The Jets Are Winning Free Agency, But Will It Even Matter in 2019?

8 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Maccagan must be feeing the hot seat.  He’s gone all out in Doug Whaley-like desperation to sign big names in Free Agency to phat contracts including:

Anthony “The” Barr

CJ Mosely

Jamison Crowder

Josh Bellamy

The retaining of Robby Anderson and Big Quince Enunwa.

And they may not be done as rumors are flying they are interested in Matt Paradis and possibly L’evion Bell.

Its easy to say that so far the Jets have “won the offseason” like Rex Ryan would say.  

But will it matter?  It’s not hard to throw around guaranteed cash and sign players to big contracts.  We saw Buddy Nix and Whaley do this as Bills fans.  Loading a team doesn’t work unless they are properly utilized.  For that to happen you need good coaching in place, which comes down to Adam Gase and Greggggggg Williams.   Gase has been accused by Miami fans of squandering talent on several different rosters, and didn’t do very much to reclaim Ryan Tannehil.  

Do you worry about the Jets next season after these splashy FA moves?

Mid Darnold takes steps then yes it will matter and they will be much better. 

16 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Again, why is this assumption being made? Most of their pickups have been on defense.

WE are the team on the rise.

They have added two wrs and a all pro guard so far this off season. They are making a lot of moves on both sides of the ball. They will be better. We won't get two gift wins next year. Though I still doubt it'll put them over the hump but free agency just started they could continue to improve. Blah..

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Agreed - Mosley is a good player and will be a major upgrade over lee.  Barr I don't really get.

Mosley will play MLB, no? If they keep Lee he plays WLB, and Barr plays SAM. That group got better ten fold. Whether or not it works remains to be seen

13 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Mosley will play MLB, no? If they keep Lee he plays WLB, and Barr plays SAM. That group got better ten fold. Whether or not it works remains to be seen

They are trading or cutting Lee. Rumors they wanted to move on from him prior to snagging Mosley. He's a goner.

7 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Spending big on FAs does not often equate to anything (Hi Kirk Cousins!). Guys sometimes become FAs for a reason and team chemistry matters a lot. 

What the Pats and Steelers have done is the right model. No more than 3-4 big contracts, and spread the rest evenly. Resist the big FA payday payday unless it's a homegrown star (FU Dareus). 

After all these years of free agency, and all the examples of exactly what you point out to me, it is a wonder to me that people put so much stock in FA.  

1 minute ago, dje85 said:

They are trading or cutting Lee. Rumors they wanted to move on from him prior to snagging Mosley. He's a goner.

I seen the rumors

But with these other guys signed, Lee could be much better at WLB than what he's been doing. Just a thought. 

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

After all these years of free agency, and all the examples of exactly what you point out to me, it is a wonder to me that people put so much stock in FA.  

Me too. Give me 5 players at 5-7 million per player rather than 1 at 20 and 1 at 15. 

I like Beaseley at WR for this reason. 

5 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I heard they were preparing to cut Lee if they couldn't find a trade.  They still need Dline help.. and they have like 1 cornerback who doesn't suck.  And he kind of sucked last year.  

The guard Osemele and Mosley are the big pickups.  Crowder has flashed, but he also is hurt every year and has the highest fumble rate of anyone in football.  Josh Bellamy is basically Chris Hogan.  

Barr is - tricky to evaluate.  He was a good pass rusher in college - maybe it was a poor fit with zimmer's defense?  The knock on him coming out was that he was a tweener defensive end, and needed polish to play LB.  He also didn't have a ton of moves at DE relying on elite athleticism, and its doubtful that after 4 years of playing LB that he just developed better pass rushing moves.  Could work out I guess - I just see it as middling sack numbers and good games against inferior opponents.

Edited by dneveu

Hard to say for sure but I would say the majority of the time, the team that "wins" free agency does not meet expectations. The best way to build a team is still through the draft. in FA you are almost always buying high on a guy who will 1) age 2) regress to the mean 3) take time to build chemistry with. There are many examples of this from the Eagles, the Bills one year, the Dolphins.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BeginnersMind said:

Me too. Give me 5 players at 5-7 million per player rather than 1 at 20 and 1 at 15. 

I like Beaseley at WR for this reason. 

Adding a piece in FA works.  Trying to rebuild your corp through FA NEVER works.  The Jets have rebuilt their corp group, I just don't see it working. 

Just now, dneveu said:

I heard they were preparing to cut Lee if they couldn't find a trade.  They still need Dline help.. and they have like 1 cornerback who doesn't suck.  And he kind of sucked last year.  

The guard Osemele and Mosley are the big pickups.  Crowder has flashed, but he also is hurt every year and has the highest fumble rate of anyone in football.  Josh Bellamy is basically Chris Hogan.  

Lee is better in coverage. And with competent LB'ers around him, he could settle down into that role and probably be decent for once in his career. Just a thought.

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Jets are a team on the rise. It may be as soon as this year. They are loading up around their young QB. We will see how it plays out but if you are a Jets fan you should be thrilled with what’s going on.

Yeah as a Bills fan, I was a little disappointed to see the moves.  This has backfired on teams on teams in the past, let’s hope it happen to NYJ

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Adding a piece in FA works.  Trying to rebuild your corp through FA NEVER works.  The Jets have rebuilt their corp group, I just don't see it working. 

I don't even think adding one super highly compensated player works as often as you think. Teams usually let guys go for a reason. 

Occasionally, the reason is for rebuilding (Mack) and it works out. But if a team lets a player get to FA, it's usually because they are a problem of some sort. 

This year with Brown and Bell, the Steelers may be letting top talent go, which is rare. 

1 minute ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

If you have to build your team in FA with over priced contracts your probably not winning anything. 

My name is Mario Williams, and I approve this message. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Lee is better in coverage. And with competent LB'ers around him, he could settle down into that role and probably be decent for once in his career. Just a thought.

He's still slow to hit gaps.  WLB's still have to tackle and shoot gaps.  If anything they have to cover more ground.