RIP Jerry Merryman - Inventor of the pocket calculator

21 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

My freshman year in college (‘75-‘76) we had to use slide rules because scientific calculators were too expensive to assume that everyone would have one. I had a TI-50 which cost $75.  From my sophomore year on, we were allowed to use calculators.  When programmable calculators came along, we weren’t allowed to use them during tests. 

Anybody here a diehard HP RPN fan?  I never got used to RPN.  I was exclusively a TI user.

The high school in was in during my last year of math(niagara-wheatfield i think i was in that year) made a huge deal that every student needs to have their own scientific calculator for the school year. Parents flipped out but the schools said they would fail the course without one so most caved. 

First day of class the math teacher sees everyone pull out their brand new scientific calculators and says calculators WILL NOT be allowed in class. Middle of the school year the teacher pulls a big bin out of scientific calculators the school bought for us to use that one day in class.  Parents were pissed. Never got to use the calculators the school demanded we buy.

That school was a mess.  I moved there from Amherst my jr year and they were almost a two years behind. They were teaching me stuff i learned my sophmore year in Amherst my sr year at NW. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFanM.D. said:

i-img1200x900-1535959182mmndld1557306.thumb.jpg.9d0d2c6d2000c9c468f1cd8214fc0f50.jpg

pocket calculator....those were for losers.  

An acquaintance was selling digital watches that also came with a built in cigarette lighter.  Très innovative.  “Holy s***, I‘m on fire!!!”

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 3/9/2019 at 8:49 AM, The Senator said:

I remember buying a TI scientific calculator when I took college physics and calculus.  At the time , it was fairly sophisticated, and quite expensive.  Now they’re about 20 bucks at Office Depot, and do a lot more.  A basic calculator is practically free.

Hard to believe that Kelly Johnson and his team at Lockheed’s ‘Skunkworks’ designed the SR-71 Blackbird - perhaps the greatest airplane ever - with little more than sliderules and protractors.

RIP Mr. Merryman

My brother, now 63, got a TI maybe as a college freshman, maybe some time in HS. I remember my mother having to search (pre internets search) for a store that sold them & as you say, quite expensive.