Would you want the Bills to trade a high pick for Julio Jones and make him the highest paid WR?

35 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

Only to pi$$ off AB.

When Josh is throwing bombs downfield  to Julio and Carr is hurt again because his eyeliner seeped into his contact lens and AB is one McCarron booboo away from singing “Peterman Can” in a baseball stadium or parking lot or rec league field because they have no home...  well who will be laughing then, amirite?

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

When Josh is throwing bombs downfield  to Julio and Carr is hurt again because his eyeliner seeped into his contact lens and AB is one McCarron booboo away from singing “Peterman Can” in a baseball stadium or parking lot or rec league field because they have no home...  well who will be laughing then, amirite?

This is worth repeating, just because....... 

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You might want to sit down Doc, but good players get paid a lot of money!  Is Star a great contract?  Murphy?  At least when Dareus signed his deal, he was all pro.  If one of young guys becomes an all pro, they will get paid a lot of money.

They missed on Murphy because he wasn’t healthy.  It will be interesting to see if they keep him and if they do it’s because he’s finally healthy. But Star did what he was brought in to do.  

If you do this, wait until after the draft so #9 is off the board. He was promised a raise and that will drive his price up, especially after obj and if hill gets paid. 

All that said, I'd feel better investing in the line while we get above average wrs, and more importantly, football players at the skill positions. 

This is my perspective.

As a GM, you only have so many resources each year to upgrade your team. 

Barring a trade, you only have three premium draft picks (Rounds 1-3).  After that, pretty much everyone you pick is a long-shot for success.

You only have so much cap space, and most good starters are going to run at least $8-10 million.  After that, you are hoping to get production out of someone else's castoffs.

Julio Jones would likely cost two premium draft picks and would then need a contract of roughly $18-20 million per season.

In terms of resources - that's the equivalent of roughly four good starters.

There is a time and place where this kind of move makes sense.  The Bills are not there yet.

The Bills are in Year 2-3 of their rebuild project, depending on whether you count the hiring of McDermott or the hiring of Beane as the starting point.  They go into this offseason with anywhere from 5 to 8 significant holes on the roster.  If we play our cards right, I think we can address most if not all of these holes in the next two months.  But NOT if we are giving away all of our resources for one guy.

Making a move for Jones now, would give us a premium WR on the outside.  But it would hinder us from upgrading the O-Line.  Which means Josh Allen is still running around with no time, our running game is still getting 1 yard on first down, and we are still struggling to move the ball. 

35 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

When is the time to make that move? 

When a premium WR is the only thing standing between you and being a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

They could easily sign Julio and fill their offensive line needs at the same time. 

We currently need a WR, TE, OT, OG and C.

We could also use a DT to replace Kyle Williams, and possibly some help with the pass rush.

By next year, we will probably be needing a new RB and SLB.

There is no way we can trade 2 first rounders (this was the trade presented by the OP) and nearly $20 million per year in cap space... and still have the ability to fill all these holes in the roster.  I just don't see it.

Still confused as to what Bills fans are scared of. A premium WR is going to make a lot of money.... and he is also going to help this offense immensely. 

It's not just the money alone.  It's the cap space AND the draft picks.

Smart teams build through the draft.  This move would drastically hinder our ability to do that.

Julio Jones is a great player.  But he doesn't turn this team into a Super Bowl contender by himself.

Making a move for him would hurt us in other places.  If not the O-Line, then with our pass rush, or with the ability to acquire other weapons.

To build this team for long-term/sustained success, we need to keep drafting well.  Each and every year. 

This helps limit the holes in your starting lineup.  This helps build depth in case of injuries.  This protects us when Free Agents eventually leave.

Blowing multiple key picks on ONE GUY (unless we are talking QB) is just not smart.  Unless you are one player away, and only care about short-term success.

20 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

When a premium WR is the only thing standing between you and being a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

We currently need a WR, TE, OT, OG and C.

We could also use a DT to replace Kyle Williams, and possibly some help with the pass rush.

By next year, we will probably be needing a new RB and SLB.

There is no way we can trade 2 first rounders (this was the trade presented by the OP) and nearly $20 million per year in cap space... and still have the ability to fill all these holes in the roster.  I just don't see it.

It's not just the money alone.  It's the cap space AND the draft picks.

Smart teams build through the draft.  This move would drastically hinder our ability to do that.

Julio Jones is a great player.  But he doesn't turn this team into a Super Bowl contender by himself.

Making a move for him would hurt us in other places.  If not the O-Line, then with our pass rush, or with the ability to acquire other weapons.

To build this team for long-term/sustained success, we need to keep drafting well.  Each and every year. 

This helps limit the holes in your starting lineup.  This helps build depth in case of injuries.  This protects us when Free Agents eventually leave.

Blowing multiple key picks on ONE GUY (unless we are talking QB) is just not smart.  Unless you are one player away, and only care about short-term success.

No it wasn’t.

23 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

A link to a rumor is not proof of anything.

As for the moderator thing.........not linking is not a fine-able offense per TOS........99% of what is said on here is in fact just one persons opinion and worth about as much as anything Jason LaCanfora says............though it bears note that moderators can also overstep TOS boundaries and penalize or ban people for disagreeing with their takes so proceed with caution Cuddy.  

The standard here is football discussion and civility.  No, a link is not proof, but it serves as a good starting point for further discussion (who said it, how reliable are they known to be vs others who have said different things etc, how reliable is the source that published the rumor and so forth).

If someone instead repeatedly tells people to do their own research followed by a little "I can post whatever I want" stomp of the feet, the inevitable conclusion is that they are either not very interested in discussion, or don't know how to do it very well and need to sit, watch, and hopefully learn for a while - independent of "disagreeing with (a mod's) take".

If you have problems with the moderation, I suggest you discuss them privately with Scott.  The above is a pretty "bad take" on a mod's job. 

37 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The standard here is football discussion and civility.  No, a link is not proof, but it serves as a good starting point for further discussion (who said it, how reliable are they known to be vs others who have said different things etc, how reliable is the source that published the rumor and so forth).

If someone instead repeatedly tells people to do their own research followed by a little "I can post whatever I want" stomp of the feet, the inevitable conclusion is that they are either not very interested in discussion, or don't know how to do it very well and need to sit, watch, and hopefully learn for a while - independent of "disagreeing with (a mod's) take".

If you have problems with the moderation, I suggest you discuss them privately with Scott.  The above is a pretty "bad take" on a mod's job. 

I apologize for the post sounding like an attack on moderators.   That wasn't intended.   I appreciate the difficulty of the job.

Everyone gets emotional about the topics though and didn't want Cuddy to get in trouble.

As far as the links...........I agree that they help, no doubt........but DEMANDING a link, as is often the case,  is not promoting civility either.   We see a lot of that.   It can be done kindly.  If not provided the respondent can disbelieve.   In this case the subject matter was requesting a link to a rumor.   I mean.......c'mon now folks.  

Julio needs to put some pressure on the Falcons.

They are up against the cap and in no hurry to get his deal done but planning on working his deal in a manner to reduce his base salary and SAVE cap room.

That's some old school caponomics right there.

He could get the next 3-4 years guaranteed at close to $20M on the open market now and then get those dummy years added later or get another deal at the end of the current one......he's getting played by the Falcons.

Interesting to see what happens after Tyreek Hill gets his deal done...........he and AB aren't the kind of teammates that JJ is and JJ is every bit as good if not better.

Edited by BADOLBILZ