Antonio Brown trade may be happening today, announcing team soon: UPDATE: TRADED to Raiders

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

You guys are having an interesting discussion, but I don't buy it.  

It's coach and QB.  That doesn't mean that's all you need, but those are the only two things you MUST have.  The rest is coaching and creativity.  Look at Belichick and Gronk.  Belichick figured out he could attack with a tight end if he had the right one. But you don't need a great tight end to win.  If you have a good one he dictates some of your [offense, but you don't need one. 

Yes, there are trends, but all the good coaches, pretty much all the coaches, follow the trends.  That doesn't make them winners.  

I agree you need some basic level of talent, but beyond LT the talent can be spread around the lineup in any number of ways.  McBeane obviously wanted talent at MLB, and that isn't a position you guys named. A good center helps.  Shutdown corner, sure, but not essential.  Get a Palomalu, you can do some special things.  

Again, look at Belichick.  Shutdown corner is about the only position he seems to covet; everything else he just wants good ordinary football players who do their jobs.  

Give me a coach and a QB.  So long as the coach has decent talent spread around the roster, he should be able to figure out how to win.  If he cant, he isnt the right coach. 

I agree with the bolded. If you don't have a QB and coach, nothing else matters. The following sentence you wrote: "that doesn't mean that's all you need", that's where this discussion comes in. What ELSE do you need to give the coach and QB a better chance at sustained success? 

I'm not convinced that once you get the coach and QB, you're ready to roll. If you want a shot at multiple titles with your coach/QB combo, you'd better have some more around them.

Dan Fouts and Don Coryell = 0 championships

Dan Marino and Don Shula = 0 championships

Philip Rivers and multiple coaches, including Marty Schottenheimer = 0 championships

Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy = 1 championship

In three out of the four instances mentioned above, defense was usually lacking. So we know that that's a need as well.

Simplified, I would say that a coach, QB, and at least reasonably good defense gives you a shot every year. We also know, as discussed, that you've got to protect the QB. I don't think his weaponry is as important. If you have a truly excellent QB, he'll make do with average to slightly above average receivers. You probably can't consistently roll out a WR/TE depth chart as bad as what the Bills had last year. But even that, with better protection, might have been sufficient. As it was, we saw the Bills averaging nearly 24 points per game by the end of the season.

This is what's so interesting about football: There isn't just one right answer. I mean, yes, "coach and QB". But after that? Teams have done it lots of different ways, and the ongoing strategic evolution discussed in earlier posts means the roster building strategy is always changing.

Doug Whaley once made a quote that I wish I could remember in its entirety, because I liked it. It was something along the lines of: Beyond QB, you need and can afford to pay about 6-8 high quality, important players. Where you spend those dollars and on what positions is up to you. I'd say the Bills have some of their 6-8 already. Tre'Davious White, Matt Milano, Tremaine Edmunds, Dion Dawkins. More are needed, obviously, so it's a critical offseason, as everybody already knows.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

He was good enough for Bills to trade often injured Glenn who was very good to healthy.  

It is real interesting if he ends up cut.

Yes, he WAS. Then he sucked last season.  Not all his fault, but you can’t say he looked like a cornerstone LT last season.  You just can’t.  

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yes, he WAS. Then he sucked last season.  Not all his fault, but you can’t say he looked like a cornerstone LT last season.  You just can’t.  

He looked like a cornerstone LT last season.

see how easy that was?

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

He did not suck last season.  He was average.  Losing Richie next to him hurt.

I thought he was bad.  I'm not sure he's our LT going forward, unfortunately.  Hope he turns it around.

2 hours ago, nucci said:

Why,  these comments about wanting players hurt because they don't love Buffalo the way you do are ridiculous.

It wasnt about Buffalo. I was talking about he is doing to Pitt. He agreed to a contract and it still has 3 yrs left on it. Forcing a situation in which he gets traded puts Pitt in a bad spot. It is about one player impacting a whole team because he is selfish. Going on Instagram saying he is going to announce his new team is making it seem like this is the AB show. You can flame me if you want but him being out of the game for a while not by his choosing may humble him a bit. 

I heard someone on the radio yesterday saying he was where AB was supposed to be filming something. AB announced he had to go to the bathroom, so they said they would show him to the private restroom. He said “no, I have to go home.” Apparently;y, the private restroom wasn’t acceptable and everyone had to wait for him to go home and come back. Odd dude and all about AB. 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

I heard someone on the radio yesterday saying he was where AB was supposed to be filming something. AB announced he had to go to the bathroom, so they said they would show him to the private restroom. He said “no, I have to go home.” Apparently;y, the private restroom wasn’t acceptable and everyone had to wait for him to go home and come back. Odd dude and all about AB. 

Hey, don't mock a dude for having a shy pisser.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

Story is believable to me based on what i have heard about him being a diva- not a process guy at all.

7 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Well, it did hurt. His penalties doubled without Ritchie next to him last year.

Not condoning his play, he needs to improve. But it did hurt him

The good LTs don’t need “help” beside them to function.  That’s a cop out for his poor play.  

37 minutes ago, Augie said:

I only drop deuces at home also... nothing odd about it...

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

The good LTs don’t need “help” beside them to function.  That’s a cop out for his poor play.  

Lol...ok. It's not a copout. I said his play needs to improve. And if you think for one second that a pro bowl G compared to a rookie 5th round draft pick didn't make his play drop off, you are fooling yourself. Again, I said he needs to improve. I'm not defending him, merely pointing out a fact.

FWIW pff has a grade of 69.5 on Dawkins, making him the 38th best OT in the league. Not LT....OT in general. Which is an above average grade

Edited by BuffAlone