The Strategy of Signing Frank Gore

5 hours ago, White Linen said:

Sal mentioned Gore's son has a football scholarship offer from UB.  Could be that he also wants to be near his son.  

Pretty sure son doesn't graduate until 2020 per his Instagram site

7 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I really wonder what the market is like for the leagues oldest RB and whether signing him is really going to change people's minds about coming to Buffalo.

It's not. I'm still bewildered by the fact that this move is so polarizing/scrutinized.

They signed an old RB who somehow remains pretty effective. Better than Ivory for sure.

I don't see any strategy/grand design. I see an upgrade at the backup RB position, which still needs an upgrade and I fully expect them to draft one. 

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I will give 2 million for a 4.6 yard per carry backkup

I am guessing that your going to get around 45% snaps for Gore/McCoy.. This is a great thing and less pressure on McCoy. Last 10% of the snaps will go to ivory and who ever else.

IF I were the bills I would trade Ivory after we get our future RB in the draft.. What a wonderful learning experience a rookie RB would have sitting.. watching.. learning from 2 future HOF on the same team.

3 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I am guessing that your going to get around 45% snaps for Gore/McCoy.. This is a great thing and less pressure on McCoy. Last 10% of the snaps will go to ivory and who ever else.

IF I were the bills I would trade Ivory after we get our future RB in the draft.. What a wonderful learning experience a rookie RB would have sitting.. watching.. learning from 2 future HOF on the same team.

I am in the "pick a RB in the 3rd round" group......

2 solid veterans in front of him........starts the following year

• Like (+1) 1

dont be a homer. there is no excuse for all our rb's to be age 32 and up we need to cut shady and get that cap $

4 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

ABSOLUTE ANSWER ON WHY WE SIGNED GORE.  Between him and Shady they have the most experience to teach the RB the Bills will be drafting this year who will be the future.  This is a TEACHING by example signing.  It actually does make sense and at only $2M it's like a player coach (like we have done with our QB situation)

GO BILLS!!!

thats moronic. rb's have shown they dont need teaching like other positions. look at the last couple years how many rookies dominated without a vet coaching them. look at connor with pitt

9 minutes ago, FreeMaxB585 said:

dont be a homer. there is no excuse for all our rb's to be age 32 and up we need to cut shady and get that cap $

thats moronic. rb's have shown they dont need teaching like other positions. look at the last couple years how many rookies dominated without a vet coaching them. look at connor with pitt

So this is your third post and your going to insult the idea of having 2 older guys for ONE year then the rookie steps up? TWO FUTURE HOF working with a rookie RB and you don't get all the upside to this? RB position doesn't need teaching?

Your either a troll or have no clue about the position. The transition for a RB that's not a Elliot for example.. the learning curve is huge from College to NFL no matter what the position.

clueless horrible post

12 minutes ago, FreeMaxB585 said:

It's not moronic and I'm sure you know nothing about actual coaching, pass blocking and techniques.  Gore is going to be a role player and will help the new RB that we will be drafting. 

3 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

So this is your third post and your going to insult the idea of having 2 older guys for ONE year then the rookie steps up? TWO FUTURE HOF working with a rookie RB and you don't get all the upside to this? RB position doesn't need teaching?

Your either a troll or have no clue about the position. The transition for a RB that's not a Elliot for example.. the learning curve is huge from College to NFL no matter what the position.

clueless horrible post

Thanks for backing me up!  FreeMaxB585 is a douche!

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Something obviously needed to be done at the position.  But it's never a good idea to spend big money on a free agent/veteran running back (like Le'Veon Bell), and with lots of holes on the roster, we will probably be using our early draft picks in other areas.  To me, this signing tells me the front office is punting the RB decision until next season.  Frank Gore is probably just a 1-year stopgap, who can split time with McCoy this year.  If McCoy has truly lost a step, Gore should be able to take over the #1 role.  Next year, I expect us to draft an RB within the first two rounds.

