Brandon Beane's Most Impressive Move as Bills GM

Brandon Beane's Most Impressive Move as Bills GM  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Brandon Beane's Most Impressive Move as Bills GM

• Rescinding a trade offer to Pittsburgh for an unhappy Antonio Brown
    • Releasing Nate Peterman
    • Drafting and Trading Up For Josh Allen
    • Trading underperforming Cordy Glenn and his inflated contract to Cincinatti
    • Trading Tyrod Taylor For a 3rd Round Draft Pick
    • Trading underperforming Marcel Dareus and his giant-sized contract to Jacksonville
    • Trading Ronald Darby to Philadelphia
    • Trading Sammy Watkins to LA Rams
    • Other - not on this list

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I picked other:  Trading up THREE times inside the first round of ONE draft and NOT giving up any future picks while landing the QB and LB for our future.  

I was thinking about this too but struggled with how to phrase it.  I think it’s impressive how Beane was able to draft a QB, when everyone knew it, and he didn’t get fleeced in the process.  I think he played it very well.  Maybe I will add that one

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

From a one move perspective getting the 1st pick of the 3rd round was a steal for Tyrod was his most impressive transaction.

Getting a 2nd for Watkins knowing we wouldn't resign him was a good move.

LOL.  I'd take that one off the list.  They should've left him in LA after the Chargers game.

It was more a joke!  I didn’t expect anyone to actually select it 

2 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I dont think I would call Glenn under performing.

My pick would be finding two above average starter UDFAs in the same offseason.

I would.  Ever since his injuries his availability has been very limited.  When he has been heathy he didn’t perform that great.  Maybe average at best - certainly not worthy of his big contract.  He didn’t have a great year for Cincy last year 

It all comes down to the moves for landing Allen; nothing else on the list here will save his job if Allen flames out spectacularly, whereas Allen becoming our next Kelly will elevate him to the pantheon of Buffalo FO all-time great. It’s actually not fair to reduce it to this one factor, but I think it’s unavoidable, imo.

• Like (+1) 1

Getting a 3rd for Tyrod was decent but not great because it created a void that Beane was slow to fill.

Beane was beaten to the punch in getting a comparable back up.

Had to take the last QB standing, McCarron who was eventually cut. Very slow to release Nate Peterman.

Beane seems to be willing to make an impact but has not made any good deals for any players yet other than draft picks yet.

This past years draft and two #1 picks. In obtaining the franchise QB at #7 overall which required a bit of footwork to get to #7 and then moving up again to the #16 pick to obtain that MLB in Tremaine Edmonds.

The Bills had the 21st pick and managed to move up to the 7th, 16th in two instant starters who should be staples at their respective positions for years to come.

Now, several sites have done a 2018 redraft including CBS sports and now have included CB Levi Wallace going to Detroit at #20, Robert Foster to Atlanta at #26.

Think about it, it's like Buffalo was able to obtain four first round picks in 2018! Those two UDFAs finds were amazing.

Beane is not sitting on his hands either as he went after AB the most expensive FA WR and his agent killed it before it even got traction. AB didn't help either by tweeting something like FAKE NEWS, Sure, going to run first Buffalo, LOL 

8 minutes ago, VADC Bills said:

Getting a 3rd for Tyrod was decent but not great because it created a void that Beane was slow to fill.

Beane was beaten to the punch in getting a comparable back up.

Had to take the last QB standing, McCarron who was eventually cut. Very slow to release Nate Peterman.

Beane seems to be willing to make an impact but has not made any good deals for any players yet other than draft picks yet.

Getting a third-round pick for Tyrod Taylor was a brilliant move as the Buffalo Bills entire world knew his limitations and knew he had to go no matter what. 

The reason Beane didn't sign a backup QB quicker was that he was waiting for Derek Anderson to make up his mind on if he was going to retire or not. Later on, Beane acknowledged that this was a mistake to wait for that long. Also, what he didn't know was that AJ McCarron wanted to start and didn't want to mentor to anyone, much less players he thought were beneath him. 

As far as Peterman goes, I have to put this one on OC Daboll or McD as somebody must have told the Bills FO that Peterman would be a viable starter on opening day. He wasn't a worthy backup for the 2017 season either. 

Trading a 3rd & 7th round pick for Kelvin Benjamin, then a year later letting go of Benjamin for nothing.

