The stupidity of Free Agency summed up in one deal.

21 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Kwon Alexander.  

When will the 49ers learn?  They love forking over massive UNEARNED contracts to "potential" as if those players are already Elite.  They did it with Kap, Jimmy G, McKinnon, and now Kwon.  

Somehow, the answer to the trivia question "Who is the highest paid ILB in NFL History" is at the moment Kwon Alexander.  How is this possible?  

1. He is an undersized LB whose best asset is speed.
  2. Now he is coming off a torn ACL so who knows how much that impacts his speed.
  3. He has missed at least 4 games in 3 of his first 4 seasons.
  4. He has one season over 100 tackles.
  5. Since 2011, only 9 players in the NFL have over 50 missed tackles.  Kwon has been in the NFL since 2015 and already has 78.  
    1. NOTE:  He has missed a total of 16 games and parts of others.  So he amassed those 78 missed tackles in just under 3 seasons too.

YET, this guy is somehow the highest paid ILB in NFL History?  While everyone was freaking out while guys like this (not him specifically) were getting grossly over paid for what they have done on the field, I am thrilled we don't have a FO making frivolous moves like this.  This move could work out for the 49ers, time will tell.  But man its crazy to see how much some of these guys are getting paid for doing so little.  

I think FA is off to a very good start for the Bills, now if we can land another quality OL like Williams, Saffold, Taylor, etc we will have had a pretty good FA overall.  

It is dumb but the players and agents love the contract leapfrogging that goes on every year.  Gives them data and leverage for negotiations and keeps player salaries on the steady rise.  It's a great gig (player or agent) if you can get it.  Owners and GM's often don't look smart in the process. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Like Buddy Nix always said, everyone overpays in free agency.  There are no deals to be had.

If you are outbidding 31 other teams for any particular players service then I think that says it all..

On another note.. interested to see what Jordan Mills gets after the Hart signing..

1 hour ago, Golden Goat said:

Exhibit B: Funchess, Devin

While the $13M a year is crazy for him, its just a 1 year deal and Colts have so much cap room.  So not a bad deal for Colts, if he plays up to it with Luck, they can resign him next year to a long term deal.  He falls short, he is off the books or resigns a longer term deal for a more appropriate price.  

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I'm not sure what is so great about the gore deal...

Not that its great, he's cheap value and really expect us to cut Ivory and then Gore becomes cheaper than Ivory.  Maybe Gore can also help his buddy McCoy extend his career like him and play well for another year or two.  

Overall response to Gore deal has been positive outside this board.  Not a game changing signing by any means, but I mean he is super cheap and despite his age has been solid.  They are saying best deal in terms of value.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3

This free agency tampering window has been insane! Sooo many crazy deals... 

There are always some head scratching contracts given out every year in free agency. But this year there just seems to be more than usual and we are not even 24hrs in yet. 

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

While the $13M a year is crazy for him, its just a 1 year deal and Colts have so much cap room.  So not a bad deal for Colts, if he plays up to it with Luck, they can resign him next year to a long term deal.  He falls short, he is off the books or resigns a longer term deal for a more appropriate price.  

True. I guess I'm just mind-boggled to see a guy who led the league in drop % getting paid $13M.

Hell, I could EASILY lead the league in drops, and I'd do it for $9-10M less!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

True. I guess I'm just mind-boggled to see a guy who led the league in drop % getting paid $13M.

Hell, I could EASILY lead the league in drops, and I'd do it for $9-10M less!

For real right!  Only saving grace, and I mean only, is that its a 1 year deal and Colts have stupid amount of cap space.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agreed.  Hart was a doozy itself, but not like the madness of Kwon.  

Haha I'm confused here. We're you hoping to get Kwon on the cheap here and are mad that the 49ers made a ludicrous offer or just annoyed that Kwon set an unreasonable market price for other linebackers you wanted?

What's eating you Alpha?

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not that its great, he's cheap value and really expect us to cut Ivory and then Gore becomes cheaper than Ivory.  Maybe Gore can also help his buddy McCoy extend his career like him and play well for another year or two.  

Overall response to Gore deal has been positive outside this board.  Not a game changing signing by any means, but I mean he is super cheap and despite his age has been solid.  They are saying best deal in terms of value.  

I know he's not expensive, but I'm going to disagree. You can take a chance on s lot of other guys that are low risk high reward... he seems like his reward is always going to be eh...  he won't kill you, but he has no upside. I'm not quite sure I get the point in it.

37 minutes ago, Billsguy said:

Please don't challenge Beane.

Why not? I don't get what the deal is with this fanbase where you have to make them a deity.

They can be good at their job and make mistakes.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

There are always so many guys with issues in FA. Injuries, character, excessive pay demands, etc. It seems Beane is willing to take a chance on guys with injury concerns over guys with character concerns like laziness.

An injured player may recover, a lazy player stays lazy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1