The Clear Path in This Draft.

The way I see it we dodged a major bullet by failing to get the AB trade made . But what did we learn from this debacle? For me it's not exactly what I learned but what I want to double down on. It's the fact that we are the Buffalo Bills and skill set players don't want to be here. There's plenty of reasons for this but the most important is we don't have a solidified franchise QB and we've been losing for so long . So what do we do about this?

The way I look at it the most important thing we need to do this offseason is get some major upgrades at the skill set positions for Josh Allen . The #1 objective entering free agency is to get the offensive line fixed. Add 2 or 3 players spend money . We don't need to have the best offensive line in football we just need to have a good line ranked somewhere between 10th and 15th best in the league.  By getting the O-line in order we can turn our attention to the defensive side of the ball and add a few complementary pieces for last yrs #2 ranked D. 

The Clear Path in This Draft

To me it's simple the draft is talking to us and we have to be able to understand what it's saying and take advantage.  

#1 TJ Hockenson- TJ would be a great addition to this team and the city of Buffalo.  This kid plays like u would want a Bills TE to play . He's physical can pancake DEs and LBers in the run game but what makes him special is that he's equally as good in the passing gm and will be a mismatch for any one trying to cover him.  TJ plays with high intensity and energy and I can see this kid growing into a fierce leader for our team moving forward. Plus I can envision jersey sales threw the roof because he will grow into a fan favorite.  TJ is a no brainer selection and if we don't take him he'll be selected soon after us . 

Rd #2  take 2 Wrs 

#40 - the value here is at the outside WR spot draft anyone of these 4 guys Hakeem , Harry, Harmon or Ridley  . 1 of these 4 are sure to be here . All 4 of these players are capable of being good to great players . They all have size , speed and route running abilities to be difference makers  for the position . 

Next move get our Slot Wr Trade bk into late 2nd rd give up our 3rd, 4th & 5th to get this done and draft Andy Isabella.  Andy is gonna be a great player in this league mark my words . Matter of fact I think he can be AB type player . This kid has some serious agility in open space and will be a nightmare for opposing slot corners. Plus he can burn at 4.31 speed that's a really dangerous combo. 

We come out the draft with these 3 players we can really be in position to put together a great offense going into the future.  These players will grow with Allen to be force and the fact that there home grown talents it will be easier to keep them here when they become available in free agency.  

Now we have competition at Wr

Zay

Foster

Duke

Rookie outside Wr

Isabella

TJ Hock 

I realize this is a very young WR core so we should just add 1 veteran via free agency to lead the WR room a guy that can be a good leader for these kids.  Also with a young core like this there will be some growing pains so with the addition of a veteran WR he can start to begin the season with Zay and Foster.  Maybe we can sign Donte Moncreif to fill that role . Having 3 guys that can play will be pivotal to the development of the 2 rookies we have on the bench as it will not put pressure on them to play right away and they can develop properly by playing sparingly rotating in with these other wrs . U don't want 2 rookie wrs on the field at the same time because they just don't have the experience to read defenses adjust there routes and be on the same page as Allen . I believe a plan like this benefits us for now and mostly for the future of this team.  Plus we still have pks in the 4th, 5th, 6th and 2 7s to add more talent to other positions on this team. 

Last but not least we won't fix all our holes in this one offseason but with this plan we start the building of a core on offense leading into Allen 2nd yr which is pivotal . Let all these kids build something together grow and build relationships together as home grown talents something we can identify as our own. 

Edited by BillsFan1988
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

The way I see it we dodged a major bullet by failing to get the AB trade made . But what did we learn from this debacle? For me it's not exactly what I learned but what I want to double down on. It's the fact that we are the Buffalo Bills and skill set players don't want to be here.

Just isn't particularly true.

The most important thing is money. Not just for Buffalo but for everybody.

And what is a debacle about it? They kicked the tires, got the values that would be necessary and the money AB would require - neither one of which would have been available without entering negotiations with the Steelers - and then decided it wasn't worth it. According to Carucci they never spoke to AB himself in any way but had spoken to his agent and were very confident that if they'd done the trade and successfully re-negged Brown, necessary to make the trade of course, that he would have reported.

The Steelers were the ones who broke it to Rapoport, not the Bills. It may have hit Bills fans hard but it's no debacle.

"Despite speculation that their inability to acquire Brown doesn’t bode well for their efforts to sign players during the NFL’s unrestricted free-agent period that begins Wednesday, the Bills believe what was true before about signing players in the open market remains true: money talks.

"It has been the Bills’ experience that there are certain players who prefer to play in larger markets and, if contract offers are equal, will choose those teams. The Bills also have found there are some who would rather play in smaller markets.

"Still, money is always the largest factor in signing free agents."

https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/08/buffalo-bills-antonio-brown-pittsburgh-steelers-brandon-beane-nfl-football/

Edited by Thurman#1

20 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Just isn't particularly true.

The most important thing is money. Not just for Buffalo but for everybody.

And what is a debacle about it? They kicked the tires, got the values that would be necessary and the money AB would require - neither one of which would have been available without entering negotiations with the Steelers - and then decided it wasn't worth it. According to Carucci they never spoke to AB himself in any way but had spoken to his agent and were very confident that if they'd done the trade and successfully re-negged Brown, necessary to make the trade of course, that he would have reported.

