TE Tyler Kroft (Bengals) to the Bills

sven233

Looking back just for comparison, these are most of the notable 2018 FA TE signings and their subsequent production for the year (Sorry for the format).  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000923539/article/2018-nfl-free-agency-key-offseason-signings-for-all-32-teams

Trey Burton, TE: Signed a four-year with Chicago, $32 million deal, Garafolo and Rapoport report.

G 16 / Rec 54 / Yds 569 / TD 6

Tyler Eifert, TE: Re-signed on a one-year deal with a max value of $8 million with Cincinnati, Pelisse reports.

G 4/ Rec 15 / Yds 179 / TD 1

Darren Fells, TE: Signed a three-year with Cleveland, $12 million deal, per Garafolo.

G 16 / Rec 11 / Yds 117 / TD 3

Jimmy Graham, TE: Signed a three-year, $30 milion contract that includes $22 million in the first two years with Green Bay, per Rapoport and Pelissero.

G 16 / Rec 55 / Yds 636 / TD 2

Eric Ebron, TE: Signed a two-year contract that maxes out at $15 million with incentives with Indianapolis, per Rapoport

G 16 / Rec 66 / Yds 750 / TD 13

Virgil Green, TE: Signed a three-year, $8.6 million deal that includes a $2.4 million signing bonus with Chargers, per Over the Cap.

G 16 / Rec 19 / Yds 210 / TD 1

Ed Dickson, TE: Signed a three-year, $10.7 million deal with Seattle, according to Over the Cap.

G 10/ Rec 12 / Yds 143 / TD 3

Levine Toilolo, TE: Signed a one-year with Detroit, $2 million contract, per Rapoport.

Luke Willson, TE: Signed a one-year contract worth $2.5 million with Detroit, according to Rapoport.

• 1 month later...

If Tyler Kroft was able to go back to Rutgers next year does he put up a better stat line than Hockenson or Irv Smith Jr. did last year?

Does his NFL experience make him arguably more valuable than either of those names?

In a way, we have our Hock (Kroft) and our Fant (Knox)
and when you compare their intangibles it becomes scary similar. 

- Kroft and Hock both ran their 40's in the 4.70's (4.67, and 4.70 respectively)
- Kroft and Hock are both 6'5

- Knox and Fant are speedier TE's. 
- Knox and Fant both ran their 40's in the 4.50's (4.54, and 4.50 respectively)

Could be a very ideal situation. Looking forward to seeing how our new Red Zone assassins produce. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 5:45 PM, Binghamton Beast said:

Hey, another injury prone TE signing. We had to replace Clay somehow.

On 3/11/2019 at 5:36 PM, clayboy54 said:

Good signing if Kroft can stay healthy.

On 3/11/2019 at 5:38 PM, dave mcbride said:

"Eh" is right. Like Johnson, another guy who missed most of last season due to injury (foot, in his case). 

On 3/11/2019 at 5:38 PM, WMDman said:

pretty good if he can stay healthy

On 3/11/2019 at 5:38 PM, dave mcbride said:

Foot injury.

On 3/11/2019 at 5:39 PM, dave mcbride said:

Basically, injured more often than not. Not impressed with this one. 

On 3/11/2019 at 5:42 PM, Iamkrgr said:

Quite a bit of money for a guy that hasn't been healthy. Not a fan of this one. Let's see what else they have in store. So far a weak start to free agency. 

Dun dun dunnnnnnn

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/11/2019 at 6:49 PM, CommonCents said:

Also coming off of surgery for a broken bone in his foot. That hardly ever ends well for a big guy who gets paid to run and jump. 

If he stays healthy he is a good enough pass catcher. 

Silly signing from the jump. 

It is worth saying before people lose their sh*t that the Bills did protect themselves against him not being able to shake the injury bug - they can get out after this season for only $1.6m in dead money. 

I still think when healthy he was the best TE option out there for this offense (where a guy needs to block and be a passing weapon). Unfortunately a foot injury is the sort of thing that lingers and if they rush him back again I can't see him having much of an impact. Shame because I thought and still think this signing was a sensible low risk, high reward one. 

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is worth saying before people lose their sh*t that the Bills did protect themselves against him not being able to shake the injury bug - they can get out after this season for only $1.6m in dead money. 

I still think when healthy he was the best TE option out there for this offense (where a guy needs to block and be a passing weapon). Unfortunately a foot injury is the sort of thing that lingers and if they rush him back again I can't see him having much of an impact. Shame because I thought and still think this signing was a sensible low risk, high reward one. 

This was never low risk. The guy is porcelain and actually got injured the very first day of ota. This was so predictable. How was a guy that only appeared in 5 games and only caught 4 passes last year a better option than a 6'7" 260 LB guy who can block and catch passes, over 14yds per catch last year, and has not missed a single game in the last 3 years? That guy, James, signed after Kroft for less money. I know you like Krofts potential but this situation was sadly predictable imo. 

They didn't protect themself at all. He was guaranteed 9 million dollars and if he can't play that money is wasted and could have gone to someone who could. 

6 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

This was never low risk. The guy is porcelain and actually got injured the very first day of ota. This was so predictable. How was a guy that only appeared in 5 games and only caught 4 passes last year a better option than a 6'7" 260 LB guy who can block and catch passes, over 14yds per catch last year, and has not missed a single game in the last 3 years? That guy, James, signed after Kroft for less money. I know you like Krofts potential but this situation was sadly predictable imo. 

They didn't protect themself at all. He was guaranteed 9 million dollars and if he can't play that money is wasted and could have gone to someone who could. 

I just think he is a more complete player and a better fit for what Daboll wants to be than James. I remain of the view James was a product of his offense. Oh and Kroft's total guarantee was just over $6m - James signed for a guarantee of $10.5m.

Edited by GunnerBill

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I just think he is a more complete player and a better fit for what Daboll wants to be than James. I remain of the view James was a product of his offense. Oh and Kroft's total guarantee was just over $8m - James signed for a guarantee of $10.5m.

I agree Kroft has a higher ceiling athletically as a pass catcher but definitely did not see him as low risk, nor was I shocked to hear of his injury. I saw James as more dependable, know what you are getting kind of guy. James is 6'7" and not even 25 years old yet so I don't think he has reached his ceiling.

I hope Kroft can come back but still think there was a lot of hopeful thinking involved with the Bills paying him in the top 15 of tes.

32 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I agree Kroft has a higher ceiling athletically as a pass catcher but definitely did not see him as low risk, nor was I shocked to hear of his injury. I saw James as more dependable, know what you are getting kind of guy. James is 6'7" and not even 25 years old yet so I don't think he has reached his ceiling.

I hope Kroft can come back but still think there was a lot of hopeful thinking involved with the Bills paying him in the top 15 of tes.

There was always an injury risk - I concede that. But I still think it was a calculated risk with potentially a really nice upside. And if he doesn't come back and contribute I don't think we have lost too much.