Bills have interest in Seattle DE Frank Clark

41 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...so you're opposed to a nice two year extension?......

Yes because poor production in this style defense.  He's a speed rusher for a wide 9 or a linebacker in a 34. He's a fifteen sack guy in right scheme.  Jim Schwartz or Mike pettine he's more valuable to them than us because of what he'll produce in those schemes. Beano won't invest what Jerry is worth in this scheme. 

5 minutes ago, Rufridr101 said:

Yes because poor production in this style defense.  He's a speed rusher for a wide 9 or a linebacker in a 34. He's a fifteen sack guy in right scheme.  Jim Schwartz or Mike pettine he's more valuable to them than us because of what he'll produce in those schemes. Beano won't invest what Jerry is worth in this scheme. 

...what do you think Hughes would be looking for from McBeane as far as dollars?...mid-teens?.......if so, is he worth it?.......he has cleaned up his dumb penalties and is playing at a higher level IMO.............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, wppete said:

No way Beane gives up a 1st round pick for Clark. Maybe a second and Shaq or Trent Murphy and that is a lot. 

That’s a lot for a game changing d-end?

Ummm, OK.

He would be the best d-end in a Bills uniform since Bruce Smith.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

https://www.profootballhof.com/football-history/trick-or-trade/

TRADED

Greg Bell, RB

No. 1 – 1988

No. 1 – 1989

No. 2 – 1989

RECEIVED

Rights to Cornelius Bennett, LB

Bennett then agreed to a five-year deal worth $4 million, including a bonus of $1.5 milllion--the highest (at that time) for an OLB.

At the time,  Bennett was supposed to be the second coming of Lawrence Taylor.

That's to say even better than Khalil Mack.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Rufridr101 said:

So basically you look at the number of sacks to determine a defensive ends productivity. Who cares about all the qb pressures and hits he gets

15 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Right now I’d swap 1sts with Seattle and give them our 2nd rounder. 

Right now Seattle has advantage but wait to the franchise tender deadline, i'll not be surprised if he is traded for  a three or four during draft

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

CF466CFB-85B6-428A-830E-502AF620674C.jpeg.70d20d4569e42a3f49c89344283c127a.jpeg

Yeah I saw it.    I like Frank Clark and he fits the payroll right, IMO.   I want to pay NOW for impact because if all goes well the Bills will have 3 stud former 1st rounders to re-up for around $70M in cap space over 2020-2021.   

But Seattle drafted him at a discount though because of his character issues and the general belief league wide is more money only exposes more of what your nature is.    So there is going to be concern over his character issues re-surfacing.   I think they have to in-turn deal him at a discount.   Can't see anyone giving them a first or even a 10 pick swap of firsts.    And those cheap rookie contracts are a valuable commodity to teams with $35M QB's so I expect they will take what they can get.

In short acquiring him involves:

1) Draft pick compensation

2) Gotta' negotiate a new deal under gun for approx $20M per year for 5 years

3) Risk.   Use maybe your "1" bad character exemption on him and worry about him becoming a problem.

That's a lot to digest for a draft week trade.

16 minutes ago, Pbomb said:

So basically you look at the number of sacks to determine a defensive ends productivity. Who cares about all the qb pressures and hits he gets

Close but no cigar doesn't cut it in the not for long league.  Jerry doesn't posses the power to bull rush the tackle into the quarterback. It take leverage that comes from length.  I like Jerry just not in this defense.  

38 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

It won't take that much and if it does no deal. 

20 minutes ago, Rufridr101 said:

Close but no cigar doesn't cut it in the not for long league.  Jerry doesn't posses the power to bull rush the tackle into the quarterback. It take leverage that comes from length.  I like Jerry just not in this defense.  

It won't take that much and if it does no deal. 

So, you think we can do better drafting at 9 and in the second than we could with Seattle’s first and Clark?

I find that highly unlikely.

36 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah I saw it.    I like Frank Clark and he fits the payroll right, IMO.   I want to pay NOW for impact because if all goes well the Bills will have 3 stud former 1st rounders to re-up for around $70M in cap space over 2020-2021.   

But Seattle drafted him at a discount though because of his character issues and the general belief league wide is more money only exposes more of what your nature is.    So there is going to be concern over his character issues re-surfacing.   I think they have to in-turn deal him at a discount.   Can't see anyone giving them a first or even a 10 pick swap of firsts.    And those cheap rookie contracts are a valuable commodity to teams with $35M QB's so I expect they will take what they can get.

In short acquiring him involves:

1) Draft pick compensation

2) Gotta' negotiate a new deal under gun for approx $20M per year for 5 years

3) Risk.   Use maybe your "1" bad character exemption on him and worry about him becoming a problem.

That's a lot to digest for a draft week trade.

Indeed.

That, and the Beane-Gaine relationship, are why I'd expect a deal for Clowney before I'd expect one for Clark.

3 hours ago, Rufridr101 said:

They will not resign Hughes next year.  It's a swap of Hughes for Clark.  Plus maybe ziggy.  Hughes is a better player in a scheme he fits. 

Next year we loose Hughes with no return. 

I see your point about Hughes but I don't think any of us know what his worth is in Beane and McDermott's minds.

Getting "return" is not priority 1.  But if Hughes does leave in FA you could make an argument for a comp pick at least.

1 hour ago, Rufridr101 said:

Hughes has played the last few years with no other pressure being generated from the other side.

An aging meatball has also affected the DL in sack production.

I can make an argument that his sack numbers will increased by a better overall DL.

I don't see Hughes being traded away this year. 

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Absolutely not.  He can be had for our 2019 2d.  And if not, fuggetaboutit.  Seattle has little leverage here.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, mannc said:

Absolutely not.  He can be had for our 2019 2d.  And if not, fuggetaboutit.  Seattle has little leverage here.

Again, tell me.....what is the likely better scenario for the Bills landing talent....

Keeping both our first and second round picks OR

Having Frank Clark and Seattle’s first round pick?

I don’t think there should be any debate, to be quite honest.

Look back on what the Bears gave up to secure Mack. What Buffalo would be giving up to secure Clark would be peanuts.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

My main point is that I don’t think they will have to give up that much, because I doubt any other team will offer that much, which is essentially equivalent to a first round pick.  

I would make the trade for a swap of first rounders, but I doubt Seattle would do it because they need more picks, not just better ones.  I might also do it for a second and a fourth, which I think would get it done.  On the other hand I thought the Raiders would be lucky to get one first round pick for K Mack, so what do I know??

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

I know it is draft time and anything could happen, but what are the chances of Clark landing here? Gerald McCoy is intriguing as well...at 31, could he resurrect his game?

Both can be done.

Seattle is asking for first. we shall see about that : )