Bills official Top 30 pre-draft visits

Breaking out the pre-draft visits by projected draft round (I posted this in another thread):

1: WR, OT, DT (x2), DE (x4), S
1-2: WR (x2), OT CB, S
2-3: RB, TE, C, OT, CB
3-4: TE, DE
4-5: OL, DT, DE, LB
5-6: CB (x2)
6-7: TE

A couple notes:
  • You can tell that adding a blue chip DL prospect is a definite priority for them, considering that 20+% of their visits thus far have been spent on D-linemen projected to go in the top 20 picks.
  • It's interesting that they're spending time meeting with safeties projected to go in the first two rounds. I didn't think of it as a need, especially with two entrenched starters, but perhaps they're looking to have 3 safeties on the field more often? 
Edited by junior12thman92
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, junior12thman92 said:
Breaking out the pre-draft visits by projected draft round (I posted this in another thread):

1: WR, OT, DT (x2), DE (x4), S
1-2: WR (x2), OT CB, S
2-3: RB, TE, C, OT, CB
3-4: TE, DE
4-5: OL, DT, DE, LB
5-6: CB (x2)
6-7: TE

A couple notes:
  • You can tell that adding a blue chip DL prospect is a definite priority for them, considering that 20+% of their visits thus far have been spent on D-linemen projected to go in the top 20 picks.
  • It's interesting that they're spending time meeting with safeties projected to go in the first two rounds. I didn't think of it as a need, especially with two entrenched starters, but perhaps they're looking to have 3 safeties on the field more often? 

Poyer is coming up soon and due a big raise. When you look at cap distributions per position in this case Safety (IIRC we are right about Average), Hyde is our expensive guy and Poyer is the cheap one whose raise would push him higher than Hyde - expect to see us not resign him...

6 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Poyer is coming up soon and due a big raise. When you look at cap distributions per position in this case Safety (IIRC we are right about Average), Hyde is our expensive guy and Poyer is the cheap one whose raise would push him higher than Hyde - expect to see us not resign him...

I get that, but we have Poyer for two more years (this year and next), and Hyde for three more. 

With a team devoid of top-tier talent at many positions (ex: DL), I'd find it surprising for them to spend a premium pick on a player who we don't need starting for another two years. 

3 minutes ago, junior12thman92 said:

I get that, but we have Poyer for two more years (this year and next), and Hyde for three more. 

With a team devoid of top-tier talent at many positions (ex: DL), I'd find it surprising for them to spend a premium pick on a player who we don't need starting for another two years. 

Simply case of BPA and where the talent lies in the draft. This draft I believe was known to have good Safeties in it. Depending on skills I suppose you could use a safety as a nickel guy, run with 3 safeties as you suggested or even put someone on the trade block. If we are truly looking at BPA, this is what can happen. 

Them not bringing in Hockenson seems like a possible smokescreen. Detroit right ahead of us could use a TE. 

Could be wrong. I'm not sure how I feel about Hockenson at 9 but if it did happen I'd support the decision. Getting a reliable TE for Allen is probably a smart move for his development. 

Regarding Safety-perhaps they would like to improve Big Nickel - the hottest trend in NFL- and why a Safety day 2 selection makes more since than a LB.  It has been said that you can't have too many CBs in NFL.  I say now you can't have too many Safety's.  It's a position that has evolved a lot the past decade

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000375711/article/big-nickel-package-emerging-as-nfls-hottest-defensive-trend

• Like (+1) 1

I like that we have used 28 visits already.  It is a great time to gather information on a player.  Even if you don't draft them, you might acquire them down the road via FA, trade, waivers.  If I recall correctly, some past Bills GMs did not use all of their allotted draft visits.  And many team do not.

It seems to me that Beane is organized and on top of everything.  He is thrifty with FA signings, shrewd with UDFA, and had himself a very nice 1st draft:

Josh Allen

Tremaine Edmunds

Harrison Phillips

Taron Johnson

Siran Neal

Wyatt Teller

Levi Wallace

Robert Foster

Ike Boettger

That is a solid group going forward and potentially a home run if Josh continues to improve.  This season will be a defining one for Beane.  He is dialed in for this draft IMO

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Wouldn't he, Sanders, and Oruwariye all not count if that Penn State WR doesn't count? So based on that, we're at like 26 if I counted right.

Good point - I guess it would take them off the official list. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

19 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Wouldn't he, Sanders, and Oruwariye all not count if that Penn State WR doesn't count? So based on that, we're at like 26 if I counted right.

Sorry if this is buried in the thread somewhere already, but why dont visits from UB/Penn St count? Proximity?