Bills have interest in Seattle DE Frank Clark

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Are the Seahawks just going to give us Frank Clark for free?  You’re talking about a historically bad offensive football team using all of its premium picks on defense.  Yes, it’s great that Beane shored up the o-line, but as of right now, we have zero offensive playmakers—not a single guy that opposing defenses fear.

The Bills defense was not very good last year. We need help on the DL and this draft has some very good prospects. In addition to getting several OLinemen, Beane also added WR talent which makes that group much stronger than in the past 3-4 years. We are lacking at the TE department but we should go BPA wherever we pick. 

You are throwing stones at others' recommendations but not making a suggestion of your own. You do realize that if you come out and recommend we draft Metcalf/Hockensen, you will open yourself to a reverse question of how to shore up a relatively wek DL. So, what ya got ?

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

The Bills defense was not very good last year. We need help on the DL and this draft has some very good prospects. In addition to getting several OLinemen, Beane also added WR talent which makes that group much stronger than in the past 3-4 years. We are lacking at the TE department but we should go BPA wherever we pick. 

You are throwing stones at others' recommendations but not making a suggestion of your own. You do realize that if you come out and recommend we draft Metcalf/Hockensen, you will open yourself to a reverse question of how to shore up a relatively wek DL. So, what ya got ?

Ummm...my preference is Ed Oliver at 9 (or Q Williams if he's somehow available), but I take issue with the bolded. The Bills defense was very good last year. Elite against the pass, and solid against the run. Not sure how you think they were not very good? 

With Kyle retiring, it would be nice to get a 3 technique who can rush the passer. I think that would help this defense, and potentially make them one of the best in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

First, I disagree that our defense was "not very good last year."  They weren't dominant, but they were overall a very good unit that got worn down and had to compensate for a historically bad offense for most of the year.  

I'm actually OK with Beane using our first round pick on whoever he thinks is the best DL available there.  What I'm not OK with is burning our first two picks (plus probably another premium pick this year or next) on defense when we are completely devoid of offensive playmakers.   Go ahead and pick a DL at 9, but I want to see the next two picks used on WR, TE and/or RB.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, TOboy said:

Ummm...my preference is Ed Oliver at 9 (or Q Williams if he's somehow available), but I take issue with the bolded. The Bills defense was very good last year. Elite against the pass, and solid against the run. Not sure how you think they were not very good? 

With Kyle retiring, it would be nice to get a 3 technique who can rush the passer. I think that would help this defense, and potentially make them one of the best in the league. 

17 minutes ago, mannc said:

First, I disagree that our defense was "not very good last year."  They weren't dominant, but they were overall a very good unit that got worn down and had to compensate for a historically bad offense for most of the year.  

Okay I will concede that "not very good" may have been too strong. But while they got better down the stretch, I still dont think they had the horsepower to hold the strong offenses. Plus, KyleW retired and Harrison Phillips is still an unknown. 

Given both sides of the argument, I still maintain that BPA is the way to go. We will have our choice of difference maker whether it is on D or O. If there is a pick valued equally, I would go D as they bust potential is lower. 

The Seahawks only have 4 picks in this draft.  They are looking to add 4 picks this is what the general manager has said.  I could see us giving a 3rd 4th 5th rounders this year and a 4th next year. Or maybe swap Hughes and Clark plus a 4th and 5th rounders. 

3 hours ago, bilzfancy said:

Wouldn't surprise me if the Bills and Seahawks do a deal, switch 1st rd picks +, and 5 yrs about 100 mil or thereabouts should get it done

Maybe the Seahawks would want to make this deal. It will allow them to draft their QB, once they decline Dangeruss offer. My questions would be if the Bills would want to do this and how would Jerry Hughes feel?

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

How do we fulfill @MJS dream of Oliver and Clark?     Trade the 2nd for Clark? 

Eh, I don't actually care much. I was just making the point that trading for Clark does not mean Beane won't still draft a defensive lineman.

I'm down for whatever the Bills end up doing. I don't watch college ball, so I don't know about these players other than how they perform at the combine and how they are projected by others. I watch some highlight videos too.

• Like (+1) 1

We resigned Phillips, we got Hughes and Star and Murphy and Lawson and Yarborough and Harold and H. Phillips. 

We're talking about drafting Oliver or Wilkins or Gary. On top of that we're trading for Clark. 

Just wondering? Is anybody concerned we've done nothing as far as our LB corps is concerned?

Is there any actual buzz to this Clark trade yet or is this thread just people dreaming?  Serious question.  I’d love Clark personally.  

I accidentally “followed” it so got all these emails about new comments lol.  Came in thinking I’d at least see a recent link to Clark and Bills rumors and seems it’s just more what do scenarios.  

So curious, is there anything linking this up yet that’s recent?  Last week when I asked it was a no.  

8 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

We resigned Phillips, we got Hughes and Star and Murphy and Lawson and Yarborough and Harold and H. Phillips. 

We're talking about drafting Oliver or Wilkins or Gary. On top of that we're trading for Clark. 

Just wondering? Is anybody concerned we've done nothing as far as our LB corps is concerned?

No, nickel defense is the base defense and Milano and Edmunds are perfect for that role. Both highly productive and studs. Sure grab a back up in the 5th otherwise, we’re good. 

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Is there any actual buzz to this Clark trade yet or is this thread just people dreaming?  Serious question.  I’d love Clark personally.  

I accidentally “followed” it so got all these emails about new comments lol.  Came in thinking I’d at least see a recent link to Clark and Bills rumors and seems it’s just more what do scenarios.  

So curious, is there anything linking this up yet that’s recent?  Last week when I asked it was a no.  

We'll know if there's smoke soon. Seattle is focused on Russ at the moment.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

We'll know if there's smoke soon. Seattle is focused on Russ at the moment.

So nothing then and this recent activity in this thread is mostly based on the hope the Russel Wilson saga gives us an opening?  Just making sure I understood correctly 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So nothing then and this recent activity in this thread is mostly based on the hope the Russel Wilson saga gives us an opening?  Just making sure I understood correctly 

I know that the issue with Russell Wilson has to be taken care of, but I'm of the belief that if Frank Clark gets traded,it will be during the draft.

Just my opinion.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mannc said:

Are the Seahawks just going to give us Frank Clark for free?  You’re talking about a historically bad offensive football team using all of its premium picks on defense.  Yes, it’s great that Beane shored up the o-line, but as of right now, we have zero offensive playmakers—not a single guy that opposing defenses fear.

Again, what does what you’re saying have to do with the other guy wanting to draft Oliver and trade for Frank Clark?

You think that offensive help can’t be had at other spots in the draft?

I mean, your response is as close to abysmal as can be.

4 hours ago, mannc said:

have they used all the premium picks on defense?  last I heard the draft is still about 10 days away. did you follow FA? seems a majority of those were offensive pick ups?

10 picks, one or two you can count on being defensive in the early rounds. hell, they may even go OL with the first pick? I trust beane, not the opinion of someone on the board who is clamoring about what they haven't done and really has no clue, just as I have no clue whether it'll be a heavy defensive draft, offensive or some of both? they may even draft a punter, who knows.

trust the process

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

I do think we need more depth, but most of the time we only field two linebackers anyway. We definitely need to find a replacement for Lorenzo eventually.

And I believe we will expend some draft picks on linebackers.