SI.com: Why Antonio Brown's Trade to the Bills Fell Through

How the Bills’ talks went down help to illustrate that. Buffalo first inquired about Brown on Tuesday, and talks went in a positive direction between the two teams from there. Positive enough, in fact, that the Bills got permission to discuss the deal with Brown’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus.

By early Friday morning, things had come undone. How? Two things had to come together for a deal to be done: the trade comp had to be agreed to—and I’m told the sides were in the ballpark on that—and the team acquiring the player has to make sure everything’s right with the player (a process that would eventually, for example, include a physical), and it wasn’t.

The Bills could have offered Brown more than Odell Beckham Jr. is getting in New York, as the NFL’s most richly compensated receiver, and maybe that would’ve convinced Brown to play there. They didn’t offer that, and the deal is now dead.

so it’s more about money than I thought. And I assumed the Bills were willing to pay him whatever he wanted, and they weren’t. So he refused to go... more than just about the team/city.

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

It's there - I posted it LOL

That thread is a dumpster fire now... couldn’t find anything 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Merge if needed but I looked through the last few pages of the other giant thread and could find this article referenced but not posted 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/03/08/antonio-brown-steelers-bills-failed-trade-fallout

I just get the feeling that Brown is going to end up doing sit-ups in his driveway surrounded by reporters.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 5

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

That thread is a dumpster fire now... couldn’t find anything 

I was going to edit my response on here to say that. When you hit 80+ pages and honestly (it is the same crap be regurgitated) you can't find anything. It moves too fast

Just now, JoeF said:

I just get the feeling that Brown is going to end up doing sit-ups in his driveway surrounded by reporters.  

Was TO really this bad though?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JoeF said:

At a price of $500 per video. Somewhat relieved it fell through. He wants a serious pay increase. JA doesn't need this headache.

Edited by qwksilver
  • Like (+1) 3

Thanks Yolo, other thread is now a lost cause at that length.  

Basically what most of us with our head still attached to our shoulders thought.  It wasn't that AB wouldn't come here, it was the contract he was going to demand with whoever traded for him. 

Ultimately, AB is going to have to realize the market is not there for his wishes.  And he either has to suck it up and crawl back to Pitt, or accept he is a very well paid WR already and keep playing on his deal with a new team.  

This will be interesting to follow.  

• Like (+1) 3

I’m kind of relieved that the situation wasn’t the Bills offering him the deal he wanted and him saying “nah, I’m good.” Not saying he had buffalo on top of his list but at least the Bills has standards too and weren’t groveling. 

And yeah, the Buffalo jokes were a bit much. I’m glad the real story is out there

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 9

If we got AB for a 2nd and a 4th rd pick I could see the Steelers being happy with that. 

I wouldn’t rate any WR from this draft as a 1st rd pick so I can understand why Beanie would rather trade for a proven WR. AB on the other hand is a nut case and we already have one of those at the WR position in Zay Jones. I think we dodged a bullet here because I think AB would’ve destroyed team chemistry and I think we would’ve signed him to a large contract and only got 

minimum effort.

I keep reading that the list of possible trade partners gets smaller and smaller the longer this drags on. AB is making it really difficult. He has a short list of teams he wants to go to and then beyond that he wants to be the highest paid receiver in football at 31 years old. Excellent player but at his age I think most any team is gonna take issue in making him the highest paid player at his position. And then of course there's all the baggage and BS he brings. But... you gotta assume that if the Bills were serious about acquiring him then, at this point, they must feel as though their locker room is strong enough to handle a guy like AB. That's a good thing. That was one of my mild concerns early on as they explained their plans on how they wanna build this team. High character, team-first guys, etc. etc. all that is well and good but I had always wondered if they'd talk themselves out of acquiring a player who had some issues. But this situation shows us that talent wins out at the end of the day. If you're that good, they'll deal with you. And ya never know, maybe he would've taken a liking to the guys on this team. McDermott doesn't run things like "my way or the highway, fall in line or GTFO" he really seems to preach family/brotherhood, accountability and playing for each other. AB doesn't really embody those qualities but again, the talent is elite and so teams will deal with the baggage. 

I've also heard that both teams had come to an agreement in principle over compensation and that Buffalo was ready to start talking money and contract terms with AB's agent (Drew Rosenhaus) but the news of the trade leaked out before they could engage in discussions with Rosenhaus and then AB just stamped his feet and said, "Baby Brown don't wanna play in no Buffalo!" and things fell right in the terlet.

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thanks Yolo, other thread is now a lost cause at that length.  

Basically what most of us with our head still attached to our shoulders thought.  It wasn't that AB wouldn't come here, it was the contract he was going to demand with whoever traded for him. 

Ultimately, AB is going to have to realize the market is not there for his wishes.  And he either has to suck it up and crawl back to Pitt, or accept he is a very well paid WR already and keep playing on his deal with a new team.  

This will be interesting to follow.  

I like that we took a swing and were smart enough to stick to our guns and not be foolish

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I'm angry that Beane actually enquired about AB... this is not the character type you want on this team. Quite miffed and I hope to find out it was all BS, and none of this is true. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m kind of relieved that the situation wasn’t the Bills offering him the deal he wanted and him saying “nah, I’m good.” Not saying he had buffalo on top of his list but at least the Bills has standards too and weren’t groveling. 

Yeah, this really reflects positively for Beane.  He again (not that he needed to) showed he is an aggressive GM focused on building a winner and will seriously look at all opportunities to do it.  At the same time, he isnt going to be stupid and make deals that aren't in the best interest of our future either.  

Funny, some people here still hate on Beane and McD.  Yet around the NFL McD is seen as one of the brightest and best young coaches in the NFL.  Beane is seen as a rising star as a GM as well.  For some reason, people on this board have this unrealistic view of them and spin many positives into negatives.  Media doesn't know squat about this team or regime, and its like they buy into that uninformed negative reporting thats rooted in 20 years of being irrelevant and not on the present.  

But, this is a big win for Beane both being willing to make a big move and also be prepared to walk away when it didn't align anymore with what they felt was best for the team.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, JoeF said:

My ‘click bait’ laden newspaper’s ads tell me those sit-ups are bad for me.  Maybe I should wait and see what pill Brown eventually endorses?

There's multiple reports saying everything from he wouldn't show up in Buffalo, to the Bills never got to the point of talking to Brown about what he wanted in a revised contract, to what he wanted was more than the Bills were willing to pay.  

What Brown is flirting with is he may only have until Sunday when teams start pre-spending their free agency money with Wednesday being the official.  He could be in a situation where a lot of teams have spent their money and there isn't enough room to take on his contract.  Whatever happened, he may have cost himself money or potentially trapped himself into the Steelers not trading him at all.