Bills have interest in Seattle DE Frank Clark

Some people seem to believe this wouldn't fit Beane's M.O.   I don't think that is clear and if you pick up what Beane says in his interviews, when you read in-between-the-lines it's clear that he values the "premium" positions.   He absolutely believes pass rushers fit that bill and I would bet dollars to donuts that he is looking into Clark.   Clark is a high end young pass rusher and if the Bills were to lock him up you would secure a key piece to the defensive puzzle for a number of years.    

Swap 1'st and add a 3rd and I think Seattle pulls the trigger.   They have to lock up R. Wilson and I think they are open to looking at offers for Clark.   

Just now, H2o said:

I'd send a 2019 2nd and 4th to Seattle for Clark. I'm not swapping from 9 though and I wouldn't ship out Lawson just yet. That's just my 2. 

me too.  Oliver and Clark would make our defense elite IMO.   Then focus rest of draft on offense

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, H2o said:

I'd send a 2019 2nd and 4th to Seattle for Clark. I'm not swapping from 9 though and I wouldn't ship out Lawson just yet. That's just my 2. 

Agreed.  This year's #9 can not be part of the deal.  But my goodness -- imagine a D line that adds Clark and Oliver, and realize the Bills have at least attempted to shore up the OL and provide Josh some weapons?  The D could be an absolute beast and the O should be much improved.  This suddenly becomes a team with the potential to make a deep playoff run if the cards fall correctly.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Trade 9 for Clark and 21. That’s the equivalent point value of pick 35. Throw in a 4th or lower if needed. At 21 you can get Fant or Metcalf or Cody Ford. Boom, problem solved

I love it. Get a stud pass rusher and still have picks in each of the first 3 rounds. If this is doable we should jump on it.

24 minutes ago, Pete said:

me too.  Oliver and Clark would make our defense elite IMO.   Then focus rest of draft on offense

Clark will make our D elite on its own...we should get him and swapping firsts is the least expensive way to do it.  Swap firsts and send one of our 5th round picks.  

We now have #21, #40, #74, and both 4th rounders still.

• Trade up from our 2nd to get back into the first...say Raiders at 27 giving them #40 and a 2020 3rd (or use our 2020 2nd instead if we want to trade a bit higher to get someone they covet)
  • Then trade up again from our 3rd and get back into the 2nd.  Trade 70, 112, and our other 5th to get back to mid 2nd round pick range
  • We now have picks at 21, 27, and a mid 2nd rounder
    • #21 - Draft Hockenson/Fant
    • #27 - Draft DT Simmons/Tillery
    • Mid 2nd - Draft WR Butler/Harry/Brown (or could go OL or RB)

Bills emerge with an Elite NFL DE in Clark, add elite TE prospect, one of the top DT prospects, and a high potential WR (or RB/OL).

Thats a home run IMO.  And better than staying put and taking Oliver at 9.  

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Clark will make our D elite on its own...we should get him and swapping firsts is the least expensive way to do it.  Swap firsts and send one of our 5th round picks.  

We now have #21, #40, #74, and both 4th rounders still.

• Trade up from our 2nd to get back into the first...say Raiders at 27 giving them #40 and a 2020 3rd (or use our 2020 2nd instead if we want to trade a bit higher to get someone they covet)
  • Then trade up again from our 3rd and get back into the 2nd.  Trade 70, 112, and our other 5th to get back to mid 2nd round pick range
  • We now have picks at 21, 27, and a mid 2nd rounder
    • #21 - Draft Hockenson/Fant
    • #27 - Draft DT Simmons/Tillery
    • Mid 2nd - Draft WR Butler/Harry/Brown (or could go OL or RB)

Bills emerge with an Elite NFL DE in Clark, add elite TE prospect, one of the top DT prospects, and a high potential WR (or RB/OL).

Thats a home run IMO.  And better than staying put and taking Oliver at 9.  

I like your ideas about the trades...but I am steering clear of Fant...dude has Zay Jones hands...and ditto on women beaters...meaning, I don’t think we should draft them, regardless how talented- just a bad look for the team.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1

I like Clark as a player and he is entering his prime  but I generally don’t like the idea of trading assets for a player and then also having to sign that player to a huge contract. Clark in his current contract is a great deal, but Clark making 18-20 mil per year is not a great deal. It is hard for any non qb to be a value making that type of money.

What are the odds Clark outperforms the mega contract? Slim chance as it is much more likely he underperforms the contract. Plus, Beane would be handing that mega $ to a player outside the organization and who knows how that plays in the locker room. It’s probably a better idea to reserve the mega contracts to signing your own guys, like Tre White. And the Bills would still have to give up a quality asset (1st or 2nd). That type of asset is likely to be a very good player on a very cheap contract. This type of trade should only be reserved for an aging team that is already a contender and you are trying to squeeze out another championship run. 

1 hour ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Yeah or swap 2nds this year and throw in a 2nd next year. Next year we have a boatload of cash for free agency so I can love with less picks next year, not this year.

Seahawks doesn't have a 2nd this year.  The only got a 1,3.4.5.