Per Rosenhaus, Bills weren't an option for AB cuz 1) Beane withdrew from talks 2) (new) Rosenhaus blew them off

35 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sort of but Carucci said it came down to money. Rosenhaus saying they never talked money 

Siciliano followed up on Rosenhaus’ response by asking the agent if Brown would have played for the Bills. According to Rosenhaus, negotiations between the Steelers and Bills never got far enough for them to get in the position to make a decision.

“You know what? I don’t know that there was ever an option for us quite frankly. We never got in that position and it really wasn’t something that was up to us to decide. I don’t think the Steelers and the Bills were able to work something out.”

I didn't think Carucci said that it came down to money, so I just went back and re-read it. He didn't say that at all. All he said was that parallel negotiations were ongoing, and that "it stands to reason that 'the larger the payout for Brown, the lower the compensation the team would be willing to give in order to reduce the risk, and vice versa.' " But that neither indicates a source on that specific part of this, nor a declaration that money was the problem.

It also doesn't indicate that both sides of the negotiations were in depth. They could've talked a lot with the Steelers and on introductory convo with Rosenhaus declaring interest. It doesn't say.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thats where short memory is needed.  I dont care about any past regimes when a new one is in town.  They get a clean slate each time, wallowing over past owners and past regimes is a waste of energy and time.  All I care about is how is here now and what they are doing to bring us to a better place.  

And so far, I am very very very pleased with the McD and Beane combo.  Both garner a LOT more respect around the NFL than even the war scorned fans here.  Its understandable even though it really makes no sense to pile on the past mistakes to this current team.  McD has a great reputation around the NFL as a young rising HC and so does Beane as a GM.  If either of them were let go tomorrow, they would have no shortage of suitors.  Some fans see the same here too while others are convinced the Bills and everyone associated with the Bills suck, are wrong, and are losers until one day they are not.  

Fine either way, I choose to evaluate them on their own merits and not be punished by the road littered with past failures before their arrival.  

HA, you must be new here.  

I think you are completely overrating this regime but fair enough.  IMO, if Andy Dalton didn’t backdoor in the playoffs, their seats would be very ? 

they need to nail this offseason.  The excuses are done. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think you are completely overrating this regime but fair enough.  IMO, if Andy Dalton didn’t backdoor in the playoffs, their seats would be very ? 

Yep, this regime is in major trouble...  Year 1 they break the 20 year playoff drought.  Year 2 they get their franchise QB.

Fire everyone now!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

No, their seats wouldn't be hot right now.  They cleared cap space and Josh was a rookie last year and that bought them the first 3 years.  If they don't show improvement this year...

1 minute ago, Doc said:

No, their seats wouldn't be hot right now.  They cleared cap space and Josh was a rookie last year and that bought them the first 3 years.  If they don't show improvement this year...

Oh yeah, that was their best move.  Pretend like a total rebuild was necessary and convince fans that they just need more time.

but yeah, hopefully we take major steps this season and we can see the plan taking form.  

• Like (+1) 1

Oh yeah, that was their best move.  Pretend like a total rebuild was necessary and convince fans that they just need more time.

but yeah, hopefully we take major steps this season and we can see the plan taking form.  

They never once talked about rebuilding.  They made moves that people took to mean they were rebuilding, but they crafted a playoff team.  Then they got their franchise QB the next year but saw 3 OL leave and kill their offense.

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Not excuses, the rebuild of the foundation is what is done.  Now its time to build around this new foundation this year.  And yes, I do agree there needs to be measured progress this year, but I also fully expect it.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Doc said:

They never once talked about rebuilding.  They made moves that people took to mean they were rebuilding, but they crafted a playoff team.  Then they got their franchise QB the next year but saw 3 OL leave and kill their offense.

“Crafted”. And I’m so glad the drought was broken. But all the team showed was how awful &  unlucky every team in 17 years has been.  That was not a good team.  Lovie Smith got fired after going 10-6. The bar needs to be raised.  So let’s see how this year goes.  Any steps backwards, it’s time for a change.

“Crafted”. And I’m so glad the drought was broken. But all the team showed was how awful &  unlucky every team in 17 years has been.  That was not a good team.  Lovie Smith got fired after going 10-6. The bar needs to be raised.  So let’s see how this year goes.  Any steps backwards, it’s time for a change.

Yes crafted.  They made the playoffs when everyone thought they were shooting for the 1st overall pick.  And yes, luck is a part of it.  Just like it is for many teams.

31 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

The big losers in all this were the Steelers....plus not to mention they will lose Bell for nothing in a few days....so Pittsburgh comes out with a 3rd and 5th for arguably the best WR and best RB in the NFL.

Plus the Steelers have to eat 21.12 million in cap space.  A. Brown ruined his legacy there and will be booed by Steelers fans accordingly.  When he looks back at this move 15 years from now he may regret it.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Plus the Steelers have to eat 21.12 million in cap space.  A. Brown ruined his legacy there and will be booed by Steelers fans accordingly.  When he looks back at this move 15 years from now he may regret it.

I don’t think this guy has any self awaren836192_web1_ptr-firstcall1-030619.jpgess 

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wonder if he’s lying. He does have to continue doing business with them, and wouldn’t want to say he didn’t want to go there. But so many sides to this... 

Well the story was he backed out due to the contract. Beane didn’t say that but everyone else did. According to Rosenhaus it sounds like it never even got that far?

I thought the story was that it never got as far as money because the Bills and Steelers couldn’t agree on the trade parameters. That was in one of the many twitter posts on Friday, anyway.

This is my theory. Someone jumped the gun way too fast, beane was just being beane. I think when it came out in media that brown was going to the bills, beane was probably like wait what, and that's why they put out a statement the next morning to save face a little 

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I thought the story was that it never got as far as money because the Bills and Steelers couldn’t agree on the trade parameters. That was in one of the many twitter posts on Friday, anyway.

That’s one I never saw 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s one I never saw 

It’s in thread somewhere. I don’t have the patience to wade through that thread again. Doesn’t matter, regardless. Rosenhaus has to do damage control, anyway, because whether AB dissed the Bills or not, there’s a lot of speculation on social media that he did. 

• Like (+1) 1