Would you want the Bills to trade a high pick for Julio Jones and make him the highest paid WR?

3 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Atlanta should give him one.  I’m not a big fan of players who don’t honor their contracts, but his stats prove he deserves more.  He’s in the final year of the current one, yes?

He's got two years left but pry wants an extension that pays him an average salary on par with the top NFL WR's.  They may not be able to afford it as they're only 6.7 million under the cap right now with Matt Ryan taking up a good chunk of cap space in the coming years.  

46 minutes ago, Magox said:

I get it and I'm not opposed to trading for Julio but the #9 for a 30 year old?  I'm not too keen on that.  If I knew we could get 4 elite years of football then I would be for it, but its risky.  Over the past month I have become very impressed with the receivers that are available via the draft and I think the Bill's should draft a couple of them in the first 4 rounds.

We could still draft a decent WR in the 2nd/3rd round.  Same goes for an o-lineman assuming we sign one in free agency.  I wouldn't mind the move because of how much it would help Allen's development having a big and elite target to throw to. 

18 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He's got two years left but pry wants an extension that pays him an average salary on par with the top NFL WR's.  They may not be able to afford it as they're only 6.7 million under the cap right now with Matt Ryan taking up a good chunk of cap space in the coming years.  

But, for now, it’s still a hypothetical.  If Atlanta starts shopping him around, I guess we’ll see if Beane is interested.

My opinion, and it’s just my opinion, is no.  It’s a huge chunk of money to tie up on one player, and I’m not in favor of trading high draft picks for aging athletes.  He’ll be 31 next February, and I’d fear that once he get’s that huge deal, his performance will begin to drop off.

If we were just one player away, maybe.  But I’m with Barbarian and Rico - we’re more than one player and one year away.

JMO

Edited by The Senator
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He has 2 years left. He was already holding out last year when he had 3 years left because he was the 9th highest paid WR.  This new AB deal is going to make it worse. Plus Tyreek Hill is about to get paid. The falcons moved some money around last year and converted some to signing bonus so he’d come to camp, and promised they would address a new deal this year. The question is where is this team and would they rather get a high pick in return and not pay him based on their performance the last couple years? They are going backwards. 

Thanks Yolo - you obviously know more about the situation there than I do.  If the Falcons start shopping him around, I guess we’ll see what Beane does.

7 minutes ago, The Senator said:

But, for now, it’s still a hypothetical.  If Atlanta starts shopping him around, I guess we’ll see if Beane is interested.

My opinion, and it’s just my opinion, is no.  It’s a huge chunk of money to tie up on one player, and I’m not in favor of trading high draft picks for aging athletes.  He’ll be 31 next February, and I’d fear that once he get’s that huge deal, his performance will begin to drop off.

If we were just one player away, maybe.  But I’m with Barbarian and Rico - we’re more than one player and one year away.

JMO

Yes and no. They aren’t reported to be shopping him but there have been speculation he could be traded for the reasons mentioned. They don’t have incentive to trade him other than the contract piece but teams call and inquire about players every day who aren’t being shopped. There are some players who are untouchable, I don’t believe he’s in that category and that the Falcons would owe it to themselves to listen given the circumstances. 

I understand your opinion and won’t be mad if they don’t/can’t acquire a proven WR. But I don’t see it as “one player away” or anything. It wouldn’t preclude them from continuing to build the team elsewhere and he’s a proven commodity who would no doubt benefit this team unlike a rookie where you don’t know what you will get or how long it will take. I’m not really hung up on age, The Bills need talent, period. Not all rookies. 

2 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Thanks Yolo - you obviously know more about the situation there than I do.  If the Falcons start shopping him around, I guess we’ll see what Beane does.

I think many feel the way you do,  it makes sense and if they don’t do it I won’t be upset. I just hope it’s considered.

• Like (+1) 2

I would love some like Julio that doesn't make waves but those guys generally don't make waves and change teams.  I think Brown was an idiot for demanding a trade to leave Pittsburgh especially since the Raiders are not showing they are a strong contender.  I personally want some stud from the draft to grow with Allen at this point.

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

If we were just one player away, maybe.  But I’m with Barbarian and Rico - we’re more than one player and one year away..

I understand the concern but it's just one draft pick who may or may not work out.  We need to give Josh Allen a reliable target to see if he's the answer.  JP had Moulds and Evans.  Edwards had Evans and Stevie.  Manuel had Stevie (for a year), Watkins, and Woods.

Plus, any WR we draft, sign or already on the roster will have the advantage of the opposing defense focusing on stopping Julio.  If all works out we'll be able to extend players like Allen and Edmunds in three years without having to worry about saving cap space for the 2019 first round pick.  It also tells the rest of the team that we're expected to win NOW.  Plus, it may help us sign other free agents.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I would love some like Julio that doesn't make waves but those guys generally don't make waves and change teams.  I think Brown was an idiot for demanding a trade to leave Pittsburgh especially since the Raiders are not showing they are a strong contender.  I personally want some stud from the draft to grow with Allen at this point.

He's clearly all about the money and in this case he succeeded.  Winning and a legacy doesn't seem to be on his list of top priorities.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ALF said:

OL first ,  see more progress from Allen before a huge WR move (like Sammy)

How would this work exactly? He’s already a dynamic playmaker with an otherworldly arm. A bona fide WR group is the only way I see he would improve. Do his handoffs not measure up? Is his awareness and pocket presence still a work in progress? Does he not study hard and correctly enough?

Get the lad some decent Receivers!!

Yes.

There's no WR in FA that worth it neither a rookie, besides with OL and TE additions the move will make sense (as long the price is  next year's first round) draft a DL in first WR and OL in 2nd. and 3rd. to develop and the rest of draft and free agency for deep

2 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

Lol I hope Carr gets injured and Brown ends up with Peterman at QB?

• Haha (+1) 3