Can teams void a trade if a player refuses to report?

14 hours ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

This whole AB situation got me thinking.   What happens if the Bills pulled the trigger on Brown and traded for him, despite the fact that he said he wouldn’t report.

Once the trade is consummated, if a player refuses to report to the team that traded for him and sits out an entire season (a la Bell) can the team void the trade?  

If they can’t void the trade then it shows how players ultimately hold the power....not the GM or team.  

From what Sal said... the Bills were the ones that backed out of the deal because once they got word from AB's agent that there's a chance he might not report...the Bills didn't want the media frenzy. If the trade had went through & AB didn't show, then the Bills would have been screwed. They would have his rights...So if AB wanted to play in the NFL again, he'll have to report. 

The player doesn't have too much power in this sense... cause you don't make it to the NFL if you don't have a love for the game. Most players will not...just not show up. AB said he wouldn't to scare the Bills & it worked. But if Beane said screw it & still made the deal... I think AB would have reported, got fined, & it would have been a media dumpster fire for months at OBD. I think that was enough for the Bills to back out. Not saying the player had the power... but what team really want to go through all that???  Its a business...at the end of the day.

Edited by Scorp83
Typo

4 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

I think you may be right there, I can't really remember. Seems like it was so long ago

Yeah Dri Archer did that... the Bills owned his rights for 2 years... then released him. But that was so bad for him...no team picked him up again. Just a bad move on his part. He wasn't even establish in the league yet. 

6 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

With all this being said, didn’t Dri Archer do the same thing to us?

6 hours ago, MJS said:

Wasn't he just a waiver claim though?

Yeah Dri Archer did that... the Bills owned his rights for 2 years... then released him. But that was so bad for him...no team picked him up again. Just a bad move on his part. He wasn't even establish in the league yet

16 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Technically teams trade contracts - not players - so if a deal was made in good faith, then there would have to be a clause regarding alternate compensation or reversal.  I do not know how common that is. 

For any player who has manifested diva like traits, I would guess it's pretty common.  I would also guess that a conditional clause is also pretty common for players who have had certain kinds of injuries/health issues, that they have to be able to pass the new team's physical.

Edited by TigerJ

I believe if the negotiations had continued the Bills would have put a clause about him reporting by a certain date.  If not then the trade would have been void.  But why waste everyone's time if it looks like the player either will not report or would need to be talked in to reporting.  I didn't want him here so I am glad it fell through.  He's 31 and he is a cancer to the locker room.  Let's get players that want to be here and help bring a Super Bowl to Orchard Park.  

Edited by Mark92

On 3/8/2019 at 3:34 PM, BillyWhiteShows said:

This whole AB situation got me thinking.   What happens if the Bills pulled the trigger on Brown and traded for him, despite the fact that he said he wouldn’t report.

Once the trade is consummated, if a player refuses to report to the team that traded for him and sits out an entire season (a la Bell) can the team void the trade?  

If they can’t void the trade then it shows how players ultimately hold the power....not the GM or team.  

I'm pretty sure they can't as I remember when we traded for DT Darwin Walker and he failed to report we were stuck with him until we shipped him to the Bears.

• Like (+1) 1

i was   surprised  buffalo   was  even   thinking about   getting  such a  drama  Queen .    i   have no idea   what  buffalo was offering   and perhaps we  will never know .  That  being said ,   i  thought   what would  have  been   cool  or  call ABs   bluff   would  have  been  a    poison pill  type of trade.     Swap   7th  rounders  this  year          with a  conditional  pick  next  year of a     first or second   if  AB    showed and  performed.     AB    wouldnt  have  to   show   but i think  he would  have to  mail  in  his  10  million    dollar   cheque  for     deciding to retire.

7 minutes ago, singlezero said:

i was   surprised  buffalo   was  even   thinking about   getting  such a  drama  Queen .    i   have no idea   what  buffalo was offering   and perhaps we  will never know .  That  being said ,   i  thought   what would  have  been   cool  or  call ABs   bluff   would  have  been  a    poison pill  type of trade.     Swap   7th  rounders  this  year          with a  conditional  pick  next  year of a     first or second   if  AB    showed and  performed.     AB    wouldnt  have  to   show   but i think  he would  have to  mail  in  his  10  million    dollar   cheque  for     deciding to retire.

Your space bar is working.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/8/2019 at 4:42 PM, Misterbluesky said:

Great question.. I would GUESS every team has one of their attorneys review every contract..at least I would hope they would.

Yes but the guy who reviews contracts for Bills has not done a good job in past putting in clauses protecting the Bills.  He was NOT a baby dumped with bath water like the coaches, players and scouts.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Yes but the guy who reviews contracts for Bills has not done a good job in past putting in clauses protecting the Bills.  He was NOT a baby dumped with bath water like the coaches, players and scouts.

Wow..unreal when you 're dealing with tens of millions of dollars.Our last home purchase was around 200k,I made darn sure our attorney reviewed everything including tax evaluations with a fine tooth comb.

Sounds like some teams know how to get through loopholes and others don't?