TE Tyler Kroft (Bengals) to the Bills

sven233

22 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

Yeah, it's a waste of time. An appropriate deal for 4-5 million? What year? 1999?

To be fair, 3 years 4.5m total would make him around 40th on the average pay list. So a top ten backup. Probably not far off his actual ability. We paid him as average to slightly above average starter. A bit ambitious for the resume.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

To be fair, 3 years 4.5m total would make him around 40th on the average pay list. So a top ten backup. Probably not far off his actual ability. We paid him as average to slightly above average starter. A bit ambitious for the resume.

SBNation graded the signing a D.

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

True, but sometimes you have to pay above average to get a player you want in free agency. Is it a gamble? Sure, but I'm trying to give this group the benefit of the doubt. It's not too expensive of a gamble. Hopefully he turns into a bargain.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

True, but sometimes you have to pay above average to get a player you want in free agency. Is it a gamble? Sure, but I'm trying to give this group the benefit of the doubt. It's not too expensive of a gamble. Hopefully he turns into a bargain.

That’s what FA is all about, the chance to overpay. Your hope to get to the point where you can do it all (or most of it) through the draft, but we’re not there this year. Most of our deals seem to be structured in a way that we’re not saddled with a bad contract for years. THAT is the key as far as I’m concerned. Hopefully he turns into a pleasant surprise. 

2 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

Yup. But to pretend Walter (who I don’t particularly like) was quoting 20 year old type numbers isn’t totally fair either. That’s all I was pointing out. 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

That’s what FA is all about, the chance to overpay. Your hope to get to the point where you can do it all (or most of it) through the draft, but we’re not there this year. Most of our deals seem to be structured in a way that we’re not saddled with a bad contract for years. THAT is the key as far as I’m concerned. Hopefully he turns into a pleasant surprise. 

Yea, but if you want to overpay at least do it for good players. You could have had Antonio Brown for the same price as John Brown and Cole Beasely. If you think we won that deal, you probably think a Target knife set is better than one proper knife.

16 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

image: http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/billsb_logo.gif

billsb_logo.gif Bills sign TE Tyler Kroft (3 years, $18.75 million): FARMER FAIL, GRIGSON GAFFE, CERRATO SUCKAGE, BAALKE BLOOPER, CHIP TRAGEDY, KING CALAMITY Grade 
When this first flashed on the screen, I thought it said, "Bills sign TE Tyler Eifert to a 3-year, $18.75 million contract." That would have made more sense. It still would've been an overpay, but Eifert, despite his injury history, has great talent. 

Kroft, on the other hand? Not so much. He was ranked as a 1.5-star free agent, so like C.J. Uzomah, who was just overpaid by the Bengals, he's an average backup at best. Kroft's best season in the NFL thus far saw him catch 42 passes for 404 yards. He played in only five games last year, hauling in just four receptions. He's also not a very good blocker either. 

I don't know why teams are being dumb with tight ends. They should not be paid this much. An appropriate 3-year deal for Kroft would be worth $4-5 million; not $18.75 million! 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#ixzz5iFugVGp8

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#PopJP9iFZSK9p4pd.99

The next time Walter is right will be the first time. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Augie said:

Augie, my dear friend, I think those days can only be found in the rear view mirror. FA & the Cap allow too much freedom for players to leave after their rookie contracts, coupled with having to pay handsomely for QBs & superstar players already under team contracts. It’s impossible to build a team like we did in the 90’s, where you add great talent for 5-6 years, eventually constructing a team that will truly compete for 8-10 years. Sans NE*, it just doesn’t last more than 3 years anymore. Reference Seattle, Denver, Carolina the list grows longer every year of up & coming “powerhouses” who fizzle away through internal erosion. 

We’re even seeing it now with HOF inductees, where true greats of the game played for multiple teams while  maintaining their individual brilliance. 

3 year plans are quickly becoming obsolete and we’ve seen recent evidence of teams pulling off Worst to First turnarounds as an extension of this. Badolbilz is mocking how hopeful we all were last year at this time with a FA Class that was abysmal. And he’s right, though the FO did what they could with the pennies they were allotted. But every team is now seeing nearly 40+% turnover every year. This crushes recently evolving great teams while providing true hope for bad teams. This is our Lot in NFL life today. imo..

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Augie, my dear friend, I think those days can only be found in the rear view mirror. FA & the Cap allow too much freedom for players to leave after their rookie contracts, coupled with having to pay handsomely for QBs & superstar players already under team contracts. It’s impossible to build a team like we did in the 90’s, where you add great talent for 5-6 years, eventually constructing a team that will truly compete for 8-10 years. Sans NE*, it just doesn’t last more than 3 years anymore. Reference Seattle, Denver, Carolina the list grows longer every year of up & coming “powerhouses” who fizzle away through internal erosion. 

We’re even seeing it now with HOF inductees, where true greats of the game played for multiple teams while  maintaining their individual brilliance. 

3 year plans are quickly becoming obsolete and we’ve seen recent evidence of teams pulling off Worst to First turnarounds as an extension of this. Badolbilz is mocking how hopeful we all were last year at this time with a FA Class that was abysmal. And he’s right, though the FO did what they could with the pennies they were allotted. But every team is now seeing nearly 40+% turnover every year. This crushes recently evolving great teams while providing true hope for bad teams. This is our Lot in NFL life today. imo..

Get off my lawn?

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I still think FA by definition is to overpay. If we can re-sign our own guys, that reduces the premium that is paid. That is my point and why I’d like to make it a smaller portion of the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic

He's a poor #1 and a pretty good #2, therefore we need a starter. If we get a TE in rounds 1-3 I would be pretty happy with Draft Guy and Kroft as TEs, Brown and Foster on the outside, and Beasley in the slot. And if Duke comes up as the big WR, even if our #4, there are a lot of diverse, interchangeable weapons in the six players in and out of the lineup as receivers. 

• Like (+1) 3