Not a bad start to free agency

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

All teams sign and draft CBS. Remember that.

I’m not arguing that. It doesn’t mean that I want to sign one on day 1 or FA. Especially a guy with legitimate health concerns. I don’t hate the signing I just don’t see the reason for it. Especially today. But the Morse certainly turned the mood around IMO. That one I get.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I like Morse a lot. To me the Gore and Johnson signings weren’t necessary. The TE I know very little about. Certainly not enough to be upset about it. The C I like a ton. Saved the day. The RB and CB I personally wouldn’t have bothered and I don’t think they will help. The TE is an “wait and see” All and All, not bad.

I don’t see the concern with RB and CB. Gore is better than ivory so we upgraded. Johnson will push Wallace for starter and will be back up if there are injuries. The contracts look fine and don’t stop us from going after some other prizes (now and the next year). That you wouldn’t have bothered is the problem. You would’ve been happy with our current rbs and cbs?  These are solid moves that will probably look good in hindsight rather than in the moment.  I don’t start many threads but I did love the Poyer signing. 

I understand people who balk at player salaries when being presented with puffed up numbers that include players completing the entire contract and hitting all their bonuses for marginal to average players. But, once the contract numbers are out it's ridiculous to keep parroting the same complaints as before when the information wasn't available. Kroft is on the same pay-as-you-go plan that we have Spencer Long on - we reserve the right to keep him if he's good and can drop him after this year with very few repercussions. 

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohninMinn. said:

The Gore pick was because he's Shadey's guy.

and because he doesn’t fumble.....168 touches last season....1 fumble.  Its about ball control.

4 minutes ago, RFL said:

and because he doesn’t fumble.....168 touches last season....1 fumble.  Its about ball control.

That and he is still a very good RB.......one of the best in the NFL after contact........tremendous pass protector.......nifty in the passing game.........he's good.........fans gonna' love him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dgrochester55 said:

I like the Morse signing, Gore is fine as a backup and veteran leadership but nothing more.    Johnson and Kroft could be Jordan Poyer or they could Vontae Davis(minus the quitting).  That is the chance you take with signings like that.   The price for Kroft was a little high, but here is hoping that he goes back to how he was in 2017. 

Overall, not a wow day,  but a decent yield.  There is a lot of cap space left and a draft left as well.   Some depth at positions of need were taken care of today.

A devil's advocate look at these signings:

Morse-. Has had concussions

Kevin Johnson-  has suffered with concussions

Kroft-.had broken foot requiring surgery

Gore- over the hill at age 36

Following a year where the signings of Lotulelei, Murphy, McCarron and Vonta Davis didn't pan out, they seem underwhelming and risky.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That and he is still a very good RB.......one of the best in the NFL after contact........tremendous pass protector.......nifty in the passing game.........he's good.........fans gonna' love him.

4.6 YPC is 1.4 more than Ivory last year.  At least when Gore runs hard he makes productive yards. Ivory just looks like he is running hard.  

• Like (+1) 1

I am pretty happy with it. Many people are complaining about the Gore signing but this isn’t a fantasy football  the team needs veteran depth and it is a solid 2nd and 3rd option in the backfield. We will likely draft a RB relatively high who can develop under a season with a couple of the best veterans in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think we will keep 2 of the older RB’s and draft a guy who can hopefully be the future. The younger guy will have to learn how to pass protect before getting any serious minutes. Thurman was great in so many ways, running, catching.....but he could pick up a blitz as well as almost any RB ever. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Now go read the contract details. It is a very cheap and easy out contract after one year. 

Someone said that if he's cut next year it's only a 1.3 mil. cap hit. Very manageable. Beane is showing he knows how to structure contracts.

2 minutes ago, phillyguy1 said:

Someone said that if he's cut next year it's only a 1.3 mil. cap hit. Very manageable. Beane is showing he knows how to structure contracts.

I think Krofts is actually less of a dead cap next year (that’s who we’re talking about right?). Also I like how the Morse contract is structured. He’s making 8 mill per in years 3 and 4. If he performs that is cheap. 

Edited by YattaOkasan
  • Like (+1) 1

We get our starting C, he was going to be the highest paid in the league regardless if it was us or someone else and I'm glad it was us. I was a bit higher on Paradis but either or was a great get imo.

We landed our starting TE and although i wasn't overly thrilled with the amount Kroft got it's all front loaded for this coming year so they can get out of this contract next year if he is a major bust. It Seems injuries have kept this guy back ever since College but the guy is 6'5" had a comparison on his draft profile page to Travis Kelce and not only is he athletic but he is one of the better blocking TE also, he ran a 4.65 at his pro day. He put up solid numbers in 2017 starting in a bunch of games and raking in 7 TD passes until injury struck again in 2018.

CB Kevin Johnson again like Kroft is injury riddled, if he can get some luck with him and he beats the injury bug i think we could have an excellent trio in White, Johnson and Johnson.

I'll admit I didn't get the Gore signing, all this money tied up in old as dirt runners seems like wasted money to me but Gore and Shady on the same roster how the hell can you not love it? The dude oozes leadership and still runs his heart out, he is less than 600 yards away from surpassing freaking Barry Sanders on the all time rushing list, yes that's what i just said.

I'm hoping for another G or T along the OL or a WR signing but I'm pretty happy with this, I knew we wouldn't be going Jets crazy in FA, they way overpaid on a guy who doesn't even seem like a scheme fit in Barr although I love the pickup of Crowder and the G, I don't feel like spelling all those vowels out.

• Like (+1) 1