Bills have interest in Seattle DE Frank Clark

To be honest, I think a swap of 1sts and either Shaq or Murphy seems reasonable.

If they don't want that, then a swap of 1sts and a 2nd round pick next year works for me, as well.

They're NOT just getting a 1st round pick outright, I don't believe.

I'd be fine with making this same deal for Clowney, by the way.

As for Gerald McCoy, the Bills should trade one of their 4th round picks and consider it a huge win.

Can you imagine a d-line of Hughes, Star, McCoy, and Clark?! With the "Philips Bros", Trent, and Harold as the rotational guys? Sounds incredible to me. It would also "finish" the d-line for the time being, allowing them to use their 9 draft picks this year to continue to build around Allen. 

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

Swap of picks AND a 2nd rd next year while the niners only gave up a future 2nd for Ford?  Meh.  That’s ridiculous imo.  The Seahawks can’t pay him and won’t be offered anything near a 12 spot swap AND a 2nd.  That’s basically giving up 2 2nd rd picks and paying him 20 mill a year.  Too many resources for a dude with an domestic abuse past.  I’d swap 1sts OR give them next years 2nd plus giving him a 20 mill a year contract.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Swap of picks AND a 2nd rd next year while the niners only gave up a future 2nd for Ford?  Meh.  That’s ridiculous imo.  The Seahawks can’t pay him and won’t be offered anything near a 12 spot swap AND a 2nd.  That’s basically giving up 2 2nd rd picks and paying him 20 mill a year.  Too many resources for a dude with an domestic abuse past.  I’d swap 1sts OR give them next years 2nd plus giving him a 20 mill a year contract.  

....good assessment bud....looks like 'Hawks are up against it....not even sure if his "calling card" fits McDermott's process.....FWIW, not sure if I se McBeane investing "draft capital and $20 mil/yr" in one player....BTW, what do you think about a two year extension for Hughes in the mid-teens annually?.....he has cleaned up his penalties and has stepped up his game...the "stat rats" are against it solely based on sack stats which is not sequitur IMO....guy has value....

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Fair enough. I certainly understand this point of view.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe there hasn't been a single negative blip on his radar since he was drafted. The Seahawks tout his exemplary behavior and leadership. I also happen to be in the camp that thinks he's a top 5 edge rusher in this league.

To give up essentially two 2nd round picks for a 25-year-old, top 5 edge rusher? I'm totally fine with that. As for the pay, well...we can afford it. That's the flexibility that a rookie QB window gives you.

13 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....good assessment bud....looks like 'Hawks are up against it....not even sure if his "calling card" fits McDermott's process.....FWIW, not sure if I se McBeane investing "draft capital and $20 mil/yr" in one player....BTW, what do you think about a two year extension for Hughes in the mid-teens annually?.....he has cleaned up his penalties and has stepped up his game...the "stat rats" are against it solely based on sack stats which is not sequitur IMO....guy has value....

Jerry is my favorite player.  No question we should extend him imo.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Considering he has to be given a new contract, one they can’t give, I don’t see how they think they have the leverage. 

Plus, isn’t he a suspension waiting to happen?

Seattle definitely does not have the leverage here. I think he can be had for a 2nd or a 3rd and a player like Shaq or Murphy. 

No way we give a 1st and then turn around and make him one of the Highest payed players in the league. Crazy thought. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

Fair enough. I certainly understand this point of view.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe there hasn't been a single negative blip on his radar since he was drafted. The Seahawks tout his exemplary behavior and leadership. I also happen to be in the camp that thinks he's a top 5 edge rusher in this league.

To give up essentially two 2nd round picks for a 25-year-old, top 5 edge rusher? I'm totally fine with that. As for the pay, well...we can afford it. That's the flexibility that a rookie QB window gives you.

If Seattle wasn’t in its current position, I may agree with this.  I just don’t think there’s a chance that they extend him or let him go after the season and get nothing.  They could franchise him again I suppose, but Wagners contract will be up then and he’ll probably be the highest paid LB (non edge rusher) in the league.