The Steelers were the ones who broke it to Rapoport, not the Bills. It may have hit Bills fans hard but it's no debacle.

"Despite speculation that their inability to acquire Brown doesn’t bode well for their efforts to sign players during the NFL’s unrestricted free-agent period that begins Wednesday, the Bills believe what was true before about signing players in the open market remains true: money talks.

"It has been the Bills’ experience that there are certain players who prefer to play in larger markets and, if contract offers are equal, will choose those teams. The Bills also have found there are some who would rather play in smaller markets.

"Still, money is always the largest factor in signing free agents."

https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/08/buffalo-bills-antonio-brown-pittsburgh-steelers-brandon-beane-nfl-football/

Yeah, I wasn’t on the board for all the excitement, but I don’t see where the debacle is either. Now, if you actually make the trade & he refuses to show up, that’s a debacle.

• Like (+1) 2

Love how Bills fans are already revising history with the Antonio Brown saga, all over this forum. 

Negotiations never got as far as talking money or the Bills hearing a price they were unwilling to pay, because Brown via his agent Drew Rosenaus made it clear he straight up wouldn't go to Buffalo for any price or term.

Period.

Any suggestion that "the price was too high in the end so we walked away" is pure spin coming from OBD so as to try and save a little face and avoid further embarrassment over the entire misadventure.

And what were those guys doing going after Antonio Brown anyway?  I guess all the "process" and "culture" talk was in fact BS, just like it smelled like, all along!

• Like (+1) 2

I’m 100% for TE WR rd 1&2

I like 

1. TJ Hockenson 

2. AJ Brown/Deebo Samuels/Riley Ridley/Parris Campbell.... in that order.  Isabella is definitely a possibility at 40 but I like your idea of moving back up in the 2nd and using 40 maybe on best Defense available 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

I’m 100% for TE WR rd 1&2

I like 

1. TJ Hockenson 

2. AJ Brown/Deebo Samuels/Riley Ridley/Parris Campbell.... in that order.  Isabella is definitely a possibility at 40 but I like your idea of moving back up in the 2nd and using 40 maybe on best Defense available 

I would be flexible to using 40 on something else like an Olineman or a DT like Simmons or Lawrence . But the main 2 guys for me it's Hock and Isabella. Foster, Duke & Zay will fight it out for the other outside spot in the future. 

If Josh Allen can develop into a franchise type QB, it will help tremendously in the recruiting of free agents to Buffalo, including skill position players.  Unfortunately, this is a bit of a chicken or the egg problem in that Allen's success likely will be in large part dependent on having a strong group of WRs, RBs and offensive lineman.  As we approach the beginning of the free agency period, I will be happy if we sign some quality o-linemen (such as Daryl Williams and Mitch Morse), TE (such as Jesse James) and at least one veteran WR.  We need these types of building blocks to move forward on offense and then we can add at least one WR, RB and OG in the draft.  It would, at least, be a good start to fixing the offense and the Bills potentially becoming a more desirable destination for free agents in at least one of the categories that seems to matter (among others, including money), which is a having a young QB with potential to develop into a franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I would be flexible to using 40 on something else like an Olineman or a DT like Simmons or Lawrence . But the main 2 guys for me it's Hock and Isabella. Foster, Duke & Zay will fight it out for the other outside spot in the future. 

For sure...  

i liked seeing AJ at the combine. He was quicker and faster than most expected him to be. Doubt he’s there at 40.

I was at the senior bowl and saw Isabella and Samuels close up. Both have big legs, strong lower bodies. Samuels was a little bigger. Has bigger hands, is fast toasted Rock Ya Sin a few times who was the senior bowls top CB.  Samuels is about 15-20 lbs heavier than Isabella. That’s why I lean towards Deebo. I’d be fine with either. If we could move back up between 50-65 and land any of these guys I’d be stoked.

Ive been saying all along I think 5 of the first 10 picks in round 2 will be WRs

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan1988 said:

The way I see it we dodged a major bullet by failing to get the AB trade made . But what did we learn from this debacle? For me it's not exactly what I learned but what I want to double down on. It's the fact that we are the Buffalo Bills and skill set players don't want to be here. There's plenty of reasons for this but the most important is we don't have a solidified franchise QB and we've been losing for so long . So what do we do about this?

The way I look at it the most important thing we need to do this offseason is get some major upgrades at the skill set positions for Josh Allen . The #1 objective entering free agency is to get the offensive line fixed. Add 2 or 3 players spend money . We don't need to have the best offensive line in football we just need to have a good line ranked somewhere between 10th and 15th best in the league.  By getting the O-line in order we can turn our attention to the defensive side of the ball and add a few complementary pieces for last yrs #2 ranked D. 

The Clear Path in This Draft

To me it's simple the draft is talking to us and we have to be able to understand what it's saying and take advantage.  

