Michael Bennett traded to Patriots

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:26 PM, GunnerBill said:

Cos they are right up against the cap and were gonna release him for nothing. Out of conference and off the books it makes sense. 

What makes this trade interesting is not why Philly made the deal but why the Pats made the deal. The Pats are probably the most analytical organization in the business. They make a lot of these small splash deals that usually work out for them. I'm not sure how much upside Bennett has left but odds are the Pats will get a benefit beyond what they paid for him. The Pats lose and give up a lot of players but they get enough in return to keep on track. You got to admire how smartly they run their operation. 

14 hours ago, JoeF said:

Would love to see Flowers on the Bills. 

Flowers had the third highest Defensive snap count for the Pats front 7 last year (739 and over 70% of plays) (Van Noy and Hightower had more)...Bennett won't replace that number.  Flowers can bring pressure and set the edge.  Frank Clark might be more dynamic but a rotation of Murphy, Hughes, Lawson, and Flowers and kicking Murphy or Lawson inside on 3rd and long looks pretty good. 

BTW, I think Murphy has a good year in 2019.  The second year after knee surgery is better than the first usually.  I know lots of folks are down on Murphy, but I think he produces good returns on the investment the Bills made in him.

i think he will too. i focused on him a lot last year and i'm really curious to know if he can be kicked to the inside with lorax at end. he could be pretty disruptive. of course i've been pounding the table for 2 edges in this draft. ( sweat and ximines ) and draft daniel wise dt in the 4th.  i kinda get the feeling that lawson is gonna be a trade piece for us somewhere along this offseason process. i just don't think he's good enough to be the main cog at end.

i'd actually rather see them take 2 edges vs. drafting a dt high while getting one in fa, but would be happy with oliver if they are stuck at 9.

15 hours ago, dubs said:

I really don’t care what the Pats do. Bills need to worry about themselves. Do that and they will be just fine. 

“Fine” meaning whatever happens is peachy keen to you?

19 minutes ago, row_33 said:

“Fine” meaning whatever happens is peachy keen to you?

Uh, no. Meaning if they focus on themselves and their needs and their plan, they will do well. I’m not even suggesting they are not in fact doing that. But many fans here have a weird obsession with the Patriots. The only thing that matters with the Patriots are:

1) how long will Brady play and play well

2) how long will Billy B coach

3) what kind of trouble will Kraft be in for hiring sex trafficked prostitutes at 50 bucks a pop. 

14 hours ago, JohnC said:

What makes this trade interesting is not why Philly made the deal but why the Pats made the deal. The Pats are probably the most analytical organization in the business. They make a lot of these small splash deals that usually work out for them. I'm not sure how much upside Bennett has left but odds are the Pats will get a benefit beyond what they paid for him. The Pats lose and give up a lot of players but they get enough in return to keep on track. You got to admire how smartly they run their operation. 

Bill loves the older players on 1 and 2 year deals. He has made a ton of these deals over the last 5 years

23 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Bill loves the older players on 1 and 2 year deals. He has made a ton of these deals over the last 5 years

Which has always been a smart move on the Cheatriot's part. Short contracts keep the older players hungry for their next/last deal with either the Pats or someone else in free agency.

26 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

An added benefit to not re-signing Flowers and signing his replacement for a lesser term and amount is that the Pats will get a third round compensatory pick. Not all their moves work out but when they don't they usually have options to make up for them. You have to give them credit for how smartly they work the system.