I too was rolling eyes when I heard this signing but this whole thread and posts like this one makes me realize how much sense it makes. A one year deal too. For some reason, I thought he was over the hill. If he is still solid - yes I know he is not his dominant young self - and good locker room leader, good signing! I always pictured him more as a pure runner and good blocker but I might be wrong. Is he a good pass catcher?

Edited by Jerome007

3 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I too was rolling eyes when I heard this signing but this whole thread and posts like this one makes me realize how much sense it makes. A one year deal too. For some reason, I thought he was over the hill. If he is still solid - yes I know he is not his dominant young self - and good locker room leader, good signing! I always pictured him more as a pure runner and good blocker but I might be wrong. Is he a good pass catcher?

Yes.  He's a good pass catcher.

Which means (unlike Chris Ivory), he could take over the lead back role in the event of McCoy getting hurt.

Not sure how much you put into PFF rankings, but Gore was their #11 runner last season.

12 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Yes.  He's a good pass catcher.

Which means (unlike Chris Ivory), he could take over the lead back role in the event of McCoy getting hurt.

Not sure how much you put into PFF rankings, but Gore was their #11 runner last season.

81.4 Pff

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

clueless horrible post

having beat up rb's is a horrible idea. we have the THREE OLDEST IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE. Shady is washed up, better to cut him and have some decent cap money. its a proven facts that rb's in their 30's are mostly useless. ivory is washed up to. gore is just another year older and is below average at best. we have no sure starter that can carry a load, no 3rd down back that is good in the pass game cause shady lost about 4 steps. wouldve been better to use $ else where and take a RB in the mid rounds. very simple, take off the homer blinders everyone else in the league is laughing at us. already bad enough gave 2 below average wr's that money instead of waiting until next year with a loaded WR FA class

2 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

It's not moronic and I'm sure you know nothing about actual coaching, pass blocking and techniques.  Gore is going to be a role player and will help the new RB that we will be drafting. 

Thanks for backing me up!  FreeMaxB585 is a douche!

no reason to be a homer. having the 3 oldest rb's in the league is a terrible choice. shady has shown he is already worn down, same with ivory. none of them are good 3rd down backs, we need a younger back who isnt injury prone and without a ton of miles on them. unreal that some think that having the 3 oldest backs with so much wear and tear is a good move

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, FreeMaxB585 said:

having beat up rb's is a horrible idea. we have the THREE OLDEST IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE. Shady is washed up, better to cut him and have some decent cap money. its a proven facts that rb's in their 30's are mostly useless. ivory is washed up to. gore is just another year older and is below average at best. we have no sure starter that can carry a load, no 3rd down back that is good in the pass game cause shady lost about 4 steps. wouldve been better to use $ else where and take a RB in the mid rounds. very simple, take off the homer blinders everyone else in the league is laughing at us. already bad enough gave 2 below average wr's that money instead of waiting until next year with a loaded WR FA class

no reason to be a homer. having the 3 oldest rb's in the league is a terrible choice. shady has shown he is already worn down, same with ivory. none of them are good 3rd down backs, we need a younger back who isnt injury prone and without a ton of miles on them. unreal that some think that having the 3 oldest backs with so much wear and tear is a good move

Thanks for the laughs. needed that.

I think they are going for a power running game and smart, older running backs know how to find an extra 3 yards on a running play and how to anticipate which big ugly is going to push the defense back 3 yards.  This gives a lot of 2nd and 3 situations where Allen can do play action and make the passing game work well.   

15 hours ago, FreeMaxB585 said:

Until he misses a blitzing lb or safety and our QB gets drilled. Frank Gore is really good at picking up blitzes and that is something our young RB (I'm assuming we draft one) will learn from watching Gore on the field and in the film study. Unless you think a RB doesn't study film. Also, Conner wasn't a rookie last year and his rookie year, he played behind Bell. Sure he learned a lot from sitting behind him for a yr.

Edited by Dopey