The Clear Path in This Draft.

3 hours ago, BillsFan1988 said:

The way I see it we dodged a major bullet by failing to get the AB trade made . But what did we learn from this debacle? For me it's not exactly what I learned but what I want to double down on. It's the fact that we are the Buffalo Bills and skill set players don't want to be here. There's plenty of reasons for this but the most important is we don't have a solidified franchise QB and we've been losing for so long . So what do we do about this?

The way I look at it the most important thing we need to do this offseason is get some major upgrades at the skill set positions for Josh Allen . The #1 objective entering free agency is to get the offensive line fixed. Add 2 or 3 players spend money . We don't need to have the best offensive line in football we just need to have a good line ranked somewhere between 10th and 15th best in the league.  By getting the O-line in order we can turn our attention to the defensive side of the ball and add a few complementary pieces for last yrs #2 ranked D. 

The Clear Path in This Draft

To me it's simple the draft is talking to us and we have to be able to understand what it's saying and take advantage.  

#1 TJ Hockenson- TJ would be a great addition to this team and the city of Buffalo.  This kid plays like u would want a Bills TE to play . He's physical can pancake DEs and LBers in the run game but what makes him special is that he's equally as good in the passing gm and will be a mismatch for any one trying to cover him.  TJ plays with high intensity and energy and I can see this kid growing into a fierce leader for our team moving forward. Plus I can envision jersey sales threw the roof because he will grow into a fan favorite.  TJ is a no brainer selection and if we don't take him he'll be selected soon after us . 

Rd #2  take 2 Wrs 

#40 - the value here is at the outside WR spot draft anyone of these 4 guys Hakeem , Harry, Harmon or Ridley  . 1 of these 4 are sure to be here . All 4 of these players are capable of being good to great players . They all have size , speed and route running abilities to be difference makers  for the position . 

Next move get our Slot Wr Trade bk into late 2nd rd give up our 3rd, 4th & 5th to get this done and draft Andy Isabella.  Andy is gonna be a great player in this league mark my words . Matter of fact I think he can be AB type player . This kid has some serious agility in open space and will be a nightmare for opposing slot corners. Plus he can burn at 4.31 speed that's a really dangerous combo. 

We come out the draft with these 3 players we can really be in position to put together a great offense going into the future.  These players will grow with Allen to be force and the fact that there home grown talents it will be easier to keep them here when they become available in free agency.  

Now we have competition at Wr

Zay

Foster

Duke

Rookie outside Wr

Isabella

TJ Hock 

I realize this is a very young WR core so we should just add 1 veteran via free agency to lead the WR room a guy that can be a good leader for these kids.  Also with a young core like this there will be some growing pains so with the addition of a veteran WR he can start to begin the season with Zay and Foster.  Maybe we can sign Donte Moncreif to fill that role . Having 3 guys that can play will be pivotal to the development of the 2 rookies we have on the bench as it will not put pressure on them to play right away and they can develop properly by playing sparingly rotating in with these other wrs . U don't want 2 rookie wrs on the field at the same time because they just don't have the experience to read defenses adjust there routes and be on the same page as Allen . I believe a plan like this benefits us for now and mostly for the future of this team.  Plus we still have pks in the 4th, 5th, 6th and 2 7s to add more talent to other positions on this team. 

Last but not least we won't fix all our holes in this one offseason but with this plan we start the building of a core on offense leading into Allen 2nd yr which is pivotal . Let all these kids build something together grow and build relationships together as home grown talents something we can identify as our own. 

That's a fine plan but what you're failing to realize is rookies mostly take time to develop especially at the TE position. I can't remember the last time a TE came in year 1 and tore it up, I'm sure there has been but it seems like a rare occasion. I'm pretty sure that's why we went after AB, we already have a young core at WR/TE in Foster/Jones/Croom now were asking 2nd and 3rd year guys to help the rookies? We will get a veteran WR at some point, not sure if it will be by trade or FA but I'm pretty sure they want a guy who's been there, done that imo. If we stay at #9 I'd say it's highly unlikely TE is the pick there since I don't believe any TE is a top 10 pick, that's going off some top lists of big boards from CBS to ESPN to others I consider. 

