The Jets Are Winning Free Agency, But Will It Even Matter in 2019?

Just now, ScottLaw said:

He reminds me a bit of Edmunds to be honest. 

Yep - which is not good.  Edmunds did seem to get a bit less reactionary as the season went on.  The stinker's were very apparent.  Games like NE, Jax, and LAC were ones that stuck out.  They attacked and exploited him with motion in the run game, and crossers in the red zone.  

22 minutes ago, K-9 said:

If they draft Q Williams, their defense will be one of the strongest in the middle of the field at every level, with All Pro talent at several positions. So yeah, they are going to be a tough out for sure. 

That said, bringing together high priced talent in FAgency doesn’t guarantee anything, either. Chemistry cannot be forced, especially in football. 

Agreed.  Their defense will be LEGIT, but so can ours (especially if we address DT & DE) and we didn’t have to put ourselves in cap hell to do it.  

9 minutes ago, dneveu said:

He's still slow to hit gaps.  WLB's still have to tackle and shoot gaps.  If anything they have to cover more ground.

WLB first responsibility should be coverage. Which is something I think he can be decent at. He Definately doesn't need to play the Mike. 

The Jets have acquired a bunch of players that were quality starters for their former teams.  How they will perform together in NJ with a new coaching staff, new systems and new team is unknown, but pretty impressive haul in terms of overall talent so far.  I would have loved this group of players for the Bills.

Edited by jahnyc

When it comes to building a team, free agency is something that needs to be used sparingly.  The majority of work needs to be done through the draft.

Sure.  It's OK to hand-out a few big contracts (especially when you are in the midst of a major rebuild) to fill holes.  In many cases, it's absolutely necessary.

But if you aren't consistently drafting well, those moves won't equate to long-term success.

There are only so many big-money players a team can afford.  The Jets do have some extra space due to Sam Darnold being on a rookie contract (compared to a team paying $20-25 million for their QB).  But each huge contract takes away from their ability to fill holes somewhere else, and hurts their depth across the board.  Going out and signing CJ Mosley, Anthony Barr and Le'Veon Bell is great.  But how long before those contracts force them to dump Trumaine Johnson (their big signing last year)?  They just go from a big hole at linebacker to a big hole in the secondary.

So far, I love Brandon Beane's approach to free agency.  He can be aggressive in pursuit, but does have a limit on a player's value and knows when to call it quits.

40 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Again, why is this assumption being made? Most of their pickups have been on defense.

WE are the team on the rise.

Because the Bill's picked up the leagues oldest RB, an injured TE, made an offer for AB, and overpaid for a Centre? They still have one of the leagues worst WR groups and a questionmark at QB.

11 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

WLB first responsibility should be coverage. Which is something I think he can be decent at. He Definately doesn't need to play the Mike. 

Greggo likes to play a 4-3 - but where does that put Barr?  DE?  They likely add williams or bosa at the draft as well - so that helps their D-line out a ton.  

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Greggo likes to play a 4-3 - but where does that put Barr?  DE?  They likely add williams or bosa at the draft as well - so that helps their D-line out a ton.  

If we are to believe all that's been said, they plan on sticking to a base 3-4

29 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I guess i should be conditioned to the fact that people around here automatically think the other teams' moves are better, even the Jets.

If you look at it objectively at the moment they are probably the team that has improved the most since the start of FA. They added, Mosley, Barr, Osemele, Bellamy and Crowder. They are a much better team today than they were 2 days ago. The Bills are a better team than they were 2 days ago too. The Jets, at this point, have improved more than the Bills. That can certainly change but it is perfectly reasonable for both teams to improve.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Because the Bill's picked up the leagues oldest RB, an injured TE, made an offer for AB, and overpaid for a Centre? They still have one of the leagues worst WR groups and a questionmark at QB.

Paid nothing for Gore.

Paid going rate for a legit #2 TE

Overpaid for a Center, but got one of the top 5 in the NFL, at a position we knew was critical to addressing this offseason.  Last I checked, the Jets, for all their spending, still don't have one and the one they did have, is now on our team competing for a G position.

Aaaaand FA is far from over and we still have a ton of $$$

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Spending big on FAs does not often equate to anything (Hi Kirk Cousins!). Guys sometimes become FAs for a reason and team chemistry matters a lot. 

What the Pats and Steelers have done is the right model. No more than 3-4 big contracts, and spread the rest evenly. Resist the big FA payday and only pay out the big money if it's a homegrown star (FU Dareus). 

It's so much easier when you have your QB and Coach who are both considered the 'GOAT', and players are willing to come to you below market value for a chance to be on your team and win.

Steelers and Packers typically build through the draft and arent as active in FA, and they are usually very good regular season teams but only have 1 SB win each......

Gase does not scare me at all. They overpaid for Barr and REALLY overpaid for Mosley. It’s got a Redskins-ish feel to it. We’ll see how it plays out but I am not much more worried about them than I normally am, even with all the splashes.

21 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

I'm not worried about them at all

yay, the Bills/Jets/Fish all aiming for a comfortable little battle to not make the playoffs again, yay

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you look at it objectively at the moment they are probably the team that has improved the most since the start of FA. They added, Mosley, Barr, Osemele, Bellamy and Crowder. They are a much better team today than they were 2 days ago. The Bills are a better team than they were 2 days ago too. The Jets, at this point, have improved more than the Bills. That can certainly change but it is perfectly reasonable for both teams to improve.

adding names =/= improvement.

it means adding names. whether or not it means an ACTUAL improvement on the field very much remains to be seen.

10 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

That's the spirit.

Wallow in that.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

adding names =/= improvement.

it means adding names. whether or not it means an ACTUAL improvement on the field very much remains to be seen.

That's the spirit.

Wallow in that.

It does mean improvement if they are better than the guys previously occupying those spots. It is inarguable that Osemele, Mosley and Crowder do not upgrade their respective spots. I’m lower on Barr than some others but he has had succcess. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson