Antonio Brown trade may be happening today, announcing team soon: UPDATE: TRADED to Raiders

11 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Am watching Carruci on Sports Talk right now.  According to Vic, talks btwn Bills & Steelers began Tuesday and went on thru Thursday, at watch point Beane walked away because he didn’t feel comfortable with Brown’s contract demands.  After talks fell apart, Rappaport erroneously reported that a deal was imminent - he apparently wanted to be first, rather than right.  Beane would have preferred to keep it quiet, but Rappaport blew it.

Beane didn’t feel comfortable with the money demands because we’ve got a bunch of good young players here and, you bring in a guy like AB for all that money, the young guys are going to see his “me first” attitude and start acting the same way.  Essentially, Brown would be a cancer in the locker room.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Brown never said he wouldn’t report to Buffalo.  That was just more speculation and bad reporting.  If his contract demands were met, he would have reported on time, probably with a cup of Tim Horton’s in his hand, and had wings for lunch.

I’m still glad he went with the Raiders.

Imo it was a deal they maybe would have done if the risk was lower on the guaranteed money. The probably wanted to give it a chance given his talent and give him the benefit of the doubt that maybe it was the environment in Pittsburgh that was the catalyst and he could be ok here... but so much risk involved with his recent behavior.  Giving that much money to him on the surface is ok - it’s the other stuff, the reason the Steelers and anyone else wouldn’t give it to him - that was the issue with the guaranteed money. The ESPN reporter from Pittsburgh said the team truly. believes that he’s become unstable. He may be worth taking a risk on but it has to be a calculated risk. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

But if he knew brown would wreck the locker room why engage, talk contract and disengage. It seems there’s some storyline being created that may be slightly overstepping 

I don’t think knew that for sure ... he didn’t want to take all the media stuff at face value and and wanted to talk to him about the situation first and then decide if it was worth the risk, but based on the post-Mortem articles from Breer and Carucci it never got that far.

11 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

How much extra money was the tipping point for losing the locker room? Like beane could guarantee 1.33 years and add 2m per but if he did 1.75 years and 4m extra the young guys would get the wrong message?

heck, it’s basically Sammy Watkins contract. On some level if you want a passing game we are going to have to get used to seeing big numbers for guys that may have some warts on their resume. 

I tried to summarize what Carruci said, but there was more.  There was a kind of ‘see-saw’ thing going on - in which, the higher Brown’s demands, the less the Bills were willing to give the Steelers.

I think Brown’s character was also considered - the whole quitting on the team during a playoff race, complaining about not getting the ball, throwing his QB ‘under the bus’, etc.

As Beane commented, in the end the deal just didn’t make sense for either team.

Edited by The Senator

3 minutes ago, The Senator said:

I tried to summarize what Carruci said, but there was more.  There was a kind of ‘see-saw thing going on - in which, the higher Brown’s demands, the less the Bills were willing to give the Steelers.

I think Brown’s character was also considered - the whole quitting on the team during a playoff race, complaining about not getting the ball, throwing his QB ‘under the bus’, etc.

As Beane commented, in the end the deal just didn’t make sense for either team.

The bottom line is that they kicked the tires on acquiring him but moved on. As did Redskins, Titans, saints, eagles and maybe others. Many times you never hear about the trades that don’t go through. In this case it was such a huge storyline someone pulled the trigger too quickly on telling rapaport and it got put out there.  You never heard a peep from Schefter the whole time rapaport was out there talking about it and the local guys reported it wasn’t even close. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I have been to Vegas a bunch......and I know ppl that live there.

People who  live in Vegas live there for work purposes (in my experience) it is not a retirement type place.......and as you said it is out in the middle of the desert.   The tax situation is legit as another has posted.....but they dont even know if Vegas will even support a NFL team when a place like Los Angeles actually had trouble in the past.

The Raiders are in turmoil......and Brown will never win there but if it just to get his paycheck then he has accomplished that.

Buffalo's team situation is much better......our D is good and we just need to fix our O

Vegas is a huge retirement place, actually. Go out toward Summerlin. When my MIL (& step-FIL) moved there over 20 years ago, it was because there was a large retirement-age crowd - the lack of humidity was great for aging joints (the humidity in the summer has crawled up due to all the pools and people, but in the winter there is still almost no humidity). 

I will say it has gotten insane there in the last 15+ years traffic-wise. The housing crash settled things down a bit, but the last few years people have moved there in droves. Why? No idea. The desert does not appeal to me, the weather absolutely sucks, and at some point, the water runs out, but a lot of people absolutely love it. 

