SI.com: Why Antonio Brown's Trade to the Bills Fell Through

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

I love seeing huge egos get crushed.  AB got his panties in a wad because his teammates voted JuJu MVP- that says a lot.  AB has done all he can to sabotage any adequate compensation.  He is being childish, only agreeing to be traded to certain teams.  And then that team must tear up existing 3 year contract, and make AB highest paid player in NFL.  AB thinks he is calling shots.  He is not.  No team will overpay for him.  And his value is plummeting.  The Steelers are in a bind.  Most every team has withdrawn from trade talks.  March 13 is coming up.  Grab your popcorn.  And don't forget about the Le'veon show.  Last I saw Bell was campaigning to be an Eagle

Bell is not making up the money he lost this past season either....

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I'm not convinced that it's based on whether the team is in rebuild mode or not. I think he'd happily go the the Giants or the Jets. I think he wants the money and a big market city. I do agree with you though that the deal may get resurrected. His agent can take him through the whole TO saga from a first hand experience and maybe he'll see that he's damaging his long term earning potential.

Yes I think that is part of it, yes. I think he'd still want anew deal from both of those too (and Washington might be in that category), but possibly not to same degree as to sign for the Bills, the Titans or the Raiders.

He is trying to dictate where he goes by refusing to sign with teams he doesn’t want to play for. This will ultimately mean the Steelers will either need to eventually accept less in a trade for a team he will “approve” or keep his contract and deal with eventual hold out. He currently has them over a barrel as long as he is ok not playing this season.  (Which he claims he is.)

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, steven50 said:

Shady wasn't a known team cancer, and he wasn't 31 when we made the trade. Down the road for this guy is 34 or 35 yrs old.

I'm not sure I buy the "team cancer" thing. I don't like using that word to be honest in this context, but let me say this.... I think the real problem in the Steelers locker room is still there and is a franchise legend and very difficult, if not impossible, to move on from. Brown is a diva, and walking off the field is not acceptable... but he hasn't been a regular problem child over the last 4 or 5 seasons.... whereas their Quarterback has - calling out coordinators, coaches, teammates etc on his stupid radio show.

On the age thing - yep. You are dead right on that. Kicking the can down the road for Brown makes little sense.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, hemma said:

Beane just got a lot of free advertising from the media.

"I'm serious, have money to spend and open for business."

Did you know Beane spends some nights at OBD? 

His dedication to his job and our franchise shouldn't be tested,he's blessed to have a family that understands his type of work at this point of the year.

Sitting with his family, just outside his office,in a conference room eating delivered take out will take a toll on him sooner or later...thankfully he's a eager,young hired gun at this point in his career...

1 minute ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

He is trying to dictate where he goes by refusing to sign with teams he doesn’t want to play for. This will ultimately mean the Steelers will either need to eventually accept less in a trade for a team he will “approve” or keep his contract and deal with eventual hold out. He currently has them over a barrel as long as he is ok not playing this season.  (Which he claims he is.)

Yea - I get the point that others have made about other teams spending their cap space but there are always ways of giving him a new deal to manage that (huge up front signing bonus that amortizes, bring his hit down this year but more cash up front in real terms). I am entirely with you. Brown is in no rush here. He can afford to sit it out and the Steelers' fake deadlines carry no sway. If he is still there come the draft there will be teams talking to Pittsburgh then too. Does anyone really think missing OTAs makes a blind bit of difference to AB? Nope. Does it make a difference to the Steelers who will have Tomline being asked everytime he is near a microphone? I think it is a distraction they'd rather not have.

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

Did you know Beane spends some nights at OBD? 

His dedication to his job and our franchise shouldn't be tested,he's blessed to have a family that understands his type of work at this point of the year.

Sitting with his family, just outside his office,in a conference room eating delivered take out will take a toll on him sooner or later...thankfully he's a eager,young hired gun at this point in his career...

Doesn't surprise me. Whether they fail or succeed I have zero doubt this regime is willing to put the work in.

3 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Steelers don't need to do *****.  Let AB sit.  He won't sit all year.  Who couldn't use $15 million?  I doubt any team will make AB highest paid WR, especially after this on going childish tantrum.  Steelers should hold onto him, and trade him later in season, or at least after they get adequate compensation.  And AB needs to relax on his demands.  No team will concede.  Smash AB's ego Steelers

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

.Does anyone really think missing OTAs makes a blind bit of difference to AB? Nope. Does it make a difference to the Steelers who will have Tomline being asked everytime he is near a microphone? I think it is a distraction they'd rather not have.

Exactly!  He loves all of this attention. A hold out only keeps him in the news, which he loves.

13 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Bell is not making up the money he lost this past season either....

This is why I suspect it's more than AB simply "refusing" to come. I'd bet if that were the case there would be a blitz of players who love Buffalo trying to change his mind, or Beane would just give it a shot as there's such a long history of players who complain about coming to Buffalo (from Kelly to Shady) who now absolutely love it. 

31 minutes ago, hemma said:

Beane just got a lot of free advertising from the media.

"I'm serious, have money to spend and open for business."

“And willing to trade down for the right deal.”

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Merge if needed but I looked through the last few pages of the other giant thread and could find this article referenced but not posted 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/08/antonio-brown-steelers-bills-failed-trade-fallout

Yolo, no offense, but I'm calling BS on this story.  The Bills had to have had a very good idea how much Brown would be asking for before they opened up serious discussions with Pittsburgh.  The Bills have tons of cap space and they had to expect that Brown would be looking to become the highest paid WR in the league (until the next contract extension).  I don't believe $ was the what made this fall apart. I think this is just the Bills trying to spin the situation to make themselves look better after being left at the alter. 

There's no question that Brown is playing games and he's now got the Steelers painted into a corner.  His goal is to either force a trade to the team he wants or force the Steelers to cut him so he becomes a UFA.  Buffalo just was not on his shortlist.    

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

This is why I suspect it's more than AB simply "refusing" to come. I'd bet if that were the case there would be a blitz of players who love Buffalo trying to change his mind, or Beane would just give it a shot as there's such a long history of players who complain about coming to Buffalo (from Kelly to Shady) who now absolutely love it. 

Yeah like Gilmore, Darby, Jordan Matthews, Woods, Watkins, Hogan, Mario, Dareus, Byrd, Levitre, Maclin, Kiko, Goodwin etc etc etc.

League is just FILLED with dudes who love Buffalo.  Filled with them.

Edited by BringBackOrton

1 hour ago, Figster said:

One of the positives about filling your locker room with players of good character. Something I think McBeane regime has done a good job at so far. It allows you to trade for a player like AB and steer them in the right direction in my humble opinion.

IMO all it takes is one AB to destroy it all.. The locker room could do nothing to stop AB from being a douche to team via the media., See Pittsburgh

4 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Said it a few times, he would have come if the Bills paid him $20 million. I honestly thought they would do it because in the past they did these things. I'm very relieved they didn't do it. It's not the right time for it. 

Actually no.  You could easily time AB's contract to be up by the time Allen is up for a big money extension.   And you want Allen to earn that extension by giving him something other than CFL rejects and #5 WR's to throw to.