#1 TJ Hockenson- TJ would be a great addition to this team and the city of Buffalo.  This kid plays like u would want a Bills TE to play . He's physical can pancake DEs and LBers in the run game but what makes him special is that he's equally as good in the passing gm and will be a mismatch for any one trying to cover him.  TJ plays with high intensity and energy and I can see this kid growing into a fierce leader for our team moving forward. Plus I can envision jersey sales threw the roof because he will grow into a fan favorite.  TJ is a no brainer selection and if we don't take him he'll be selected soon after us . 

Rd #2  take 2 Wrs 

#40 - the value here is at the outside WR spot draft anyone of these 4 guys Hakeem , Harry, Harmon or Ridley  . 1 of these 4 are sure to be here . All 4 of these players are capable of being good to great players . They all have size , speed and route running abilities to be difference makers  for the position . 

Next move get our Slot Wr Trade bk into late 2nd rd give up our 3rd, 4th & 5th to get this done and draft Andy Isabella.  Andy is gonna be a great player in this league mark my words . Matter of fact I think he can be AB type player . This kid has some serious agility in open space and will be a nightmare for opposing slot corners. Plus he can burn at 4.31 speed that's a really dangerous combo. 

We come out the draft with these 3 players we can really be in position to put together a great offense going into the future.  These players will grow with Allen to be force and the fact that there home grown talents it will be easier to keep them here when they become available in free agency.  

Now we have competition at Wr

Zay

Foster

Duke

Rookie outside Wr

Isabella

TJ Hock 

I realize this is a very young WR core so we should just add 1 veteran via free agency to lead the WR room a guy that can be a good leader for these kids.  Also with a young core like this there will be some growing pains so with the addition of a veteran WR he can start to begin the season with Zay and Foster.  Maybe we can sign Donte Moncreif to fill that role . Having 3 guys that can play will be pivotal to the development of the 2 rookies we have on the bench as it will not put pressure on them to play right away and they can develop properly by playing sparingly rotating in with these other wrs . U don't want 2 rookie wrs on the field at the same time because they just don't have the experience to read defenses adjust there routes and be on the same page as Allen . I believe a plan like this benefits us for now and mostly for the future of this team.  Plus we still have pks in the 4th, 5th, 6th and 2 7s to add more talent to other positions on this team. 

Last but not least we won't fix all our holes in this one offseason but with this plan we start the building of a core on offense leading into Allen 2nd yr which is pivotal . Let all these kids build something together grow and build relationships together as home grown talents something we can identify as our own. 

It was not a debacle and continuing to say so just makes Bills fans look desperate and pathetic

• Like (+1) 3

From what I understand: The Bills inquired about a trade for Antonio Brown. After communicating with the Steelers and Brown's agent, they decided it was in their best interests not to pursue the trade. End of trade discussions.

Not much of a debacle. Seems more like due diligence on the part of Beane - doing what he should be doing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Agree, free agency is stronger in OL than the skill positions so spend there. Would love to get 2 top vets, I think it's worth the $ we would have to spend.  No need to overspend on average WR's, but let the market settle after a couple days and grab a vet for a reasonable price.  Then definitely draft multiple skill positions early in the draft.  Not sure if the value is there yet at #9, but would love to trade down to the mid teens and grab an extra 2nd.  Take Hock there.  (Obviously need a partner)  Even if that doesn't happen, invest in 2 WR early.  One in the 2nd round, the other no later than the 4th, maybe the 3rd depending who's there.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I look at it as a debacle another unnecessary embarrassment for the city of Buffalo.  Let's agree to disagree on that . One thing is for sure I believe we dodged a major bullet and I rather build with our own guys build our own image. 

I don’t understand how this can be seen as an embarrassment for the city of Buffalo, or even the Bills. We kicked the tires, didn’t like the available terms and moved on. That’s life, no big deal. If you think it’s because some idiot didn’t think much of us, that may actually be a good thing, because the whole world knows what a moron he is. I’d have to try very hard to tolerate him for his talent if we did/do wind up with him. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t understand how this can be seen as an embarrassment for the city of Buffalo, or even the Bills. We kicked the tires, didn’t like the available terms and moved on. That’s life, no big deal. If you think it’s because some idiot didn’t think much of us, that may actually be a good thing, because the whole world knows what a moron he is. I’d have to try very hard to tolerate him for his talent if we did/do wind up with him. 

100% agree. This could have gone bad. Kicking the tires shows they are leaving no stone unturned. Not pulling the trigger shows they are not being too hasty. 

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

For sure...  

i liked seeing AJ at the combine. He was quicker and faster than most expected him to be. Doubt he’s there at 40.

I was at the senior bowl and saw Isabella and Samuels close up. Both have big legs, strong lower bodies. Samuels was a little bigger. Has bigger hands, is fast toasted Rock Ya Sin a few times who was the senior bowls top CB.  Samuels is about 15-20 lbs heavier than Isabella. That’s why I lean towards Deebo. I’d be fine with either. If we could move back up between 50-65 and land any of these guys I’d be stoked.

Ive been saying all along I think 5 of the first 10 picks in round 2 will be WRs

Deebo is very impressive also reminds me alot of Landry. But Andy he has that speed and wiggle in his routes that's nearly unguardable. The reason why I compare him to AB is because of those skill sets he has.