Bills have interest in Seattle DE Frank Clark

6 hours ago, wppete said:

How about we just sit at #9 and draft either Ed Oliver, Montez Sweat or Rashan Gary for some pass rush. Save our valuable draft picks and the valuable money we will save ($20m) and spend it JUDICIOUSLY as Beane says. 

I'm an anti-Gary guy, adding Clark with the others could make things scary for opposing offenses.

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So with Clark there isn't the Morgan connection and I like Clark a lot. Heath Farwell would also know him well. 

With th the Texans, their general manager Brian Gaine was here with the Bills under Brandon Beane. So there is a close relationship there and negotiations can probably be made quite easily becuase there is an element of trust. We also have John Butler on staff, and while he was the DB coach with the Texans, he would obviously know Clowney very well, would know his character in the locker room and see how he worked each day in practice. I do think Clowney would have a huge breakout in a 4-3 with much less responsibility. 

I'd take either one in a heartbeat. 

All fair points, and like I said Clowney is certainly young enough where his best football could still be ahead of him.  And if our staff feels our system gives him an opportunity to flourish, then great.  

Im always just a bit more uncomfortable betting big on potential when it comes to big trades like this because the cost is 2 fold...draft capital and contract size.  But I would certainly be excited if I learned Clowney was going to be a Bill even though I do think Clark has had a better start to their respective careers.  

And like I also said, if we can get Clowney for less draft capital, then that makes it more appealing to me.  And between the talk of Seattle wanting to get a lot more draft picks (making a swap of firsts less likely appealing to Seattle) and the points you made of the Bills-Houston connections, it does seem like Clowney is more plausible than Clark.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Are you ok with paying either of them $100+ million over 4 or 5 years?

Technically, it's a multi-billion dollar enterprise paying them, but the answer is yes. You want impact players? You pay them. Pretty simple.

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

I like that even better. we cannot put them all to good use !

i would send lawson and a 4th this year combined with a conditional 3rd next year? (spitballin here). but then getting oliver? change of pants will be needed...

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Technically, it's a multi-billion dollar enterprise paying them, but the answer is yes. You want impact players? You pay them. Pretty simple.

didn't we give mario a 100 mil. contract?

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Yep. And he compiled 43 sacks in 4 seasons. Not sure I get the point.

You got the QB on a rookie deal. THIS is when you strike.

i liked the mario signing and it was good til the coaching p'o'd him by dropping him into coverage then the divorce happened. my point though was,,,,

100 mil. and that was what? ...almost 10 years ago? i have no problem with paying clark that. clowney.....not so sure.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i liked the mario signing and it was good til the coaching p'o'd him by dropping him into coverage then the divorce happened. my point though was,,,,

100 mil. and that was what? ...almost 10 years ago? i have no problem with paying clark that. clowney.....not so sure.

Agreed and I think the distinction between Clark and Clowney has been duly noted by yourself and many posters. 

I would prefer Clark as well, but Clowney is really trending upwards and he's 26 years young. Compensation is obviously a major factor. It APPEARS as though Seattle is under the gun a bit more to deal Clark than Houston is to deal Clowney. That works in our favor if Clark is the preferred player. Houston has to pay Watt next year, but with his injury history, I'm not so sure they wouldn't just wait til next season to make that decision. I feel like Houston is in "blow me away with an offer" mode if they can afford his cap hit THIS year. Someone would have to feel me in on that detail.

Edited by LSHMEAB

17 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Agreed and I think the distinction between Clark and Clowney has been duly noted by yourself and many posters. 

I would prefer Clark as well, but Clowney is really trending upwards and he's 26 years young. Compensation is obviously a major factor. It APPEARS as though Seattle is under the gun a bit more to deal Clark than Houston is to deal Clowney. That works in our favor if Clark is the preferred player. Houston has to pay Watt next year, but with his injury history, I'm not so sure they wouldn't just wait til next season to make that decision. I feel like Houston is in "blow me away with an offer" mode.

i feel the same way. clowney was all that going into his draft, but it seems as though he's fetching watt's beers. i don't know his stats, but playing with watt you'd think he's be racking up sacks. anyhow, i'm not buying it. if we can't get clark, i'm all in on oliver and do whatever it takes to get bpa pass rusher some other way. the biggest need we have is pressure up the middle.  one thing we do know is that frazier's defensive probably will change as soon as his gray hair turns back to black. i'm hoping mc coach keeps the upper hand on the defense.

i trust these guys and can't wait to see how they wow me and i believe they will. i mean, who ever thought they'd do what they did in free agency? i trust the process and like i've said before, i do expect playoffs this year. however, i think next year is the year where they focus on getting a couple or a few  superstars to put us over the top.

it actually reminds me of how the team was built from 85-89. 

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sports news Buffalo are also the people who reported that there is a contract of 14 million per year on the table for Ansah. You guys want Ansah at 14 million over Clark or Clowney at 20 and draft pick compensation. I'd much rather Clark or Clowney. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Sports news Buffalo are also the people who reported that there is a contract of 14 million per year on the table for Ansah. You guys want Ansah at 14 million over Clark or Clowney at 20 and draft pick compensation. I'd much rather Clark or Clowney. 

Beane: Hi, John.  This is Brandon Beane.  I wanted to talk to you about a potential trade for Frank Clark.  I'm willing to offer you the 9th pick and our second 4th round pick for him and your first pick.

John Schneider: Wow.  That's very generous, Brandon.  Hold on one second.  <dials Frank Clark>  Frank, Brandon Beane from the Buffalo Bills has called me to ask about your services.

Frank:  I don't want to go to Buffalo.

John: Brandon, I'm sorry.  But, Frank won't agree to a trade to Buffalo.  What's that?  <to Frank> Frank, Brandon says he's willing to BEAT Demarcus Lawrence's deal by offering you 5 years, $120 million with $70 million guaranteed.

Frank: Man, I told you, I DON'T want to go to Buffalo.  I want to WIN!  I don't want to sit at home in January for the next 5 years!

Edited by Cornette's Commentary

10 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Beane: Hi, John.  This is Brandon Beane.  I wanted to talk to you about a potential trade for Frank Clark.  I'm willing to offer you the 9th pick and our second 4th round pick for him and your first pick.

John Schneider: Wow.  That's very generous, Brandon.  Hold on one second.  <dials Frank Clark>  Frank, Brandon Beane from the Buffalo Bills has called me to ask about your services.

John: Brandon, I'm sorry.  But, Frank won't agree to a trade to Buffalo.  What's that?  <to Frank> Frank, Brandon says he's willing to BEAT Demarcus Lawrence's deal by offering you 5 years, $120 million with $70 million guaranteed.

Frank: Man, I told you, I DON'T want to go to Buffalo.  I want to WIN!  I don't want to sit at home in January for the next 5 years!

Don't quit your day job! (Assuming you have one)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

tenor.gif