The stupidity of Free Agency summed up in one deal.

Kwon Alexander.  

When will the 49ers learn?  They love forking over massive UNEARNED contracts to "potential" as if those players are already Elite.  They did it with Kap, Jimmy G, McKinnon, and now Kwon.  

Somehow, the answer to the trivia question "Who is the highest paid ILB in NFL History" is at the moment Kwon Alexander.  How is this possible?  

1. He is an undersized LB whose best asset is speed.
  2. Now he is coming off a torn ACL so who knows how much that impacts his speed.
  3. He has missed at least 4 games in 3 of his first 4 seasons.
  4. He has one season over 100 tackles.
  5. Since 2011, only 9 players in the NFL have over 50 missed tackles.  Kwon has been in the NFL since 2015 and already has 78.  
    1. NOTE:  He has missed a total of 16 games and parts of others.  So he amassed those 78 missed tackles in just under 3 seasons too.

YET, this guy is somehow the highest paid ILB in NFL History?  While everyone was freaking out while guys like this (not him specifically) were getting grossly over paid for what they have done on the field, I am thrilled we don't have a FO making frivolous moves like this.  This move could work out for the 49ers, time will tell.  But man its crazy to see how much some of these guys are getting paid for doing so little.  

I think FA is off to a very good start for the Bills, now if we can land another quality OL like Williams, Saffold, Taylor, etc we will have had a pretty good FA overall.  

• Like (+1) 14

Wait did i log into the 49ers website?

To their defense we made Morse the highest paid center in the league.  I think every will agree he’s not the best center in the league but he’s pretty good.  Just how it goes 

Edited by CaptnCoke11

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Kwon Alexander.  

When will the 49ers learn?  They love forking over massive UNEARNED contracts to "potential" as if those players are already Elite.  They did it with Kap, Jimmy G, McKinnon, and now Kwon.  

Somehow, the answer to the trivia question "Who is the highest paid ILB in NFL History" is at the moment Kwon Alexander.  How is this possible?  

2. Now he is coming off a torn ACL so who knows how much that impacts his speed.
  5. Since 2011, only 9 players in the NFL have over 50 missed tackles.  Kwon has been in the NFL since 2015 and already has 78.  
    1. NOTE:  He has missed a total of 16 games and parts of others.  So he amassed those 78 missed tackles in just under 3 seasons too.

YET, this guy is somehow the highest paid ILB in NFL History?  While everyone was freaking out while guys like this (not him specifically) were getting grossly over paid for what they have done on the field, I am thrilled we don't have a FO making frivolous moves like this.  This move could work out for the 49ers, time will tell.  But man its crazy to see how much some of these guys are getting paid for doing so little.  

I think FA is off to a very good start for the Bills, now if we can land another quality OL like Williams, Saffold, Taylor, etc we will have had a pretty good FA overall.  

I was shocked when I saw the $13.25M AAV.

Worst deal in UFA so far, IMO.

Honestly I thought he was going to have to settle for a one year $4M prove-it deal.

Thomas Davis gotta' be perked up over this deal.:blink:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Kwon Alexander.  

Actually it would be OT Bobby Hart getting 21M over three years. 

14 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Wait did i log into the 49ers website?

To their defense we made Morse the highest paid center in the league.  I think every will agree he’s not the best center in the league but he’s pretty good.  Just how it goes 

Morse:  Pretty good and young Center.

Kwon:  Undersized, cant tackle, torn ACL.  

I understand FA is going to create new highest paid players at positions each year, but at least Morse earned his payday by being a pretty good center.  Kwon has missed 25% of his games in his 4 years and cant tackle.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

The bar for what becomes the highest paid changes every free agency period and by the time the cap gets re-set, it's not nearly as bad as you thought it would be. These teams are loaded with money. They have needs because they havent been very good, so they spend the money. I never care much if somebody gets "overpaid" if I think the player is a good player. You cant survive in a cash rich NFL as a bottom feeder all the time.

Edited by BubbaT

Like Buddy Nix always said, everyone overpays in free agency.  There are no deals to be had.

I'm glad we got our guy at C.   Now lets get our LT in the first and have him compete with Dawk, loser goes to the right side or in Dawk's place guard (where he was projected to play all along by most scouts)

11 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Explain Murphy, Ivory, Gore, and Bodine?  All just as bad.

Even Beane wouldn;t mess up that bad...

Murphy had an easy out after one year and still does.  Ivory, Gore and Bodine were all cheap.  Ivory was also a solid contributor for us.  Bodine is decent rotational guy who guy forced to start where he is not good enough to do that.  

None of those contracts are remotely close to as bad as the things we have seen today.  

• Like (+1) 3