General News Ticker: Free Agency/Trade Rumors, speculation, and general information

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Bull

If that's the case we are in year 3 of being in year 1 of the rebuild.

The last couple of years teams like Philly / Rams have shown how to rebuild.  You find a passable to good rookie QB and you spend freely and aggressively to surround him with the maximum amount of talent.  Big targets are popping off left and right, if we strike out this year we are sunk through year 2 of Allen's cheap contract.  Time is ticking hard, this bull about a brain trust getting 5 years to slowly turn things around is exactly that, bull.

I wholeheartedly disagree. This regime will survive their current contracts. We will agree to disagree. And this whole notion of winning while on a cheap QB contract window is the very definition of the word "bull" that you are looking for. What a crock of horseshit

3 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

Rams. Bears. Eagles. Was this a serious question?

Yes it was serious. 3 teams does not represent "every other team" with a 2nd year QB "massively" improved

Edited by BuffAlone

1 minute ago, BuffAlone said:

I wholeheartedly disagree. This regime will survive their current contracts. We will agree to disagree

Yes it was serious. 3 teams does not represent "every other team" with a 2nd year QB "massively" improved

Chiefs. I mean, that's 4 in the last 2 years. I like Beane, but this is his time to shine. He has got to start making things happen or your prediction may not come to fruition.

Let's get Morse!

1 minute ago, Pete said:

How is that the Eagles, with serious cap issues, land Desean Jackson and Malik Jackson?  We have $80 million, and blow it on injured, backup, Tight Ends, and 30+  year old RBs

Cap space is entirely overrated. The good teams just fidget with contracts to make it work.

1 minute ago, BillsSB2020 said:

Chiefs. I mean, that's 4 in the last 2 years. I like Beane, but this is his time to shine. He has got to start making things happen or your prediction may not come to fruition.

Let's get Morse!

I agree with Morse! But lets be honest. The chiefs didn't massively improve after Mahommes .They were good before he was drafted

Edited by BuffAlone

40 minutes ago, Pete said:

How is that the Eagles, with serious cap issues, land Desean Jackson and Malik Jackson?  We have $80 million, and blow it on injured, backup, Tight Ends, and 30+  year old RBs

Because DJax was a trade and Malik took a paycut to win making it not about money? It's not even the first day, and regardless of how you feel about our four* "signings" thus far it's not even close to over.

We do the same thing with FA every year here, it's like we forget...let it all play out. Regardless of our needs, or the "sexy" signings by others like the Raiders and Jets, FA participation and activeness doesn't correlate to in-season success in any proportionate measure. You can make tons of splashes in the overpay sweepstakes only to end up with a worse record/performance the following season.

There's nothing wrong with not overpaying for players that won't be worth it, retaining talent currently on the roster, and having the ability to make big signings in FA when you want to. We're currently on track to have the most cap space in 2020/2021, when most of our big names are coming up for renewal, and we can likely make a bigger signing in the same time frame for potentially better players in an overall better pool. I'm honestly not sure anyone signed today (outside of Malik) is actually going to be worth what they are being paid for...

*edited from three, cuz Morse...

Edited by ctk232

45 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Add the Cheifs and basically yeah. Virtually every team improved provided their Quarterback wasn't a bust as of late. Texans as well. Bears, Eagles, Rams, Texans, Chiefs. 

I mean I don't disagree with you in that this regime should get it's whole contract I just wanted to jump in cause it's funny you're asking to name any team and it's pretty much every team the 2 Quarterback classes before JA that jumped in their QB's sophomore year. 

I don't think we're as good as those teams. Hence more time.. I agree. But the Bears i'd argue had about as much to work with and are looking pretty sharp. That's who I'd compare us to. Bears without a Kahlil Mack.. who I thought we'd presumably get a group of 1-3 marquee players to level up on aggregate equal to Bears + Mack with our cap this year.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Add the Cheifs and basically yeah. Virtually every team improved provided their Quarterback wasn't a bust as of late. Texans as well. Bears, Eagles, Rams, Texans, Chiefs. 

I mean I don't disagree with you in that this regime should get it's whole contract I just wanted to jump in cause it's funny you're asking to name any team and it's pretty much every team the 2 Quarterback classes before JA that jumped in their QB's sophomore year. 

I don't think we're as good as those teams. Hence more time.. I agree. But the Bears i'd argue had about as much to work with and are looking pretty sharp. That's who I'd compare us to. Bears without a Kahlil Mack.. who I thought we'd presumably get a group of 1-3 marquee players to level up on aggregate equal to Bears + Mack with our cap this year.

The chiefs were good before Mahomes. Texans had an amazing D before Watson, but I agree that we need to be better. The Bears might be a good comparison for us at this stage. I do think Josh will take a jump this year, but even if he fails miserably, Pegs will allow this regime the full contract to turn things around. I mean, were any other teams as bad off cap wise as we were? It was a major dump of players/cash. If Allen is not the answer, then yes, this regime is tied to him and probably will be gone

Just now, BuffAlone said:

The chiefs were good before Mahomes. Texans had an amazing D before Watson, but I agree that we need to be better. The Bears might be a good comparison for us at this stage. I do think Josh will take a jump this year, but even if he fails miserably, Pegs will allow this regime the full contract to turn things around. I mean, were any other teams as bad off cap wise as we were? It was a major dump of players/cash. If Allen is not the answer, then yes, this regime is tied to him and probably will be gone

I don't know how the Bears were but that's probably the best comp. They might not have been in cap hell but they looked like they had similar talent to work with as us coming into last year. Only difference is we won't have Kahlil Mack fall into our lap.. so we got to make a splash and get someone like him! Ahem - HOUSTON

11 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I don't know how the Bears were but that's probably the best comp. They might not have been in cap hell but they looked like they had similar talent to work with as us coming into last year. Only difference is we won't have Kahlil Mack fall into our lap.. so we got to make a splash and get someone like him! Ahem - HOUSTON

Or the kid FROM Houston...Ed Oliver?

(Yes I know he's a DT, but he's a difference maker)

• Like (+1) 1

Here is what spotrac had to say about Daryl Williams in the FA tracker.  Hope it happens.

The advanced metrics aren't too kind to Williams, but he's arguably the best available Right Tackle on the market. Because the Bills need one, and appear to be OK signing every Panthers' cast-off, this seems like a done deal.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Here is what spotrac had to say about Daryl Williams in the FA tracker.  Hope it happens.

The advanced metrics aren't too kind to Williams, but he's arguably the best available Right Tackle on the market. Because the Bills need one, and appear to be OK signing every Panthers' cast-off, this seems like a done deal.

I actually like Ja'Wuan James.  But it's looking like Denver and Minny likes him a lot too.

53 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

The chiefs were good before Mahomes. Texans had an amazing D before Watson, but I agree that we need to be better. The Bears might be a good comparison for us at this stage. I do think Josh will take a jump this year, but even if he fails miserably, Pegs will allow this regime the full contract to turn things around. I mean, were any other teams as bad off cap wise as we were?

Yes. Many teams are in cap trouble every single year. They could have kept everyone except for Gilmore. It was their decision to gut the roster. Now is the time for them to step up to the table, get their guys, and start winning.