SI.com: Why Antonio Brown's Trade to the Bills Fell Through

I think the way Brown looks at it if he is going to a team that is ready to compete he's take less money (none of them seem interested at this stage) he doesn't have to get top dollar. If he is going to a team rebuilding or about to rebuild (the Bills, Titans, Redskins and Raiders all fit into that category and you can make an argument that the Bills are furthest along) then he wants to be paid like the best receiver in the NFL. I don't think it is that unreasonable and from his perspective there is no urgency at this stage. The Steelers want a resolution so that they can put the whole charade to bed but any "deadline" is artificial. 

The Bills were clearly not willing to do what they did for Shady and put themselves on the hook for more money down the road and so talks broke down. 

I am not going to hate on Brown for his take on it this is a big decision about where he plays out his last years in the league. But equally I think the Bills set themselves sensible negotiating parameters. The frustrating thing is it leaking. If this had happened silently it is the kind of deal that often gets resurrected the closer the draft gets. The way it went down though I think that is a remote possibility happen now.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the way Brown looks at it if he is going to a team that is ready to compete he's take less money (none of them seem interested at this stage) he doesn't have to get top dollar. If he is going to a team rebuilding or about to rebuild (the Bills, Titans, Redskins and Raiders all fit into that category and you can make an argument that the Bills are furthest along) then he wants to be paid like the best receiver in the NFL. I don't think it is that unreasonable and from his perspective there is no urgency at this stage. The Steelers want a resolution so that they can put the whole charade to bed but any "deadline" is artificial. 

The Bills were clearly not willing to do what they did for Shady and put themselves on the hook for more money down the road and so talks broke down. 

I am not going to hate on Brown for his take on it this is a big decision about where he plays out his last years in the league. But equally I think the Bills set themselves sensible negotiating parameters. The frustrating thing is it leaking. If this had happened silently it is the kind of deal that often gets resurrected the closer the draft gets. The way it went down though I think that is a remote possibility happen now.  

At this stage of his career Brown has to thinking about the HOF and adding to his legacy - harder to do on a younger rebuilding team like ours. Shady lost all of last season here

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not convinced that it's based on whether the team is in rebuild mode or not. I think he'd happily go the the Giants or the Jets. I think he wants the money and a big market city. I do agree with you though that the deal may get resurrected. His agent can take him through the whole TO saga from a first hand experience and maybe he'll see that he's damaging his long term earning potential.

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have to think the Bills would be willing to make him the highest-paid WR on a 2- or 3-year deal. How could they justify to Rosenhaus not being willing to do that? But if he wants say a 5-year deal and the guarantees that go with that, then as badly as I want to see the Bills add that kind of talent, I can see why they'd balk.

• Like (+1) 1

All things considered, would you rather have AB or JuJu?

I know who I’d prefer. It’s not the expensive old headcase who has trouble playing with other (despite his elite talent). 

I love seeing huge egos get crushed.  AB got his panties in a wad because his teammates voted JuJu MVP- that says a lot.  AB has done all he can to sabotage any adequate compensation.  He is being childish, only agreeing to be traded to certain teams.  And then that team must tear up existing 3 year contract, and make AB highest paid player in NFL.  AB thinks he is calling shots.  He is not.  No team will overpay for him.  And his value is plummeting.  The Steelers are in a bind.  Most every team has withdrawn from trade talks.  March 13 is coming up.  Grab your popcorn.  And don't forget about the Le'veon show.  Last I saw Bell was campaigning to be an Eagle

27 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I'm angry that Beane actually enquired about AB... this is not the character type you want on this team. Quite miffed and I hope to find out it was all BS, and none of this is true. 

One of the positives about filling your locker room with players of good character. Something I think McBeane regime has done a good job at so far. It allows you to trade for a player like AB and steer them in the right direction in my humble opinion.

35 minutes ago, MJS said:

Still seems like speculation to me. More likely Brown heard the word "Buffalo" and just said "no way, agent, find someone else."

How convenient.  It doesnt fit your predetermined narrative, therefore it's not true.  Amirite?

1 minute ago, Augie said:

All things considered, would you rather have AB or JuJu?

I know who I’d prefer. It’s not the expensive old headcase who has trouble playing with other (despite his elite talent). 

He's a very selfish person,Aug.I give my respect to our Military members,our physicians,nurses,first responders,educators etc...not a fool like him.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

How convenient.  It doesnt fit your predetermined narrative, therefore it's not true.  Amirite?

No. You're not right. There's no reliable sources of information, so the information is not reliable and simply speculation.

43 minutes ago, MJS said:

Still seems like speculation to me. More likely Brown heard the word "Buffalo" and just said "no way, agent, find someone else."

That's cut except credible sources saying the Bills weren't granted permission to talk to Brown's rep. 

39 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Shady wasn't a known team cancer, and he wasn't 31 when we made the trade. Down the road for this guy is 34 or 35 yrs old.

Edited by steven50

I hope he gets "stuck" in Pittsburgh!  No offense to the Steelers, but if this were about money (and I know he wanted more guaranteed), he overplayed his hand because (as a previous poster said) Teams will be spending their FA dollars starting this weekend and he could be left out in the cold.  Here's hoping!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thanks Yolo, other thread is now a lost cause at that length.  

Basically what most of us with our head still attached to our shoulders thought.  It wasn't that AB wouldn't come here, it was the contract he was going to demand with whoever traded for him. 

Ultimately, AB is going to have to realize the market is not there for his wishes.  And he either has to suck it up and crawl back to Pitt, or accept he is a very well paid WR already and keep playing on his deal with a new team.  

This will be interesting to follow.  

Or he can make good on his threat and retire...