3 minutes ago, cle23 said:

I think Isabella has a small chance of going RD 1. I highly doubt he last to the end of RD 2. He is really good, and proved his speed at the combine.

The only reason I think he can be there in late 2 is because of his size he's not the prototypical wr most teams look for high in the draft . Plus he played at a small school. 

I wouldn't mind drafting a guy like Isabella but if the Bills go out and sign a FA like Adam Humphries (who also returns punts) or Cole Beasley doesn't that sort of negate the idea of drafting Isabella too? Again, alot depends on who the Bills are able to sign as FA next week. The Bills are also rumored to have an interest in Frank Clark DE as well. I really think we need to watch and see what goes down in FA first before we can begin to formulate draft plans - NO?

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

That's a fine plan but what you're failing to realize is rookies mostly take time to develop especially at the TE position. I can't remember the last time a TE came in year 1 and tore it up, I'm sure there has been but it seems like a rare occasion. I'm pretty sure that's why we went after AB, we already have a young core at WR/TE in Foster/Jones/Croom now were asking 2nd and 3rd year guys to help the rookies? We will get a veteran WR at some point, not sure if it will be by trade or FA but I'm pretty sure they want a guy who's been there, done that imo. If we stay at #9 I'd say it's highly unlikely TE is the pick there since I don't believe any TE is a top 10 pick, that's going off some top lists of big boards from CBS to ESPN to others I consider. 

I'm thinking more about the future when it comes to TJ yr 2 or 3. But he can help right away with his great blocking and I think occasionally he will make a play in the passing gm. 

3 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

I wouldn't mind drafting a guy like Isabella but if the Bills go out and sign a FA like Adam Humphries (who also returns punts) or Cole Beasley doesn't that sort of negate the idea of drafting Isabella too? Again, alot depends on who the Bills are able to sign as FA next week. The Bills are also rumored to have an interest in Frank Clark DE as well. I really think we need to watch and see what goes down in FA first before we can begin to formulate draft plans - NO?

Those veterans are ok players but I think Isabella will be much better then them and for much cheaper. I also much rather spend our money on a player for defense or the Oline. I think the Bills will be better suited attacking those positions in free agency. 

Edited by BillsFan1988

48 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Nobody else is going to mention the idea that a 3rd round slot WR can be an AB type player, who doesn’t even play in the slot and is one of the best WRs of all time?

Wasn't AB a 6th rd pk? Plus Andy can play everywhere and his skill set is very similar to AB. He has that shifty quickness with speed to burn he's even faster then AB.

6 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Wasn't AB a 6th rd pk? Plus Andy can play everywhere and his skill set is very similar to AB. He has that shifty quickness with speed to burn he's even faster then AB.

He will almost certainly be a pure slot guy in the NFL. A deep threat out of the slot, yes, but he almost certainly will never face press coverage like Antonio does. 

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

He will almost certainly be a pure slot guy in the NFL. A deep threat out of the slot, yes, but he almost certainly will never face press coverage like Antonio does. 

My comp is based on physical attributes only . I have no clue if Andy will be as good.  But I love the player think he can get to the pro bowl a few times and have a great career .

27 minutes ago, Buffalophil1948 said:

Let's have this conversation in a week. If we don't build up the trenches in free agency then this draft needs to go a whole different way

Absolutely agree.  The #1 priority has to be the trenches.  The Pats always protect the GOAT.  Build the wall to protect our guy.  If we get the wide bodies next week then draft the WRs that poster suggests.  I don't like the TE at #9 though.  The Ol Miss dude would be the difference maker for the next 5 years.

