Report - Bills Interested in WR Adam Humphries

MAJBobby

21 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The biggest argument against Humphries is probably that you can get the exact same thing in the 4th round by the name of Hunter Renfrow. Younger, cheaper. 

Granted Humphries didn't look like much coming out of Clemson either, but this is one of those deals where you have to decide how much certainty is worth. If you sign Humphries, you know you're getting a good slot WR. Renfrow could be, but he didn't really do much at all in college. Everything about Henfrow from an athletic and a production standpoint suggests he won't do anything in the NFL, but that was the case with Humphries too so who knows?

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

Granted Humphries didn't look like much coming out of Clemson either, but this is one of those deals where you have to decide how much certainty is worth. If you sign Humphries, you know you're getting a good slot WR. Renfrow could be, but he didn't really do much at all in college. Everything about Henfrow from an athletic and a production standpoint suggests he won't do anything in the NFL, but that was the case with Humphries too so who knows?

Yeah. Hard to say one way or the other. 

33 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

The biggest argument against Humphries is probably that you can get the exact same thing in the 4th round by the name of Hunter Renfrow. Younger, cheaper. 

Humphries will produce this year though and it's not like we don't have the cash 

5 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Robert Woods doesn't play slot right now.  Cooper Kupp does when healthy.

He's the Z WR their or flanker off the line. He is basically playing both as he is very versatile.

Edited by Real McCoy

59 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

I'm not as down on Zay as some but I could see him ending up as WR4 when it's all said and done. Zay is versatile and can play inside or outside in a pinch. Humphries would be deadly in the slot for Allen, who as we know likes to extend plays. He's got a better feel for space than Zay.

Bingo!

49 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

I'm looking at is as $10m that wouldn't be going towards the OL, an X or a Z receiver or a DE.

By the way, there is a draft as well.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Any chance we move Zay in a trade?   Humphries would lock down the slot.  Foster is on the outside.  We still need a #1 and that's not Zay.

Depending on how free agency & the draft shake out Zay might be working his way to camp fodder.

3 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Exactly.  My point is I don't want to spend $10m+ on a slot receiver.

My point is no-one wanted to pay Woods 7mill a year a couple seasons ago at the slot. Now the going rate for a damn good slot WR is 10mill. 

I will let Beane figure it out and see if Pegula's money is needed here. I will be happy If we pick Adam up.

1 minute ago, Real McCoy said:

My point is no-one wanted to pay Woods 7mill a year a couple seasons ago at the slot. Now the going rate for a damn good slot WR is 10mill. 

I will let Beane figure it out and see if Pegula's money is needed here. I will be happy If we pick Adam up.

That's where I struggle with the valuation.  Lets take Humphries.  He's a decent receiver.  However, is he a $10m receiver or is he a receiver who benefitted tremendously from having Mike Evans, Desean Jackson and Chris Godwin on his team in pass-first offense?  Again, he's a good player, but I don't like the value he provides.    

• Like (+1) 1

This move makes alot sense and the Bills can afford to pay him big money in the short term because they are paying Jones and Foster almost nothing.  Foster in particular is under Bills control for the next two years at least for almost nothing. The Bills also don't have any polished route runners/short yardage WRs on the roster.

Give him 5 yrs, 50 mil, and leave yourself a way out after 2-3 years

• Like (+1) 1