Day One Bills FA Recap

eball

2 hours ago, eball said:

So in one day of "unofficial" negotiations the Bills accomplished the following:

1.  Acquired a CB with 1st round pedigree who will hopefully push Levi and provide solid depth

2.  Methuselah joins the team at RB; at first a "huh?" signing but at $2M is a drop in the bucket and provides veteran leadership (PFF rated him very highly last season if you follow that stuff)

3.  Signed a TE who has shown flashes of production in the passing game (2017) but is at the very least a capable blocker

4.  Potentially "fixed" the C position by acquiring a guy who hasn't given up a sack since 2015; backup already in place with previous Long signing

This is a promising start.  You can point out potential pitfalls with any of these moves, but there's nothing here that looks "scattershot" or not part of the larger plan.  I believe Gore's signing likely means Ivory is gone, and they will draft a youngster who gets to learn behind Gore (consummate pro) and Shady while they form a RBBC.  I don't think they're done at TE at all and expect them to draft one, but Kroft is a decent addition.

What's next?  A Daryl Williams signing and a veteran WR would complete my personal FA checklist and set the Bills up nicely for the draft.

and to think there will be more fa signings and the draft yet to come.

solid start, for sure!

I'd like to see us sign the two Williams' that are out there at positions of need.

Daryl Williams at RT and Tyrell Williams at WR.

Also intrigued by the Bell report, even though I'd be shocked if we signed him.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

Good recap. I am strongly encouraged after day 1 and want something like this today to really cement this FA class:

1 of each

WR: Tate or Williams or Brown or Cobb

OL: Daryl Williams or Safford (pipe dream I know)

DE: Ansah or Brent Urban

I think if the Bills somehow could get Williams or Tate I could see them trying for one of the Iowa TE's if they were to fall late in the 1st.

Excellent first day in my mind.  Center was the number 1 priority for this team in FA and they got their man.  This will make a huge difference on offense.  Kroft is certainly not a game breaker, but the Bills were horrific at blocking at TE and he is a major upgrade there.  Still room for a draft choice at that position, but Kroft makes them better.  The Bills were very thin at CB so adding Johnson makes sense and is a good gamble.  Very solid when healthy.  Gore is an upgrade over Ivory.

Williams at RT and/or a quality guard like Saffold would be my next priority.  I am not enamoured of any of the remaining FA wide receivers in terms of being worth a big contract.  Upgrade via draft.

Haven’t heard the name Rodger Saffold at all over the last 48 hours in terms of visits or anything. While the Bills are desperate for a Tackle I would still like to see Saffold come in to lock up a G spot and have Long, and Teller compete for the other starting spot.

Very happy the Bills got Morse, young enough to anchor the line in front of Allen for years to come. 

The signings of Johnson, Gore, and Kroft are good. Kroft wasn't the TE I would have wanted, but he is an upgrade in terms of blocking with potential to be a decent pass-catching TE. Still leaves room for them to draft a TE. 

I would like to see Buffalo get Daryl Williams today. 

5 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

Nice to see the BILLS getting OLDER at the RB position.

Yikes.

Experience in the back field and have a young RB learn and compete to take over eventually. I think there is much more to play out here 

2 hours ago, nuklz2594 said:

is kroft an upgrade over o'leary?

I believe he has SOME ability to block.  That would be an upgrade over o'leary.  

Kroft wears gloves though - so minus 1 million points.

47 minutes ago, tbarg12 said:

Very happy the Bills got Morse, young enough to anchor the line in front of Allen for years to come. 

The signings of Johnson, Gore, and Kroft are good. Kroft wasn't the TE I would have wanted, but he is an upgrade in terms of blocking with potential to be a decent pass-catching TE. Still leaves room for them to draft a TE. 

I would like to see Buffalo get Daryl Williams today. 

Kroft is like - an adequate tight end when he wasn't injured.  Not just a pass catcher who lines up inside.  I don't think he'll ever get a ton of targets or anything, but he's made some plays in the red zone and can block. 

• Like (+1) 1