If they’re smart, they move him and get something for him. I just don’t think anyone is going to be paying 2 2nd rd picks and 20 mill a year in salary for him.  He could very well be worth the picks and salary, I just think we can get him for less

59 minutes ago, Logic said:

To be honest, I think a swap of 1sts and either Shaq or Murphy seems reasonable.

If they don't want that, then a swap of 1sts and a 2nd round pick next year works for me, as well.

They're NOT just getting a 1st round pick outright, I don't believe.

I'd be fine with making this same deal for Clowney, by the way.

As for Gerald McCoy, the Bills should trade one of their 4th round picks and consider it a huge win.

Can you imagine a d-line of Hughes, Star, McCoy, and Clark?! With the "Philips Bros", Trent, and Harold as the rotational guys? Sounds incredible to me. It would also "finish" the d-line for the time being, allowing them to use their 9 draft picks this year to continue to build around Allen. 

Don't they want a 2nd for McCoy?  

Other than that, considering we have the money for both, it's a pretty novel idea.  I'd be willing to swap 1sts for Clark.  We could still trade up to the middle of the 1st for a TE, OT, OLB.

And that's the crazy thing.  If we made those trades, we'd really only need those 3 positions, which we have more than enough ammo to get.  Our defensive line would be amazing.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Jerry is my favorite player.  No question we should extend him imo.  

...if he did not clean up his dumb penalties and did not step up his game, I'd be hesitant....but he has done so on BOTH accounts, so how do you NOT reward him?.....will readily admit I'm probably "not the brightest bulb in the lighting store", but aren't their instances where you work hard to keep you own versus thinking the "grass MUST be greener on the other side"?......perhaps.....

14 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if he did not clean up his dumb penalties and did not step up his game, I'd be hesitant....but he has done so on BOTH accounts, so how do you NOT reward him?.....will readily admit I'm probably "not the brightest bulb in the lighting store", but aren't their instances where you work hard to keep you own versus thinking the "grass MUST be greener on the other side"?......perhaps.....

I think his immediate extension could be tied to how this draft and the rest of the offseason plays out.  If they don’t add a potential anchor pass rusher, it’s a no brainer to extend him.  The question is, how many years is he looking for.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think his immediate extension could be tied to how this draft and the rest of the offseason plays out.  If they don’t add a potential anchor pass rusher, it’s a no brainer to extend him.  The question is, how many years is he looking for.

....good call...think 2 years is fair.....

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Indeed.

That, and the Beane-Gaine relationship, are why I'd expect a deal for Clowney before I'd expect one for Clark.

I think it's easier to see that fit. 

With Beane and Gaine's relationship they could probably negotiate and keep it under wraps.

And Clowney is a small town guy and despite the opportunity for unearned fame created by his college stardom he has not been a big self promoter.    Team first guy.

Also his cousin is Anthony Johnson the UB receiver in this draft so he has a family member who has lived and played in the area.

I think its Clark or Clowney if the elite defenders are gone.  I would offer swapping 1s maybe throw in one of the extra day 3 picks.  I think Clowney is a better match with Hughes.  I think Hughes and Clark are similar players.  Clowney brings more Power and can help sure up the run defense.  Once he is out of Watts shadow and can get more control of where and who he lines up against on pass rushing situations his numbers will sky rocket.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Don't they want a 2nd for McCoy?  

Other than that, considering we have the money for both, it's a pretty novel idea.  I'd be willing to swap 1sts for Clark.  We could still trade up to the middle of the 1st for a TE, OT, OLB.

And that's the crazy thing.  If we made those trades, we'd really only need those 3 positions, which we have more than enough ammo to get.  Our defensive line would be amazing.

They have asked for a 2nd, yes. The reports I have read seem to indicate that there are zero teams willing to give that up for McCoy. Given his age and given Tampa Bay's downright bizarre infatuation with trading him, I feel like the earlier of the Bills' two 4th round picks could get the job done. I have no way of knowing this for sure, of course.

Arians of TB literally stated that McCoy has lost a step of his disruptive play. We have seen many times how a change of scenery can help a player rediscover his game. McDermott knows him well from game planning against him.

28 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Arians of TB literally stated that McCoy has lost a step of his disruptive play. We have seen many times how a change of scenery can help a player rediscover his game. McDermott knows him well from game planning against him.

When did he game plan against the TB defence?