Bills have interest in Seattle DE Frank Clark

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Is there any actual buzz to this Clark trade yet or is this thread just people dreaming?  Serious question.  I’d love Clark personally.  

I accidentally “followed” it so got all these emails about new comments lol.  Came in thinking I’d at least see a recent link to Clark and Bills rumors and seems it’s just more what do scenarios.  

So curious, is there anything linking this up yet that’s recent?  Last week when I asked it was a no.  

Yes, there was new buzz tweeted by PFT last night that a trade for Clark was brewing. It was the first new post in the thread yesterday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, mannc said:

First, I disagree that our defense was "not very good last year."  They weren't dominant, but they were overall a very good unit that got worn down and had to compensate for a historically bad offense for most of the year.  

I'm actually OK with Beane using our first round pick on whoever he thinks is the best DL available there.  What I'm not OK with is burning our first two picks (plus probably another premium pick this year or next) on defense when we are completely devoid of offensive playmakers.   Go ahead and pick a DL at 9, but I want to see the next two picks used on WR, TE and/or RB.

i'm just not getting the "devoid of offensive play makers" stuff.  mcoy and gore are gonna give us a top 5 rushing attack.(whilst training a youngster or two.

brown/ beasley/ jones/duke and foster.  not to mention the oline additions.   we have a 2nd yr. qb, not tom brady.   i don't know how long you've been a fan but...

for years after years the bills have picked up one side of the team and the other screwed our season. i for one believe these guys are a bit smarter than that. we need to solidify the dline and get some pressure.

they need to stagger contracts. i expect playoffs this year but realistically believe next year will be the year where we go all in on a couple of superstars. trust the process foo!

6 hours ago, TOboy said:

Ummm...my preference is Ed Oliver at 9 (or Q Williams if he's somehow available), but I take issue with the bolded. The Bills defense was very good last year. Elite against the pass, and solid against the run. Not sure how you think they were not very good? 

With Kyle retiring, it would be nice to get a 3 technique who can rush the passer. I think that would help this defense, and potentially make them one of the best in the league. 

The defense was GOOD, but not great. They struggled getting to the QB and lack top end pass rushers. Hughes is a good player, but it's not enough. If they want to become VERY good, they need to get in the QB's mug and create more turnovers. It's really the name of the game in today's NFL. So while they are GOOD, they are aging and not great in terms of talented pass rushers, the most important aspect of a defense IMO.

I don't care if the pressure comes from a 3T DT or an edge. Gotta get to the QB! Losing Kyle isn't going to help.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

No, nickel defense is the base defense and Milano and Edmunds are perfect for that role. Both highly productive and studs. Sure grab a back up in the 5th otherwise, we’re good. 

what happened went Milano went down ... ?
i would like to see a gem found to develop beyond Special teams roles.

would not sleep on that position.
Who is Edmunds Back up ? 

Milanos ?

Lorax ?

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

The defense was GOOD, but not great. They struggled getting to the QB and lack top end pass rushers. Hughes is a good player, but it's not enough. If they want to become VERY good, they need to get in the QB's mug and create more turnovers. It's really the name of the game in today's NFL. So while they are GOOD, they are aging and not great in terms of talented pass rushers, the most important aspect of a defense IMO.

I don't care if the pressure comes from a 3T DT or an edge. Gotta get to the QB! Losing Kyle isn't going to help.

I think Frazier and McD like pressure up the middle that allows edge guys to do just that. Come off the edge as the qb is still backpedaling quickly.

If they have the run stuff game figured ? you gotta turn the wick up from the outside rush or stunts to consistently to dominate

12 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

what happened went Milano went down ... ?
i would like to see a gem found to develop beyond Special teams roles.

would not sleep on that position.
Who is Edmunds Back up ? 

Milanos ?

Lorax ?

I think Frazier and McD like pressure up the middle that allows edge guys to do just that. Come off the edge as the qb is still backpedaling quickly.

If they have the run stuff game figured ? you gotta turn the wick up from the outside rush or stunts to consistently to dominate

As I said, draft a player in the 4th or 5th round. Why would we invest a premium pick on a back up linebacker. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Yeah, I’d think Wilson contract extension means Clark is gonna be traded.  

So the question becomes what draft picks do you offer if you're Buffalo (and you're willing to give Clark a new deal)?  Seattle has lost leverage...

This almost makes too much sense for it not to happen.  The Bills have Josh's rookie deal for another couple of years so they can absorb a big cap hit for a couple of seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, eball said:

So the question becomes what draft picks do you offer if you're Buffalo (and you're willing to give Clark a new deal)?  Seattle has lost leverage...

This almost makes too much sense for it not to happen.  The Bills have Josh's rookie deal for another couple of years so they can absorb a big cap hit for a couple of seasons.

I'd swap 1st rd picks, maybe throw in a 5th rd too, that should be good enough 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

I'd swap 1st rd picks, maybe throw in a 5th rd too, that should be good enough 

If I'm Beane I want to keep #9...Oliver at 3-tech is a key piece for this defense.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, eball said:

If I'm Beane I want to keep #9...Oliver at 3-tech is a key piece for this defense.

I hear ya, but I don’t think Oliver lasts to pick 9... and if we trade back with Seattle we can still get Tillary

Edited by JaCrispy

58 minutes ago, eball said:

Clark is a premiere DE and 25.  Odds of Oliver (or any rookie) being as good as Clark are low as he is just that good and not easily replicated.  

Take the known elite player who is 25 over an unknown rookie who has better than a 50% chance to bust and even worse odds of being as good as Clark.

Then draft a DT on the trade down or in the 2nd, guys like Simmons, Tillery, etc.  

Swapping first round picks with Seattle would be something I would run to the phone to accept if I was Beane and Seattle offered it. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Seattle doesn’t have all that much leverage.  They still have to pay Bobby Wagner and they are right at the cap after signing Wilson.  Clark can force his way out if he plays hardball.  A 2nd probably gets it done.  Throw in Lawson if you have to.  Clark, Star, Q Williams/Oliver, and Hughes is a hell of a front 4.  For those clamoring for offensive weapons with 1st or 2nd round pick, how likely is it Allen is gonna be able to mesh with Beasley, Brown, and Kroft plus a highly drafted WR or TE in Year 1?

• Like (+1) 1