Will Vegas support an NFL team? Right now the general population is hyped up about it. When the team has a shiny new feel to it I think it will do well. If the team falters and delivers a few sucky seasons? All bets are off. 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Am watching Carruci on Sports Talk right now.  According to Vic, talks btwn Bills & Steelers began Tuesday and went on thru Thursday, at watch point Beane walked away because he didn’t feel comfortable with Brown’s contract demands.  After talks fell apart, Rappaport erroneously reported that a deal was imminent - he apparently wanted to be first, rather than right.  Beane would have preferred to keep it quiet, but Rappaport blew it.

Beane didn’t feel comfortable with the money demands because we’ve got a bunch of good young players here and, you bring in a guy like AB for all that money, the young guys are going to see his “me first” attitude and start acting the same way.  Essentially, Brown would be a cancer in the locker room.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Brown never said he wouldn’t report to Buffalo.  That was just more speculation and bad reporting.  If his contract demands were met, he would have reported on time, probably with a cup of Tim Horton’s in his hand, and had wings for lunch.

I’m still glad he went with the Raiders.

Thank you for this post - finally some fact instead of the "hate McBeane" crowd spewing HS!

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

But if he knew brown would wreck the locker room why engage, talk contract and disengage. It seems there’s some storyline being created that may be slightly overstepping 

Because they knew he had a reputation as a hard worker and to talk to him and figure out if it worked you have to start the process.

This is what GMs should do.  People need to quit acting crazy about a GM doing his job.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

With AB Steelers won no Super Bowls and appeared in only one., 2010 rookie season.  This with a future HOFer at QB and one of best runners in NFL.  

So unclear to me how A B could save Bills or Raiders 

So let’s see would AB improved a Historically BAD offense last year. Easy answer is yes. 

So so now tell me how they are “Better” without him right now again?

33 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

How much extra money was the tipping point for losing the locker room? Like beane could guarantee 1.33 years and add 2m per but if he did 1.75 years and 4m extra the young guys would get the wrong message?

heck, it’s basically Sammy Watkins contract. On some level if you want a passing game we are going to have to get used to seeing big numbers for guys that may have some warts on their resume. 

Why’d he even start the talks then?

Why not!!!!

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So let’s see would AB improved a Historically BAD offense last year. Easy answer is yes. 

So so now tell me how they are “Better” without him right now again?

They are better in the long term without him; I lost no sleep not getting AB, try Sominex!

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Because they knew he had a reputation as a hard worker and to talk to him and figure out if it worked you have to start the process.

This is what GMs should do.  People need to quit acting crazy about a GM doing his job.

This board gets nuttier by the hour!

1 minute ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

I'm willing to let this go as well. The bigger question is on Beane and McDermott on how he is going to make this team good again. That is the  question and waiting answer for now.

Probably not going to happen in the next five minutes as you prefer so no happy meal for now; but I have confidence this team is moving in the right direction.  Good luck to AB! Now let's get back to building a winning organization!

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

I'm willing to let this go as well. The bigger question is on Beane and McDermott on how he is going to make this team good again. That is the  question and waiting answer for now.

They are going to make the best decisions they can make on players and coaches.  They make the right ones they'll be successful and if not the next group will get their shot.  

5 minutes ago, vorpma said:

They are better in the long term without him; I lost no sleep not getting AB, try Sominex!

Probably not going to happen in the next five minutes as you prefer so no happy meal for now; but I have confidence this team is moving in the right direction.  Good luck to AB! Now let's get back to building a winning organization!

I know not next 5 minutes. Just saying future thing to look at. Progress. Key word.

Just now, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

I know not next 5 minutes. Just saying future thing to look at. Progress. Key word.

OK, now we are talking, I could not agree more; progress is needed in 2019. But throwing big money at fading superstars is not the solution! 

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Explain how they are better in the long term without him?

now also explain to me how you have confidence in this Offense moving in the right direction. Because it has regressed in two years of this regime. 

Funny thing Unlike the Fans that think we are better without him. BRANDON BEANE didn’t think so. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The bottom line is that they kicked the tires on acquiring him but moved on. As did Redskins, Titans, saints, eagles and maybe others. Many times you never hear about the trades that don’t go through. In this case it was such a huge storyline someone pulled the trigger too quickly on telling rapaport and it got put out there.  You never heard a peep from Schefter the whole time rapaport was out there talking about it and the local guys reported it wasn’t even close. 

Yep.  I realize the knee-jerk reaction for a lot of Bills fans is to assume the Bills "got played" and AB "didn't want to come to Buffalo" but what it looks like to me is that our GM took a very measured, thoughtful approach to inquiring about a talent like AB and there were many factors that played into why they didn't pull the trigger.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Explain how they are better in the long term without him?

now also explain to me how you have confidence in this Offense moving in the right direction. Because it has regressed in two years of this regime. 

Funny thing Unlike the Fans that think we are better without him. BRANDON BEANE didn’t think so. 

I didn't say better without him. I'm more interested in Beane's and McDermott plan going forward. That process well see in the future,

• Like (+1) 1