Would you want the Bills to trade a high pick for Julio Jones and make him the highest paid WR?

2 minutes ago, shane nelson said:

Nope, we need to acquire building blocks not high priced finishing touches.  Way too many gaps at this stage of the "process" 

I dont think so.  I dont think McBeane feels totally that way either.  I suspect they already have an idea of who they can get and apperantly the outlook on FA and the draft is good for all needs other than what they would like at WR.

Teams cant talk to players or their agents, but the NFL cant tell the players not to hang out and talk.

4 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

The price would not have to be a 1st round pick. 3rd and 5th for AB set the market to some extent. I have no issues paying JJ if comp we would send to ATL is a 3rd this and next year. 

Nope. It only set the market for a WR who quit on his team, didn’t show up for meetings, and publically trashed his QB and GM not to mention various off field stuff.  Most importantly one who is  coming from a team with zero leverage in negotiations where the other team knows they need to get rid of him and had few options. Very different situation here.

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

No. I'd rather we not allow Beane to trade for any receiver given he was offering twice what the Raiders paid for AB.

Where did you see what he offered? I’ve only seen speculation so far. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

So we now know the Bills are willing to take a big swing on trading for a big time WR. The next two primo WRs who are ready to get paid (i.e. their teams need to determine if they are going to break the bank) are Julio Jones and Michael Thomas. I don’t think Thomas is an option because if the Saints can’t come to an agreement they can tag him next year. The Saints are also an immediate contender with a small window and won’t want to mess with Brees’ favorite target. 

Julio on the other hand wants a new contract and the Falcons are in a weird spot. Matt Ryan has a gigantic deal and the team hasn’t been good since they went to the SB. They also drafted a WR in the 1st last year. The trade comp would be higher than it would have been for AB because the Steelers had  no leverage and he clearly tanked his value. Julio’s value is higher. So you are probably looking at a 1st. Let’s say we get Julio and a 4th from Atlanta for pick 9. But we also then need to make him the highest paid WR and beat the 30 mill gtd over the next 3 years that AB just got, total contract max 54 mill. 

He just turned 30 last month. Do you do it? 

They were good in 2017, besting the Rams in LA in the postseason and just falling one play short in Philly from making it to the NFC championship game. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nope. It only set the market for a WR who quit on his team, didn’t show up for meetings, and publically trashed his QB and GM not to mention various off field stuff.  Most importantly one who is  coming from a team with zero leverage in negotiations where the other team knows they need to get rid of him and had few options. Very different situation here.

Where did you see what he offered? I’ve only seen speculation so far. 

Call it what you will but Beane was offering a trade of firsts (moving from 9 to 20) and a 3rd. It's the dumbest trade in history and we got lucky AB didn't want to play for us.

My concern is whether AB ‘not wanting to play for us’ will have an impact on other free agents. If a WR isn’t in the cards, that means we’re down to shopping in the O Line aisle of the store. Better hope there’s some product still left on the shelves when we get there.

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

So we now know the Bills are willing to take a big swing on trading for a big time WR. The next two primo WRs who are ready to get paid (i.e. their teams need to determine if they are going to break the bank) are Julio Jones and Michael Thomas. I don’t think Thomas is an option because if the Saints can’t come to an agreement they can tag him next year. The Saints are also an immediate contender with a small window and won’t want to mess with Brees’ favorite target. 

Julio on the other hand wants a new contract and the Falcons are in a weird spot. Matt Ryan has a gigantic deal and the team hasn’t been good since they went to the SB. They also drafted a WR in the 1st last year. The trade comp would be higher than it would have been for AB because the Steelers had  no leverage and he clearly tanked his value. Julio’s value is higher. So you are probably looking at a 1st. Let’s say we get Julio and a 4th from Atlanta for pick 9. But we also then need to make him the highest paid WR and beat the 30 mill gtd over the next 3 years that AB just got, total contract max 54 mill. 

He just turned 30 last month. Do you do it? 

Absolutely.

And Atlanta should do it.

The model is what New Orleans has done.

The Saints got rid of big name pass catchers in Graham and Cooks because the super-experienced Drew Brees didn't need an arsenal of weapons at WR to pick apart defenses anymore.    It was overkill and they could apply that dough elsewhere.

Ryan is entering that age/experience range.     And Jones is definitely overkill because the best part of Julio's game is the deep ball and Ryan can't get the ball deep to him anymore.

Sure, Julio can do it all so he lead the NFL in receiving yardage anyhow......... but could Ryan put up similar production with Ridley as his #1 and a cast of lesser players the way Brees has?   I think so and in the process that would save them $17M in cap space because Julio is GOING to get paid this offseason or he will sit out.

On the flip side.........a young QB NEEDS those weapons.    It allows them to produce at a high level even if they don't have the savvy and field vision/understanding that vets like Brees and Brady have.    Allen and Jones would be a great match.    And Julio is all-process.  He'd be great in Buffalo, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

The Steelers leaked the entire trade. People here believe what they want. Whatever makes them happy. Fine. 

Here's my source from that leak.  " According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, the Bills had been “closing in on a deal” to acquire Brown for unspecified compensation, filling an obvious team need for receiving help. "

What is your source sharing that "leak" of the compensation? 

It's not a question of "people can believe what they want", it's a question of what you heard where.  Back it up please.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Here's my source from that leak.  " According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, the Bills had been “closing in on a deal” to acquire Brown for unspecified compensation, filling an obvious team need for receiving help. "

What is your source sharing that "leak" of the compensation? 

It's not a question of "people can believe what they want", it's a question of what you heard where.  Back it up please.

Keep digging.

I would rather build through the draft.  If we pass on Metcalf & Harry in the first & go O-line or TE, I see us grabbing a WR like Riley Ridley or Whiteside.  The more I look at Whiteside the more Like him.  Anthony Johnson - Buffalo would be another WR for later.  

Let’s Go Buffalo!!!!!

Edited by BuffaloFan68
Add

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Do not post gouge and then tell people who ask for your source that THEY can keep digging.  If you can post the rumor, you can post the source.

I can post whatever I want. Just because you don't like what I post doesn't mean I can't post it. If you want the source search for it. It's not hard to find.

I wouldn't do it. I think Buffalo needs to slide all their chips in for the best OL possible. I also think that an amazing OL makes for a better WR corps, better running game as well as better QB play.

PS I know these two things are not mutually exclusive....I just wouldn't trade an high costed asset for a 30+ year old expensive WR.

Edited by aceman_16

Just now, aceman_16 said:

I wouldn't do it. I think Buffalo needs to slide all their chips in for the best OL possible. I also think that an amazing OL makes for a better QR corps, better running game as well as better QB play.

PS I know these two things are not mutually exclusive....I just wouldn't trade an high costed asset for a 30+ year old expensive WR.

They just need to draft better overall. Develop their own talent. I haven't seen many teams cheat their way to the top by signing a bunch of FA. That is not how you win.