Day One Bills FA Recap

eball

So in one day of "unofficial" negotiations the Bills accomplished the following:

1.  Acquired a CB with 1st round pedigree who will hopefully push Levi and provide solid depth

2.  Methuselah joins the team at RB; at first a "huh?" signing but at $2M is a drop in the bucket and provides veteran leadership (PFF rated him very highly last season if you follow that stuff)

3.  Signed a TE who has shown flashes of production in the passing game (2017) but is at the very least a capable blocker

4.  Potentially "fixed" the C position by acquiring a guy who hasn't given up a sack since 2015; backup already in place with previous Long signing

This is a promising start.  You can point out potential pitfalls with any of these moves, but there's nothing here that looks "scattershot" or not part of the larger plan.  I believe Gore's signing likely means Ivory is gone, and they will draft a youngster who gets to learn behind Gore (consummate pro) and Shady while they form a RBBC.  I don't think they're done at TE at all and expect them to draft one, but Kroft is a decent addition.

What's next?  A Daryl Williams signing and a veteran WR would complete my personal FA checklist and set the Bills up nicely for the draft.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I am at Disney world this week with my family.

i appreciated you guys doing the heavy lifting and keeping me up to date as I can only scan my phone briefly.

eball, in typical Bills fan fashion I please with day one, or pre-true free agency, but I’m taking a wait and see attitude.

GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, eball said:

So in one day of "unofficial" negotiations the Bills accomplished the following:

1.  Acquired a CB with 1st round pedigree who will hopefully push Levi and provide solid depth

2.  Methuselah joins the team at RB; at first a "huh?" signing but at $2M is a drop in the bucket and provides veteran leadership (PFF rated him very highly last season if you follow that stuff)

3.  Signed a TE who has shown flashes of production in the passing game (2017) but is at the very least a capable blocker

4.  Potentially "fixed" the C position by acquiring a guy who hasn't given up a sack since 2015; backup already in place with previous Long signing

This is a promising start.  You can point out potential pitfalls with any of these moves, but there's nothing here that looks "scattershot" or not part of the larger plan.  I believe Gore's signing likely means Ivory is gone, and they will draft a youngster who gets to learn behind Gore (consummate pro) and Shady while they form a RBBC.  I don't think they're done at TE at all and expect them to draft one, but Kroft is a decent addition.

What's next?  A Daryl Williams signing and a veteran WR would complete my personal FA checklist and set the Bills up nicely for the draft.

Agree. Some good names still out there. Hopefully we can land Daryl Williams and if not maybe Saffold. Then a DE like Preston Smith/Ziggy Ansah. Maybe a WR like Conley/John Brown and onto the draft

Edited by ChanticleerBillsFan

14 minutes ago, eball said:

Or are they going to announce today they have a trade in place for McCoy?  Probably not, but you never know!

19 minutes ago, eball said:

Good point about Ivory. Capwise, it nets to $0 if they release ivory. 

19 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

i appreciated you guys doing the heavy lifting and keeping me up to date as I can only scan my phone briefly.

eball, in typical Bills fan fashion I please with day one, or pre-true free agency, but I’m taking a wait and see attitude.

GO BILLS!

Try the epcot challenge, get a drink from all 11 countries and see if you're still standing at the end.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

TBD-TSW free agency summary, day 1:

Beane’s an idiot!

Beane’s a genius!

Beane’s an idiot!

You are referencing a phenomenon that is commonly known as the "rabbit season paradigm".

• Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

You are referencing a phenomenon that is commonly known as the "rabbit season paradigm".

That’s even more remarkable when you consider it is often the same TBD member arguing both viewpoints...?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 3

Nothing flashy. They will still have a good amount of cap heading into next season. Morse was necessary. Kroft isn’t a plus signing but if he keeps the Bills from using a top pick on a TE it’s worth the overpay.

I don’t like the Gore signing because it’s a strong indication that Shady is staying. You don’t need to groom a rookie RB, the beauty of drafting a RB is the early returns on a RWS contract. Then after four years you find a new one. The Bills have the oldest backfield, where does it rank in salary? I’d guess it’s top 10. 

I’d like one or two more starting oline guys and that would allow Beane to stay true to his board during the draft. 

Edited by CommonCents

I think it was a productive first day. 

I liked all the signings. I expected kroft or another mid tier kinda tight end. Didn’t see the gore signing coming at all, I expected more speed but I think it was smart to get him in the locker room. 

Morse of course (see what I did there) is a homerun if he’s healthy here. 

I would agree they’ll target Williams and it’s probably going to be expensive at 12-15 per. 

I don’t expect to see anymore big name guys though. I expect some “fire Beane he wasted more free agent money” kind of signings 

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

GO BILLS!

Image result for clint eastwood gif
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

If we can get one more starting o-lineman, and a WR or Defensive help (DT, DE, or LB), I think it's a home run for FA period.  .... Keep in mind, we did already sign two potential starters before the open market: Long at guard--he was a decent started in Washington, I think he moves back over; and Williams as a possession, slot receiver type--of course he is a question mark, but the potential is there.

So far, it has been a very good off-season, with a chance to be better still.

Day 1 ended up being fairly good. We landed a stud center, a TE that was beginning to grow and then he was derailed by a foot injury last season.  We also grabbed a former first rounder in Kevin Johnson at corner- question mark with a concussion history but will battle Levi Wallace for the spot opposite Tre White.

What would you like to see in day 2 and 3 of FA? Personally, I would love to see the Bills make a hard pitch for WR Tyrell Williams but word on the street the Colts are going after him. If we can’t grab Williams I would welcome Beasley from the Cowboys. OT Darryl Williams is another that would be a great addition to our line. 

Lets not forget we grabbed Spencer Long also. Hopefully he excels at the Guard spot because Center did not work out for him. 

If these final pieces can fall into place then we can go BPA in the first 3 rounds. Rounds 4-5 I would hope the Bills grab a RB- look for Ivory and Murphy to be gone if that happens.

- On a sidenote- 2 weekends ago I had a heart attack (STEMI)- no sympathy please. Just a reminder that life is short and to make the most of every day, diet right, and keep moving.

Go Bills!!!

Edited by billsfan_34
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1