AJ Green and Daryl Williams

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

20 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I think Green is a heck of a player, but he’s not actually available and would be prohibitively expensive with draff picks. I’d rather just keep our picks and sign both Tyrell Williams & John Brown and have what would be an underrated yet very strong receiving corp. 

But if we could get Green for a 2nd and next year's 3rd, I'd be all over that. You're probably right, though. I doubt he'd come that cheaply. In your scenario, on the other hand, we'd be without a #1 WR and I don't really agree that would be a "very strong" WR corps. It would suffice, though. I'd be OK with that if we grabbed 1 or 2 more solid OL and ran the ball a lot more. Also, I'll be surprised if either Brown or Williams come to Buffalo.

4 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

If I'm Bean right now these are my targets after today's signings.  We missed out on AB and it's a weak free agent receiver class.  Tyrell Williams is nice and all but he is not a #1 guy although he is about to be paid like one.  I would rather not go after him and at worst save that money for other free agents this season or next.  The draft seems to be weak at the top end for receivers.  I know everyone is nutting over Metcalf but for me, that cone and shuttle drill pretty much takes him off my board in the first round. 

That leaves trade to be the most viable option for a true #1 receiver.  People keep throwing around Beckham but he is going to cost too much in a trade.  I think the Bills would have to give up the 9th overall + to get him.  Also I can't think of a personality that would take to Buffalo less than Beckham.  He is a megadiva and I think it would be a mistake to bring him here. 

So the other guys that have been speculated to be available would be AJ Green and Julio Jones.  Julio Jones I kind of don't think is realistic for a few reasons.  Despite him just turning 30, I still think he would cost the 9th overall + to get.  Also the Falcons have Matt Ryan and I think they aren't breaking those two up anytime soon.

As for AJ Green, I think he could be had.  Green is a free agent after this season and he is going to want one more big payday which I don't know if the Bangles are going to want to ante up for.  If I am the Bills I am offering the 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft, and maybe a third in 2020.  Then I am offering Green a 3 year deal that makes him the highest paid receiver in the league or close to it.  Keeping him signed to 3 years avoids future cap problems if Allen pans out and we want to sign him long term. 

Then I am looking to sign Daryl Williams to a 3 year deal around $11-13 million per year.  Again you give him big money but keeping it to three years allows us to avoid future cap problems and doesn't preclude you from re-signing Dion Dawkins when he is up for his next contract, assuming he develops into a worthwhile tackle or guard. 

With this approach you go into the draft with a true top tier #1 receiver, who is not at all a headcase locked in.  Then you are looking to draft BPA at 9 which will probably be an OT or a defensive lineman.  Maybe you take Taylor or Williams at #9.  Taylor may not be there but you may be able to trade down and still take Jonah Williams, or just trade down and go in another direction.  Regardless, with what we already did today, adding Green and Daryl Williams would gives the Bills tons of flexibility at draft time even with giving up the 2nd. 

Taylor/Williams, Dawkins, Morse, Long/Teller, Williams

or

Dawkins, XXX/Teller, Morse, Long, Williams

In the first scenario we use our first pick on a LT and may have gone from maybe the worst offensive line in the league to one of the best.  In the second we have still improved our line vastly and it can still be very good or better.  I think either scenario with AJ Green added to the mix is enough to get me as excited as a Bills fan since I have been since I was a kid during the Kelly years.  I hope this is along the lines McBean is thinking.

I would agree with u on this if I felt the Bills were a Wr away from contending but we're not.  We need to draft 2 Wrs early in this upcoming draft and maybe even one late. Build up our skill positions in the draft with home grown talent. 

The Bills have been in the market for a slot Wr but there's plenty of them in this draft.  Matter of fact I think its the best I ever saw for that position.  

AJ Brown 

Deebo Samuel

Andy Isabella 

Terry McLaurin 

Penny Hart

These guys all can be really good players in the future and some of these guys u can get in the mid rds of the draft. If I'm the Bills I'm staying off the free agent market for Wrs until the dust settles these guys just ain't worth the money there getting right now. 

9 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I mean, the Bengals just gave a giant contract to a horrible tackle... Maybe we can call and offer to give them a cold if they give us Green. 

3 year 21 million dollar deal for a tackle is nothing.  Salary cap went up, contracts will all go up.  Look at what Trent Brown got.  Daryl Williams is about to get an astronomical contract too but that's what happens when the cap goes up.

23 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

3 year 21 million dollar deal for a tackle is nothing.  Salary cap went up, contracts will all go up.  Look at what Trent Brown got.  Daryl Williams is about to get an astronomical contract too but that's what happens when the cap goes up.

It is for a poor player.

John Clayton was just on WGR yesterday and he said the Bengals are NOT trading AJ Green...he said they do more 3rd contracts with playrrs than any other team in the league and will be trying to sign him to an extension after this year ends.

13 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I'm all for RT Darryl Williams

I thought he would have been priority number one after reading reports about him joining the Bills..I doubt it works out now...since Beane gave 7 mill a year to a depth tackle.