C Mitch Morse (Chiefs) to the Bills

Just now, Mango said:

Not really going to get into it, because I am biased. I didn't agree with trading Glenn at the time. All I will say is, a year or two later, we are unsure if Dawkins is best suited for LT, or is a long term solution at the position. 

I got you Mango. i really liked Glenn too, but in my mind we can't have a franchise quarterback if he doesn't get traded. All good. I'm not trying to call anyone out or anything. 

10 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I agree.  Tape of him is very impressive.  He literally sprints off the ball and crushes LB's and lineman.  Great athleticism.  Injury history is only concern, but he was healthy for 31 of first 32 games, so there's that.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2019/3/12/18261187/all-22-buffalo-bills-free-agent-center-mitch-morse-2019-nfl-free-agency

All-22: Buffalo Bills free agent center Mitch Morse

Summary

With only a handful of plays in an article like this, it’s very difficult to convey differences in a position such as center. Ten representative plays should contain highlights, gaffes, and a few baseline plays for any lineman. Morse is no exception. The key then lies in frequency. In similar past articles you might have picked up on tones of “potential” or “upside.” The ten plays above aren’t that for Morse. He creates space consistently. He moves between assignments consistently. He does the little things well consistently. Aside from injury concerns, Morse is a massive upgrade for the Buffalo Bills. I know he smiles a lot already, but this move must have Josh Allen grinning.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

• SDS changed the title to C Mitch Morse (Chiefs) to the Bills
  • SDS pinned this topic
6 hours ago, WideNine said:

There have been some comments that he does not grade out as well with run blocking.

I am just happy to see a guy who is not getting bull-rushed into his QB's lap, and when he is blocking in space on runs defenders are being pushed in the other direction.

Been a while since I've seen that level of play....I'll take it.

I might be pretty happy with Allen throwing 40 times a game if he has great protection.

Very interesting comments on Brian Daboll. 

4. Brian Daboll has deep o-line roots

The Bills offensive line didn't perform well in 2018 but offensive coordinator Brian Daboll has studied offensive line play under New England guru Dante Scarnnechia. Daboll took a year off to just be Scarnnechia's assistant in 2013 so he could study the different positions and learn how to best build a good offensive line and develop players. Along with new offensive line coach Bobby Johnson, Daboll will have to help develop Morse as a run blocking center as the Bills need to get the run game going in 2019.

Apparently this was told to him by Brandon Beane. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

You know, the other good thing about these front-loaded contracts is that they serve a second purpose.

In the unfortunate scenario where we once again fail to become a decent team, the next regime that comes in to fix the mess won't have as much crap on the books & have more cap space to work with :)

I know, I don't want that to happen either, just saying...

20 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

You know, the other good thing about these front-loaded contracts is that they serve a second purpose.

In the unfortunate scenario where we once again fail to become a decent team, the next regime that comes in to fix the mess won't have as much crap on the books & have more cap space to work with :)

I know, I don't want that to happen either, just saying...

The Bills have good cap space for the next two years so these signing make total sense. The players are happy to sign here as they get loads of money right away. The team is happy as either they have great producers for little cap room in year 3-4, or they move on with little dead money. It makes total sense for the current situation. And yeah, there is that possibility you mention I sure hope doesn't happen though ha ha.

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (RG) was injured most of last year and his replacement did a good for much cheaper. So *maybe* the Bills can attract him thanks to the Morse signing. But currently it would have to be a trade with the Chiefs

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

I might be pretty happy with Allen throwing 40 times a game if he has great protection.

The only thing with Allen is if you give him more time he is almost always going to try to push the ball downfield. Interesting problem to have for a change.

He has that gun-slinger mentality and probably always will. I am sure it is going to frustrate the coaches a bit that he passes up some easy completions.

That being said, if the offense fields an improved running game, play action will actually have an effect, and if protection holds up, more of those deep shots are going to work.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

The only thing with Allen is if you give him more time he is almost always going to try to push the ball downfield. Interesting problem to have for a change.

He has that gun-slinger mentality and probably always will. I am sure it is going to frustrate the coaches a bit that he passes up some easy completions.

That being said, if the offense fields an improved running game, play action will actually have an effect, and if protection holds up, more of those deep shots are going to work.

yes

and we may have won the Offseason in one signing. Most important player directly connected to Josh Allens short and long term success ! and he is the perfect fit

epic score here

• Like (+1) 4

16 hours ago, One Buffalo said:

One of the reasons I kept banging the table for Morse here is the fact that he played in a complicated, Andy Reid offense and he was a huge help to their young quarterback. He is literally the anchor who will help fix the offense on so many levels. So stoked. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3