Has anyone else given up TV/Movies/Music?

48 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

The last great movie produced was No Country For Old Men.

TV wise, I mainly watch older sitcoms just to pass time.

As far as music, there are a few artists I like, but mainly listen to older stuff.

That was a great "newer" movie, from 2007.  So, who do you think wins the standoff?  The protagonist played by Josh Brolin or the antagonist played by Javier Bardem?

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

That was a great "newer" movie, from 2007.  So, who do you think wins the standoff?  The protagonist played by Josh Brolin or the antagonist played by Javier Bardem?

Gotta go with Javier. Dude just had too much guile for Brolin. Hell of a match-up though. I think people WANT to believe it was Brolin.

22 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

TV I pretty much watch cooking shows, sport, and million dollar listing and My 600 lb. life....haven't been in a movie theater in over a decade. I pretty much use Pandora for music.

I’m with you on cooking, sports, real estate and pandora. Also big on the Science channel, stuff related to space and time fascinate me. We don’t know squat! Not much more than a chipmunk! We don’t know what 95%+ of the universe is even made of. They gave it names, then say we don’t actually know what it is. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsSB2020 said:

Gotta go with Javier. Dude just had too much guile for Brolin. Hell of a match-up though. I think people WANT to believe it was Brolin.

I have to agree with you - everyone WANTS the protagonist to win.  But Javier was a bad m-fer; like a real life terminator.  I think Javier's character ends up wiping out Brolin and his wife and gets the crime money back.  Interesting concept to leave the viewer hanging and thinking about it, like the producers and directors were encouraging the viewer to be honest and not emotional.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I have to agree with you - everyone WANTS the protagonist to win.  But Javier was a bad m-fer; like a real life terminator.  I think Javier's character ends up wiping out Brolin and his wife and gets the crime money back.  Interesting concept to leave the viewer hanging and thinking about it, like the producers and directors were encouraging the viewer to be honest and not emotional.

Coen Brothers definitely want to make you THINK! Something very few films aspire to do these days. Explosions and sex are all the rage. I'll watch p*** if I want to see gratuitous sex.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

Coen Brothers definitely want to make you THINK! Something very few films aspire to do these days. Explosions and sex are all the rage. I'll watch p*** if I want to see gratuitous sex.

Just look at how long it took people to come around on Big Lebowski.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Brolin died in the motel shoot-out, no?  He was in the ground by the time Javier kept his promise with his wife.

Brolin was a tough customer but as Woody pointed out to him....he wasn't cut out for this.  Turns out neither was Woody.

Edited by KD in CA

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

Brolin died in the motel shoot-out, no?  He was in the ground by the time Javier kept his promise with his wife.

Brolin was a tough customer but as Woody pointed out to him....he wasn't cut out for this.  Turns out neither was Woody.

Brolin and Javier were both alive at the end of the movie, as was Brolin's wife.  Javier took out everyone else, though.  Brolin shot Javier in the motel scene, but it wasn't fatal.  It's been a few years since I saw the movie, but if I recall correctly, it ended as Javier was pursuing Brolin who rejoined his wife at the motel she was hiding out at.

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Brolin and Javier were both alive at the end of the movie, as was Brolin's wife.  Javier took out everyone else, though.  Brolin shot Javier in the motel scene, but it wasn't fatal.  It's been a few years since I saw the movie, but if I recall correctly, it ended as Javier was pursuing Brolin who rejoined his wife at the motel she was hiding out at.

I think you missed the last 20 minutes of the movie!!    There was another motel....I think it was in El Paso.   

As I recall it, only Javier and Tommy Lee were alive at the end.

31 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I think you missed the last 20 minutes of the movie!!    There was another motel....I think it was in El Paso.   

As I recall it, only Javier and Tommy Lee were alive at the end.

I seem to recall Brolin and his wife were hunkered down either in their house or another motel waiting for Javier.  As he was approaching, the movie ended.  It has been several years since I last saw the movie, so a re-fresh might be in order.  I definitely recall that a specific ending (Javier or Brolin being shot) did not occur, rather the viewer was left to think about it for themselves.

I used to watch late night talk every night when it was Leno and Letterman. Never watch now. Too political. Now the only TV I watch is news and sports. I have no interest in popular music of today but there is a lot of great current indie rock music that I find on indie rock radio and listen to on youtube. I see about 30 news movies a year. Half in the theater and the others on dvd. 

12 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

A little while ago, I realized that what's being produced in the corporate media machine is, almost universally, garbage. Usually over-sexualized and violent and generally lacking any kind of depth. So, I figured I'd give a go at no watching TV/movies or listening to popular music.

