Would you want the Bills to trade a high pick for Julio Jones and make him the highest paid WR?

24 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Well said and 100% accurate on both points. We're on the clock and we have 4 full seasons left to make a run before cap room becomes an issue. Going after someone who's personality would not allow him to be seen in Buffalo should've been obvious to Beane & Co.

Realistically more like 3 full seasons left.    

If your QB pans out then the fat contract comes after season 4............the 5th year option itself is a big bump.........but you don't even let him play the 5th year @ $15M if you think he's a $30M franchise QB.......you get that long term deal done and keep the peace.

Lets keep calm.  Julio is not even available.  There is speculation he could be made available, but as of right now, he is not.  

Would I be interested in a trade for him, sure, who wouldn't like having an Elite WR.  Do I think it will happen, absolutely not.  

Here is why.  Brown killed his trade value and the Steelers leverage, so the price to acquire was going to be at a discount if you are willing to take on the contract.  Julio will have no such discount.  Its going to take premium trade assets to get him, and I don't see Beane both trading away high draft picks and then taking on that contract for a 30 year old WR who has had been banged up a lot.  

46 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not sure that’s an apt comparison. They gave up more for Watkins and most importantly he was a rookie. The whole point of this is to bring in a proven, top notch WR as the #1 and not to make a rookie absorb that role with a young QB. I do realize that your post is suggesting that you don’t think Josh will improve regardless of what is around him, which is something that no one knows (but I’d certainly like to see if he does, instead of surrounding him with crap). I’m pretty sure the team doesn’t share your opinion though otherwise they wouldn’t have drafted him. No one knows what he will be, yet. 

The issue is what is the best way to build an offense that would put your young qb in a position to succeed. Is it better to use the cap money for a very good receiver at the expense of using that cap money to bring in two good offensive lineman and also upgrade the receiver unit with a more productive TE and a good #2 caliber receiver. Having a good running game will surely help the qb and our offense. 

I would love to have a Julio Jones on our roster. But I wouldn't give up a first round pick for him and then have to give him top tier money at the expense of some other needs. If you review the proposed AB deal it was a very good deal for us because we exchanged first round picks and then had to consider the contract demands for the proposed player. It seems that Beane didn't even want to go there. 

Would I take a motivated AB for a 3rd, a 5th, and that contract?  Absolutely with Josh Allen still on his rookie contract and in desparate need of a weapon.  It likely makes it more attractive to play here, boosts team morale knowing we have a legitimate shot at a deep playoff run, gives us a true assessment of Josh Allen, and we could draft a WR knowing that he could operate with the defense putting their focus on AB.   

Damn you Rapoport for wanting to get the story in first instead of getting it right.  I wouldn't be angry now.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm stil confused why Bills fans care about money that isn't theirs. 

A lot of fans here care more about winning the salary cap than winning games.

Have you been paying attention the past few years?  How has giving bad contracts to players because "its not your money" worked out?

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The issue is what is the best way to build an offense that would put your young qb in a position to succeed. Is it better to use the cap money for a very good receiver at the expense of using that cap money to bring in two good offensive lineman and also upgrade the receiver unit with a more productive TE and a good #2 caliber receiver. Having a good running game will surely help the qb and our offense. 

I would love to have a Julio Jones on our roster. But I wouldn't give up a first round pick for him and then have to give him top tier money at the expense of some other needs. If you review the proposed AB deal it was a very good deal for us because we exchanged first round picks and then had to consider the contract demands for the proposed player. It seems that Beane didn't even want to go there. 

If we were going to trade for Julio it would be possible to swap picks, say 1st and 2nd, and throw in a later round pick and that would give the Falcons the value of a late round 1st round pick. Ultimately I think that's were Julio's worth is, a late round 1st. A player like OBJ or Evans, because of age, is more worth that number 9 pick AND they already have a contract in place.

The Bills swap of picks with Pitt that was being reported would have equated to a late 1st round pick at any rate.

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm stil confused why Bills fans care about money that isn't theirs. 

A lot of fans here care more about winning the salary cap than winning games.

You have to make things fit under the salary cap and teams can't spend money as judiciously as they want. Bills fans know this and want to build a team according to the rules of the cap.

