The New Covington Kids Thread Since The Old One

• 1 month later...

JOHN STOSSEL AT REASON TV: The Rise of Citizen Journalists.

[Tim] Pool leans left and supported Bernie Sanders. But he reports whatever he sees.

Earlier this year, the media jumped on a video of a grinning Covington High School kid wearing a Trump hat, claiming he was taunting a native American man—but Pool was skeptical.

“All of these big news outlets, even the Washington Post, CNN, they immediately made the assumption ‘he must be a racist,'” Pool told Stossel.

“I didn’t make that assumption … I said, I have no idea what this is. I just see a guy banging a drum and a kid with a weird look on his face. So I looked at some other videos,” Pool said.

On YouTube, Pool found a longer clip of the encounter and used that to show that the Native American elder approached the kids as they waited for a bus—not the other way around, as had been claimed. There was no evidence that the kids were racist.

“No one watched the longer video?” Stossel asks?

“Nope,” Pool says. “Here’s what happens. One left-wing journalist says, look at this racist. His buddy sees it and says, wow, look at this racist. And that’s a big ole circular game of telephone where no one actually does any fact-checking. And then—New York Times, Washington Post, CNN all publish the same fake story.”

Pool, along with Reason’s Robby Soave, told the real story.

Clearly NBC doesn´t know who the teen´s lawyer is.

NBC accused of smearing Covington Catholic teen in ´Law & Order´ episode
by Valerie Richardson

Original Article

If you watched “Law & Order: SVU” this week, you may have noticed that the teenage boy in the red cap locked in a faceoff in the middle of a rowdy crowd bears a strong resemblance to Nicholas Sandmann. A week after being sued by the Covington Catholic teen, NBCUniversal aired an episode Thursday of the long-running hit series with a scene that looked a lot like the 16-year-old Sandmann’s viral Jan. 18 encounter with an older Native American man at the Lincoln Memorial.

• 2 months later...

Judge dismisses Covington student's defamation suit against Washington Post

A federal judge in Kentucky Friday threw out a defamation lawsuit filed against The Washington Post by Covington Catholic High School student Nicholas Sandmann and his family over the paper's reporting of an incident between the young man and a Native American man this past January in Washington.

</snip>

In a 36-page ruling, U.S. District Judge William Bertelsman noted that the Post never mentioned Sandmann by name in its initial coverage of the incident, referring only to groups of "hat wearing teens." Bertelsman added that "the words used contain no reflection upon any particular individual" and thus could not be constituted as defamation. The judge also ruled that the newspaper used language that was "loose, figurative," and "rhetorical hyperbole" which is protected by the First Amendment.

</snip>

The Sandmann family said they would be asking the appellate court to review the trial court's decision on appeal.

“I believe fighting for justice for my son and family is of vital national importance," said Ted Sandmann, Nicholas' father. "If what was done to Nicholas is not legally actionable, then no one is safe."

“The law must protect innocent minors targeted by journalists publishing click-bait sensationalized news," Todd McMurtry, co-counsel for the Sandmann family, said in the statement. "This is especially true in the current hyper-partisan political environment.”

Sandmann also filed separate lawsuits against CNN and NBC that remain pending.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Judge dismisses Covington student's defamation suit against Washington Post

A federal judge in Kentucky Friday threw out a defamation lawsuit filed against The Washington Post by Covington Catholic High School student Nicholas Sandmann and his family over the paper's reporting of an incident between the young man and a Native American man this past January in Washington.

</snip>

In a 36-page ruling, U.S. District Judge William Bertelsman noted that the Post never mentioned Sandmann by name in its initial coverage of the incident, referring only to groups of "hat wearing teens." Bertelsman added that "the words used contain no reflection upon any particular individual" and thus could not be constituted as defamation. The judge also ruled that the newspaper used language that was "loose, figurative," and "rhetorical hyperbole" which is protected by the First Amendment.

Good news for some PPP members. :ph34r:

Edited by Uncle Joe
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

LOL   this stupid kid actually thought he could win (after he acted like a dickehad) 

Him with a smirk on his face is acting like that?  Poor kid is getting judged by you and others because of the way he was portrayed by the media.  No kid deserves the hate he has received.

• Like (+1) 4

47 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

LOL   this stupid kid actually thought he could win (after he acted like a dickehad) 

How, exactly, did this "stupid kid" act like a "dickehad"?

• Like (+1) 2