Assembling the least experienced QB corp in the NFL heading into the 2018 season with McCarron, Allen & Peterman, then trading the only guy who had even a semblance of NFL success.

Going all-in on the one QB who was said to be the biggest risk & "project" player of the group, then surround him with a wretched offensive line & no weapons. Oops.

Ok, but for real... the best benefit of having Beane in charge is that we get first dibs on all players leaving Carolina. That's an entire farm system for castoffs exclusively for the Bills, tell me that ain't a great deal!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

We didn't trade Watkins for a 2nd.  We traded Watkins and a 6th for EJ Gaines and a 2nd.  Gaines played well but then we let him walk after a year.  So we traded Watkins and a 6th for a 2nd. 

We didn't trade Darby for a 3rd.  We traded Darby for Jordan Matthews and a 3rd.  Then we let Matthews go for nothing and he resigned with the Eagles.  So maybe we did trade Darby for a 3rd after all.  Darby, who was a very good player for the Bills and a mainstay on the Eagles defense. For a 3rd. 

Anyway I don't quite follow about some of the throw-ins on these cleaning house trades.  Was Jordan Matthews over the hill?  He didn't produce much after he went back to Philly. So why take him at all?  Letting Gaines go when we had holes at CB is very questionable.  Fortunately we've had good players step up, but there was no guarantee that was going to work out. 

• Like (+1) 2

Cutting Peterman. Every minute that guy was on the field in a Bills uniform was a living nightmare. Drafting him is not on Beane who wasn't here but the fact that this regime rolled him out as many times as they did is the single biggest black mark against them. 

Trading Tyrod for a 3rd was definitely impressive but I think the thing that was most impressive was having a long term plan and sticking to it...that meant eating a lot of dead cap space last year so they could clear the team of what they considered bad contracts and players who didn't fit what they wanted to build here...we will be reaping the rewards of this moving forward as we have tons of cap space now.

My other has been mentioned, but for the record: trading up and getting a second great first rounder and still having a pick in every round of 2019 draft. Trading up and getting your potential franchise quarterback and somehow winding up with another first round pick, let alone a mid-first round pick is truly remarkable. If Allen and Edmunds play anywhere near their potential and there were a lot of positive signs this year, this will be legendary. 

10 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Getting a third-round pick for Tyrod Taylor was a brilliant move as the Buffalo Bills entire world knew his limitations and knew he had to go no matter what. 

The reason Beane didn't sign a backup QB quicker was that he was waiting for Derek Anderson to make up his mind on if he was going to retire or not. Later on, Beane acknowledged that this was a mistake to wait for that long. Also, what he didn't know was that AJ McCarron wanted to start and didn't want to mentor to anyone, much less players he thought were beneath him. 

As far as Peterman goes, I have to put this one on OC Daboll or McD as somebody must have told the Bills FO that Peterman would be a viable starter on opening day. He wasn't a worthy backup for the 2017 season either. 

I would say his most impressive move was fixing the salary cap mess, the rest remains to been seen.

41 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Has anyone praised Beane for actually acquiring good players?

Ill give him credit for pulling the trigger on a first round QB, outside of that he's essentially rid the team of talented players to shed salary.?

Granted not every player shed lacked talent, but were they playing up to their abilities and cap-sucking contracts?

Dareus saw the writing on the wall that he would be released by a cap-strapped Jags team and how bad that would look one year after the Bills let him go and restructured his contract so he could stay with them...claims he loves the culture. The Jags were a train wreck.

Watkins, of the foot issues. All the talent in the world, but injury prone and can't stay on the field.

Tyrod, benched for a rookie QB.

Glenn, I think they should have hammered out a long term deal. I consider that a miss on o-line priority and planning...especially if your "plans" were to either start Peterman, semi-retired FA QB statues, or a raw rookie.

They were high on Dawkins and I doubt Glen wanted to move inside, so there may have been more to that story.

Beans has hit on the draft pretty well, but I was not a fan of trying to bring AB in...why go through all the trouble of clearing cap space just to tie it all up in that kind of player...can't deny the production, but the drama that comes with it.

Julio Jones fits this team mold better if they just feel compelled to spend and bring in a proven vet at WR.

The foundation has been laid, it is still early to talk about any kind of GM legacy for Beans (yeah, my phone keeps correcting his name to Beans, and I was too lazy to fix it, so "Beans" it is) :)

Edited by WideNine