Does Beane's serious and concerted effort to trade for AB change your perspective on Beane & OBD?

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

It didn't happen, but there's no denying now our very serious pursuit of arguably the best WR in the NFL for what likely would have been for a relatively hefty price.

No one really was talking about the possibility of that trade as a serious thing and I'm sure many questioned whether Brown is a Beane/McDermott type guy.

Does it change your perspective on Beane, what we're going to do in Free Agency, McDermott's Bills` culture and the outlook of out 2019 season?

It caught me by surprise because up until now I believed what Beane has been telling the media and fans " you don't have to have a #1 WR in todays NFL", if he thought that were true there would have been no need to go out and get AB here. So WR at 9 could be a real possibility if the Bills aren't able to land one in FA or through trade even though I don't think any of these WR are a #1 guy and the ones I feel strong about are 2nd rounders or possibly late 1sts. I don't think much changes in FA, I think we'll swing for the fences on OL help whether that be Darryl Williams, Rodger Saffold, Matt Paradis, Quinton Spain or Mitch Morse I fully expect them to nab 1 or more offensive lineman imo.

2 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Changes my opinion of what a "process guy" is. Surprised we almost made that move. I guess Beane wasn't joking when he said they weren't looking for choir boys.

And thank god he wasn’t kidding. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I agree with a lot of this.  The problem is that whatever due diligence Beane did on AB, if the reports that Brown wouldn't show up in Buffalo are true, then Beane's due diligence either led him astray or this was an example of him rolling the dice on an uber talented player assuming he would just "fall in line" once he got absorbed into Buffalo.

I hope it's the latter more than the former.

Well this is a process before he can talk to the player too.  

4 hours ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

absolutely. I liked the haymaker Beane tried to swing at the NFL. Didn't think he'd ever do it before yesterday.. but he's showing he's aware we're reaching a critical point in his rebuild when I was worried he was going to keep milking a rebuild with zero vets.

This 100 percent. I'm glad Beane is willing to take a shot on a marquee player with some character issues. This is a football team, not an advocacy group.

I'm disappointed how things turned out and how it may affect other FA's. At the same time, I have MORE faith that Beane knows he's got to think outside the "culture" box in order to become a winner.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BillsSB2020 said:

This 100 percent. I'm glad Beane is willing to take a shot on a marquee player with some character issues. This is a football team, not an advocacy group.

I'm disappointed how things turned out and how it may affect other FA's. At the same time, I have MORE faith that Beane knows he's got to think outside the "culture" box in order to become a winner.

shows confidence in his staff and locker room as well. He believes it's strong.. now I can believe it's strong.

I couldn't say that before when it felt like we were shying away from anything scary.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm encouraged that Beane explored the possibility of acquiring a great receiver.  I'm also encouraged that he found out that Brown would not play for Buffalo and withdrew any further interest in acquiring Brown.  He didn't "force" the trade by fixating on Brown the player and ignoring all other "stuff".

The more I think about it the more I like that Beane was willing to ditch all the culture talk for an elite player. I prefer hardworking, nose to the grindstone types, too, but I’m willing to overlook a ‘me first’ diva when they are the best at what they do.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Was that what the compensation was?

Where'd you hear that?

I don't think that's bad at all, actually.

So basically a 2nd and a 3rd for a player they must traded isn't a bad trade? It's one of the dumbest trades ever made if it goes through.

To a degree, yes. 

You preach culture and character. You ship out players that dont adhere to your "culture." We all buy in, then you turn around possibly land one of the bigger headcases in the game.

Dont get me wrong, I wanted AB and badly, but it sends a mixed message.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

The Bills are below the minimum cash spending over a 4 year period that the NFL requires every team to spend. They have to spend a lot of cash this offseason. They will. The only question is on what? I'm glad it wasn't on AB. I hope we don't spend cash on WR's honestly. 

Expect the Bills to be very active. 

Thanks for dropping that piece of knowledge. I didn't know there was a minimum. Any idea how far they are under? I'd love to the Beane go on a spree.

6 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

To a degree, yes. 

You preach culture and character. You ship out players that dont adhere to your "culture." We all buy in, then you turn around possibly land one of the bigger headcases in the game.

Dont get me wrong, I wanted AB and badly, but it sends a mixed message.

This is my thinking as well. 

We want "process", high character type guys***

*Unless that player is Lesean Mccoy.  We'll ignore his off field issues, and the precipitous drop in on field production (combined with his grossly overpaid salary). 

**Or that player is Antonio Brown. He's probably the biggest locker room cancer in the league right now. 

I dont think they were that serious. Schefter said the Bills didn't think they had a decent shot at Brown and were just doing due diligence.

This does change my feelings about Beane a little bit. I do like that he was trying to get talent but going after a declining WR who is delusional is concerning in that he doesn't fit the culture and why get a guy whose past his prime when were arent close to contending. Its not like we need just one more guy to win the SB, we are in the middle of a major rebuild and the whole thing doesn't make sense.

12 hours ago, Logic said:

I already am a big fan of Brandon Beane. I think he is going to prove to be an EXCELLENT GM.

That being said, I'm actually a bit perplexed at the attempt to get Brown. 

From a culture standpoint, it doesn't seem like a fit.

From a "having a head case WR yelling in Allen's ear every time he doesn't get the ball" perspective, it doesn't seem like a fit.

Considering McDermott recently says he wants a WR that can work well with Allen, catch passes, then put the ball down and line up and do it again, it doesn't seem like a fit.

Considering McDermott and Beane recently talked down the notion of needing a "#1 WR" in their offense and given the fact that Daboll's Erhardt-Perkins offense historically DOESN'T need a #1 WR, it doesn't seem like a fit.

I fully grant that adding Brown would be a HUGE boost to the Bills offense from a pure talent standpoint. But from all the other angles I just mentioned, it seems like a weird move.

One thing it does is show us all that without a shadow of a doubt, Beane views 2019 as the year to strike and really build up the talent level on this team, and is willing to take risks to accomplish that goal.

I'm beggining to start to like Beane but he should have read the tea leaves on this situation.  It was a major miscalculation on his part . Brown wasn't coming here and other players like won't come here either until we prove to be a competent organization that wins games regularly. When I say players like him I mean divas.

Btw great post I agree with what u are saying .