19 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

100% with you. Isabella got smothered on press coverage during senior bowl practices. Not really impressed by the guy's projection in the NFL. But in the right system perhaps he can make an impact. Every draft year Bills fans latch on to a wide reciever like this and I guess Isabella is the guy this year. I thought it would be Hunter Renfroe. I prefer David Sills. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Good points and suggestions.  Like myself and many Bill fans, we like Hockenson, Isabella and others. I predict the majority of FA will cover the OL. Along with the obvious TE/WR needs, we have to find an "under the radar" RB to replace Shady. Not everything will be accomplished this off season but it will be vital to finally improve a long struggling offense.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

There is also no guarantee that someone else doesn't draft a guy like Isabella before the Bills do... And I would like to see the Bills sign an experienced C in FA like Paradis or Morse as opposed to drafting one. I'd ideally like to get a guard like Saffold and an OT as well in FA. We'll just have to see how things shake out next week...

1 hour ago, BillsFan1988 said:

The only reason I think he can be there in late 2 is because of his size he's not the prototypical wr most teams look for high in the draft . Plus he played at a small school. 

Dude put up over 200 yds against Georgia this year. He can play.

Thing is Allen is not the most precise passer and his catch radius kind of requires that.  AJ Brown is the ideal guy. Big, strong, good hands, good route runner, combine showed he’s faster and quicker than video shows. He will go between 30-40.

I think these guys fit our scheme and they plus inside and outside 

AJ Brown

Deebo Samuels 

Riley Ridley 

Andy Isabella/Parris Campbell 

Thrown in Harry, Butler and Harmon those are your WRs that go between 30 - 65.

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

It was not a debacle and continuing to say so just makes Bills fans look desperate and pathetic

It was a social media debacle for sure, which is where most young athletes get their info/feedback.

Whatever though. He didn't want to be here. Let's move on.

I'm all about taking DK Metcalf with #9 assuming he's available which seems 50/50.

Edited by BillsSB2020

3 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

It was a social media debacle for sure, which is where most young athletes get their info/feedback.

Whatever though. He didn't want to be here. Let's move on.

I'm all about taking DK Metcalf with #9 assuming he's available which seems 50/50.

Quit worrying about the social media.  Doesn't mean squat.

26 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Dude put up over 200 yds against Georgia this year. He can play.

Thing is Allen is not the most precise passer and his catch radius kind of requires that.  AJ Brown is the ideal guy. Big, strong, good hands, good route runner, combine showed he’s faster and quicker than video shows. He will go between 30-40.

I think these guys fit our scheme and they plus inside and outside 

AJ Brown

Deebo Samuels 

Riley Ridley 

Andy Isabella/Parris Campbell 

Thrown in Harry, Butler and Harmon those are your WRs that go between 30 - 65.

Catch radius is the most overrated physical ability in my opinion.  I think Allen needs separators more then high pointers.

8 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Catch radius is the most overrated physical ability in my opinion.  I think Allen needs separators more then high pointers.

Catch radius has a lot to do with.. catches with their hands, can go up and catch, can reach back and catch, go down and grab a ball. 

Im not saying Isabella is terrible I think he can catch the ball, but he’s the shortest of those 5 I mentioned and I think has the smallest hands. 

Id take Isabella in a heartbeat but there are a few guys in the 2nd round I’d grab above him. I think route running, body control, hands etc are all more important than catch radius, but the ability to ssnatch  a ball consistently no matter where it’s thrown is important and some guys are naturally better at that than some, some guys can’t do it at all or it is a weakness. It’s evaluated trust me

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1

7 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

Catch radius has a lot to do with.. catches with their hands, can go up and catch, can reach back and catch, go down and grab a ball. 

Im not saying Isabella is terrible I think he can catch the ball, but he’s the shortest of those 5 I mentioned and I think has the smallest hands. 

Id take Isabella in a heartbeat but there are a few guys in the 2nd round I’d grab above him. I think route running, body control, hands etc are all more important than catch radius, but the ability to ssnatch  a ball consistently no matter where it’s thrown is important and some guys are naturally better at that than some, some guys can’t do it at all or it is a weakness. It’s evaluated trust me

I know it's beneficial but it's not one of the main things I look for in my wrs. With that being said u make some good points. What Isabella lacks in length he makes up for it with his ability to get yac and to separate at a moment notice.  

Great Wrs come in all shapes and sizes I guess it wouldn't hurt to have 1 smaller guy out there on the field.