if you can't find attractive women in a large city, you just can't find attractive women.  some posters on here act like they blast through super models every night.

39 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

A lot of it is likely perception. Some NFL players might think we're under 12 feet of snow 9 months of the year. And, the only way to sway them to see the truth is to have a winning organization to compensate for the crap weather.

Cold weather perception + perennial losing = higher dismissal rate by FA's.

i have to agree.  there really is the perception that wny is like antarctica, when in reality it's like most north eastern climates.  the january to march...i absolutely hate it.