I gotta tell you, it's been a great thing in my life particularly. But this morning, I wondered if I was the only person in the United States doing this. Anyone here also doing something similar?

No but there is the Amish :lol:

I never listened to pop music . Only Rock to Metal.

Don't have time for movies ,they suck and dont compare to tv series, which do a much better job of entertaining. Their is a lot of crap tv but i watch a lot of car shows, sports, history, treasure shows that i miss the trash. 

Plus there is youtube for things i like.

IMHO the boundary between Soft Rock and Country music is very blurry, which helps to explain the rising popularity of Country music. I often listen to soft rock on the radio (mostly oldies) as I drive, but for some reason I can’t force myself to listen to a country station.

On TV, I watch DIY, sports, documentaries, etc., but almost never any TV shows, especially the sitcoms. They come and go so fast I can’t keep up, and they are all pretty silly and have no redeeming qualities. 

My wife likes to watch the evening news.  The commercials tell you about their target audience.  Medicine, incontinence, insurance, cheap cell phone deals, or any other senior citizen products. 

My my wife also likes to watch crime dramas.  It used to be Law and Order all day every day, but now she watches British crime dramas on  BritBox and Acorn.  They are generally a little better.

17 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m with you on cooking, sports, real estate and pandora. Also big on the Science channel, stuff related to space and time fascinate me. We don’t know squat! Not much more than a chipmunk! We don’t know what 95%+ of the universe is even made of. They gave it names, then say we don’t actually know what it is. 

Same here, but add in Street Outlaws. I am currently watching every Beverly Hillbillies episode. Love it!

15 hours ago, Bills4everNY said:

I used to watch late night talk every night when it was Leno and Letterman. Never watch now. Too political. Now the only TV I watch is news and sports. I have no interest in popular music of today but there is a lot of great current indie rock music that I find on indie rock radio and listen to on youtube. I see about 30 news movies a year. Half in the theater and the others on dvd. 

Yeah, it's a shame they killed late night comedy over the last 20 years.

Edit:  Actually, it's a shame they killed comedy ENTIRELY over the last 20 years, in all formats.  When was the last time Hollywood produced a great comedy?  I couldn't say.   That last great network TV comedy premiered more than 25 years ago.  On late night TV its obviously politics, but across all mediums it's a combination of that plus the dumbing down of everything plus the PC policing of comedy in all forms.

When mediocre SNL alums like Amy Poehler are considered front line television humor, you know it's as bad as it can get.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

A little while ago, I realized that what's being produced in the corporate media machine is, almost universally, garbage. Usually over-sexualized and violent and generally lacking any kind of depth. So, I figured I'd give a go at no watching TV/movies or listening to popular music.

I gotta tell you, it's been a great thing in my life particularly. But this morning, I wondered if I was the only person in the United States doing this. Anyone here also doing something similar?

Almost all news as well, if there isn’t a major weather problem in my direct path today then it’s a waste of time to get serious about it.

people saying they don’t watch TV, but they are addicted to Netflix, are so precious....

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Almost all news as well, if there isn’t a major weather problem in my direct path today then it’s a waste of time to get serious about it.

people saying they don’t watch TV, but they are addicted to Netflix, are so precious....

I'm not one of those. Cancelled my Netflix account like 6 months ago

I don't think I've bought or listened to any music made after 1993 and I don't feel like I've missed anything. I haven't had cable in 25 years. I can get my NFL fix on rabbit ears and online feeds of dubious origin. As I get closer to retirement I want fewer debts and obligations. I have enjoyed quite a few TV series from the streaming era but look on Hollywood as mostly garbage. I still have Netflix but am finding less and less reasons to keep it. I find myself returning to literature more and more.

That said, I'm working my way through my musical bucket list and am seeing Lynyrd Skynyrd (2019 version), Morrissey, Joe Jackson, Little Steven and Iron Maiden this year. May go see Judas Priest for the 3rd time in May. 

I've closed my Twitter account and may do likewise for Facebook. I want no part of surveillance capitalism. I see social media (except LinkedIn) as nothing more than online bullying, shaming and corporate or political propaganda. 

I am increasingly mistrustful of any business and have cancelled all so called "automatically renewing subscriptions". It appears that giving businesses your credit card number is exposing yourself to financial rape. 

I am disgusted by the poisoning of all public discourse by the politicization of everything. While I'm not about to go all JD Salinger and head for the bush, I increasingly think of opting out of North American society and spending the rest of my life writing, reading, exercising and travelling - with some occasional partying thrown in.

• Like (+1) 4