Not a bad start to free agency

Morse counts as a definite tier 1 signing in a 4 tier scale. The others are somewhere between a 3 and 4 as they currently stand. On a relative scale, we’re doing fine as no one is blowing anyone’s doors off with their signings to date. FA is nowhere near done. I don’t hate the start though.

Edited by MiltonWaddams

Just now, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I agree with you exactly.  Even being an average TE is better than what the Bills put on the field last year.  He played pretty well when Eifert was hurt and before he was injured.  I expect them to draft another one at some point in the draft.

I also don’t believe the money stuff until it is signed for real. Teams won’t leak the money. Agents will though for various reasons. 

Top Wishlist guys:

- Splurge on Defense chip: Anthony Barr or Preston Smith (altho $$ would solidify top D)

- Tyrell Williams (gonna get overpaid, but best FA WR period)

- Daryl Williams or JuWuan James (imperative we get one of 2 here)

- Depth w/ upside: - Chris Conley WR  -  Maxx Williams TE    - Tyler Eifert TE    - Tim Jernigan DT

Beane still has some work to do, but like where we headed. Only contract that was a bit of an overpay in market was Kroft IMO.

Edited by Acattack15

41 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Paid him going rate for a AVG TE. Which is exactly what he is though. 

He's the 13th highest paid TE and he has a whopping 661 career receiving yards. I'm sure Beane sees some upside, but this looks like a huge overpay on the surface.

I like the other signings. That one, not so much.

44 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I like Morse, Gore, and Johnson.

kroft, not so much. paid him too much 

43 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Paid him going rate for a AVG TE. Which is exactly what he is though. 

I think Kroft was a good signing. Alot of people don't know about him but he's a pretty tightend. Reliable hands, getting better as a route runner, excellent blocker. I think this was a good signing... he makes his money in the red zone. 

I don't think we've paid too much either. He's not Jimmy Graham... but I think this front office is high on Croom. Kroft is just another solid weapon if they decide to go 2 TE sets. Give Allen more choices. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

He's the 13th highest paid TE and he has a whopping 661 career receiving yards. I'm sure Beane sees some upside, but this looks like a huge overpay on the surface.

Free agency is the land of the overpay. 

Witness the contracts given to Dwayne Allen and Nick Boyle.

Furthermore, the cap goes up every year, and the "highest paid" players quickly fall down the list.

Everyone made a big deal about Jimmy Garrapalo being the highest paid QB when he got his 49ers deal. Fast forward a season and he's now the 22nd highest paid QB in the NFL.

This is how it works.

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, Logic said:

Free agency is the land of the overpay. 

Witness the contracts given to Dwayne Allen and Nick Boyle.

Furthermore, the cap goes up every year, and the "highest paid" players quickly fall down the list.

Everyone made a big deal about Jimmy Garrapalo being the highest paid QB when he got his 49ers deal. Fast forward a season and he's now the 22nd highest paid QB in the NFL.

This is how it works.

I understand how free agency works. The regime clearly believes Kroft is better than the 661 receiving yards he's amassed. I just don't see much upside, but time will tell.

It's the combination of player/money I have a problem with.

Morse, Johnson, Gore. Fully on board.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

Now go read the contract details. It is a very cheap and easy out contract after one year. 

• Like (+1) 3

I also like Kevin Johnson... loved him back in 2015 when he was coming out. Great zone corner, former 1st rd pick...who pretty much played a little out of his position the last few years. I think he starts opposite of Tre'white. 

Morse... I think we all like this signing. 

Gore...is a head scratcher.

Overall...it was a good day. Not great. I think we need to get Daryl Williams & Tyrell... but brace yourselves, both will probably be $12M a piece!  I'm willing for that to happen to boost this offense up. 

If we draft DK, along with Tyrell... man! This offense would have gotten a face lift ???

3 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

I understand how free agency works. The regime clearly believes Kroft is better than the 661 receiving yards he's amassed. I just don't see much upside, but time will tell.

It's the combination of player/money I have a problem with.

Morse, Johnson, Gore. Fully on board.

Kroft is legit! Dude couldn't shine cause of all the tightend Cincy had. But everytime he got his chance...he produced. He's the kind of player Bills fans want in this team

• Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

Well he’s been a blocking tight end with few opportunities that is surprisingly fast and can catch the ball. For a team like Buffalo who can’t draw all the best prospects in, we have to take some chances. Here’s a guy with upside, can you coach him up and give him some opportunities with Allen. Looks like a decent red zone target. 

• Like (+1) 2

I understand that the offseason is long and we need to patient, but I am disappointed at this point.  Signing Daryl Williams, assuming he is healthy, would change my view.  Do not understand Gore if we are going to keep McCoy this season.  Seemed to overpay for Kroft.  

Was hoping for Crowder or Humphrey at WR and maybe Barr.  WR continues to be a big need that has not been addressed yet.  Also wondering about what we are going to do at guard.  I don't think that Long is the answer and who knows whether Teller will develop. I also do not like that the Jets have acquired some of the players I was hoping the Bills would get.

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

Well he’s been a blocking tight end with few opportunities that is surprisingly fast and can catch the ball. For a team like Buffalo who can’t draw all the best prospects in, we have to take some chances. Here’s a guy with upside, can you coach him up and give him some opportunities with Allen. Looks like a decent red zone target. 

I became much more comfortable with the contract when the details were released. If he balls out, great. If he doesn't work out, cut bait. I like it. Didn't like the 3 year commitment.

It's 2018 off-season all over again only worse.  $2M for a 35 year old RB.  Made the 13th ranked center in the league, the highest paid.  At least he is only 26, but he is not even an average run blocker for one of the best offensive minded coaches in the NFL.  Added an injured - his foot no less - blocking TE and paid him near solid starting money.  Remember all you posters that ran Sammy out of town because of his injured foot.  

These moves are an absolute joke.  He tanked a full season for the 13th ranked center in the league.  I stated I would be open minded and I realize there are still moves to be made.  

But right now, the starting OL looks like Dawkins, Teller, Morse, Long, and a rookie and will be blocking for the oldest and most overpaid group of running backs ever assembled on one team.  And I love Shady.  Who the hell pays $2M for a 35 year old RB????  

For just a moment ask yourself is this what I imagined the off-season would be while watching the Bills being eliminated from the playoffs in 2018 before Halloween???

• Haha (+1) 1

I like Morse a lot. To me the Gore and Johnson signings weren’t necessary. The TE I know very little about. Certainly not enough to be upset about it. The C I like a ton. Saved the day. The RB and CB I personally wouldn’t have bothered and I don’t think they will help. The TE is an “wait and see” All and All, not bad.

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I like Morse a lot. To me the Gore and Johnson signings weren’t necessary. The TE I know very little about. Certainly not enough to be upset about it. The C I like a ton. Saved the day. The RB and CB I personally wouldn’t have bothered and I don’t think they will help. The TE is an “wait and see” All and All, not bad.

All teams sign and draft CBS. Remember that.