Nobody wants to win the salary cap more than games. That's just silly.

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Have you been paying attention the past few years?  How has giving bad contracts to players because "its not your money" worked out?

You might want to sit down Doc, but good players get paid a lot of money!  Is Star a great contract?  Murphy?  At least when Dareus signed his deal, he was all pro.  If one of young guys becomes an all pro, they will get paid a lot of money.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, thurst44 said:

Frankly, I'm a bit tired of this mentality. They had almost the #1 defense last year, a lot of people at key positions heading towards their prime, and a lot of money to spend in free agency. If they get sign three good o-linemen, trade for Julio, and sign a pass rusher (this is before the draft -- where at worse we gave up a pick), why can't they be a contender this year? Teams make fast jumps all the time in this league.

I'd argue that a great WR could help Allen progress. They can pay Julio and still easily have enough cap space to pick up linemen (and probably a few more players), and still have money going forward to extend White, Milano, Edmunds, Allen, etc. if/when the times come.

wasting assets to get old WRs is not what we need. We need WRs, TEs, Olinemen, DT, DE, LB and RB . Julio is not going to help us but actually would set us back.

Its not a mentality, its reality.

28 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

wasting assets to get old WRs is not what we need. We need WRs, TEs, Olinemen, DT, DE, LB and RB . Julio is not going to help us but actually would set us back.

Its not a mentality, its reality.

How about using assets to get a good WR? He’s not old. So much obsession with getting players that are really young. We have tons of those. We need a mix of vets and young guys.  Let’s get as good players as we can. You do realize it’s one contract for an offensive weapon and wouldn’t preclude other moves? They currently spend a total of 2.4 on the WR group. 

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

How about using assets to get a good WR? He’s not old. So much obsession with getting players that are really young. We have tons of those. We need a mix of vets and young guys.  Let’s get as good players as we can. You do realize it’s one contract for an offensive weapon and wouldn’t preclude other moves? They currently spend a total of 2.4 on the WR group. 

Do yo know how much it would cost to get Jones?? Probably two firsts and change . No way should we part with our first and next year's first plus more. Lets not forget the fact he has missed many games due to injury.

Nothing wrong with getting a solid vet and draft some.

Lets get some of these guys.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2019/03/08/nfl-free-agency-buffalo-bills-10-wide-receivers-devin-funchess/3071756002/

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Do yo know how much it would cost to get Jones?? Probably two firsts and change . No way should we part with our first and next year's first plus more. Lets not forget the fact he has missed many games due to injury.

Nothing wrong with getting a solid vet and draft some.

Lets get some of these guys.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2019/03/08/nfl-free-agency-buffalo-bills-10-wide-receivers-devin-funchess/3071756002/

Ok... I doubt that highly but that’s not the premise of this. I never said I would give that up. 

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ok... I doubt that highly but that’s not the premise of this. I never said I would give that up. 

True , but that is what i think it would take, i just dont think they want to get rid of him. But if they would take  a third i would do it.

13 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

No. We are far from a contender , we need to keep our assets and work the draft and free agency.

Completely disagree that we are far from a contender, I think we are going to be contenders next year . We were 5-5* and 1 no contest (Texans Game) with Allen as a starter behind an atrocious OL, which we'll definitely be upgrading , as well as playmakers. 

On Defense we literally lost 1 piece , an aging Kyle who was past his prime , his leadership will be missed though. The D can only get stronger as Edmunds and Co progress and we add some pieces to an already stacked unit. 

I just don't understand how ppl say we won't be contenders, especially since our Franchise QB final 6 gms were all 1 score or less , besides @NE which we lost by 12. 

I just don't see a big gap between us n other AFC teams , especially after what I anticipate to be a huge improvement to the O , we're going to be right in the thick of things. 

Beane seriously inquiring about AB also shows me that the Bills brass feel they are ready to be legit contenders in 2019

I haven’t read every post so I apologize if this has already been written. One of the most important acquisitions the great Bills teams of the early 1990s made was James Lofton at age 33. If Jones can be acquired I’m in favor, he would be a great help to a young QB and young WRs.

• Like (+1) 1